Chlorinated Chicken

I think we've missed a trick as consumers by not labelling British produce much more clearly and a national drive to back buying British produce too. Its in everybody's best interests and even more so now

I agree. But I also think that it our fault as consumers that we demand the lowest prices and drive down standards, quality and the ability of British farmers to make a living.

It's nothing to do with the effect on people eating it. America uses chlorine to wash chickens so that they can have very low standards on animal welfare.
Whilst this is true, what do they think the welfare is of the other chickens that are imported to this country now? From Eastern European places, for example?

I bet its in the same ball park. Sadly, the majority of people vote with their wallet rather than their concience when it comes to buying food.

Whilst this is true, what do they think the welfare is of the other chickens that are imported to this country now? From Eastern European places, for example?

I bet its in the same ball park

You would lose your bet. EU standards dictate that the poultry which is of low standard, similar to that in America, are banned from being sold here.

I bet its in the same ball park. Sadly, the majority of people vote with their wallet rather than their concience when it comes to buying food.
Its not. All chicken sold in the eu must adhere to the same standards.

The yanks have no livestock standards.

You would lose your bet. EU standards dictate that the poultry which is of low standard, similar to that in America, are banned from being sold here.
Have you seen the standards of the lowest quality UK stuff? Now across Europe and find the worst-allowed version - which is much worse than ours.
Same ball park, I bet you.
Its not. All chicken sold in the eu must adhere to the same standards.

The yanks have no livestock standards.
British standards are higher than EU standards though.
I don't want your chlorinated Chicken baby......canny song, sexy.
I don't want it because its madness to ship frozen chicken half way around the world when we have plenty of space to rear them right here.

Have you seen the standards of the lowest quality UK stuff? Now across Europe and find the worst-allowed version - which is much worse than ours.

You can keep saying that you bet and you would keep losing. The standards used in american poultry farming are so low that they cannot even sell into the EU. We have agreed minimum standards that have to be met.

EU sets minimum standards. Any country is free is go above and beyond (and many do in many areas)

I don't want it because its madness to ship frozen chicken half way around the world when we have plenty of space to rear them right here.
Nah, it's supposed to go :
"I don't want your chlorinated Chicken baby"...... "That rotten shit is too funky maybe".......... :cool:

Are you taking the piss? We spoke about it last week.

This is a great article

So nothing to do with chlorination which a lot of people make a fuss about. We should be focussing on welfare which is also shit across Europe.
Go on....
Where?

Last edited:
So nothing to do with chlorination which a lot of people make a fuss about. We should be focussing on welfare which is also shit across Europe.

We are focusing on welfare.the tabloids are obsessed with the chlorination bit. Possibly as a diversion.

Chlorination isn't the issue, its the reason they need chlorination that is illegal in the eu.

The welfare across Europe is light years ahead of the us, who have zero welfare standards.

We spoke about this a week ago. You're either on a wind up or you're as dim as a poster on another thread is saying.

If you need to chlorinate your meat, its illegal here. Hopefully we don't budge from that stance in the trade talks.

Fingers crossed! Again.

Last edited:
We are focusing on welfare.the tabloids are obsessed with the chlorination bit. Possibly as a diversion.

Chlorination isn't the issue, its the reason they need chlorination that is illegal in the eu.

The welfare across Europe is light years ahead of the us, who have zero welfare standards.

We spoke about this a week ago. You're either on a wind up or you're as dim as a poster on another thread is saying.

If you need to chlorinate your meat, its illegal here. Hopefully we don't budge from that stance in the trade talks.

Fingers crossed! Again.
He could be a chicken importer...

Fingers crossed! Again.
That's fair enough but why don't politicians etc explain the facts that its not the actual chlorine itself but the poor standards of hygiene.

Back