Child Maintance

Status
Not open for further replies.

After splitting with the ex i have learned how shit this system is.

I pay maintenance and any extras required for my Bairn that she requests ie school clothes etc i have a savings account her that put away for her monthly. Worked a load of overtime recently during the pandemic which has increased my payments as its on gross income. To be fair to the ex i get any contact i want in addition to the original agreement.

I get a better job she gets more and will it fuck be spent on my daughter. Company car fucks my tax that's not counted.

Just think it needs means tested
You working it out and paying between yourselves ?
i did the calculation on their calculator then pay that amount
i'm on a decent wage and its not a lot .If you have the bairn more days its cheaper
You should have done what I did. We sat down together and looked at the csa website. Worked out what they say I should have paid and pay that plus more. She then knows I’m being fair and won’t go to the csa as they’ll tell her I’m
Paying too much, especially as I see him more now than when we first split.
Sounds like what i did
fill the boxes in and it tells you the ££ to pay

Last edited:
I thowt it was summat along the lines of 15% one child, 20% two kids, max of 25% for three or more.
Oh dunno, might be. I meant they’re second to get paid, after the tax man, regardless of your monthly outgoings.
Your wife could kick you out, leave you in loads of debt, and move 300 miles away, while allowing you minimum access to the children. Yet you’d still have to pay the csa, even if it left you destitute. It makes no sense by any sensible evaluation.

Just checked, on a £50k a year salary for two kids you have 3 nights a week you pay £363.60 a month.

Doesn’t seem that bad. Might actually ditch the missus after all.

And what if you don’t have £363 a month? Don’t forget you’ll also be expected to feed and spoil them when you have them, and also to pay for clubs, uniform, school trips etc.

Oh dunno, might be. I meant they’re second to get paid, after the tax man, regardless of your monthly outgoings.
Your wife could kick you out, leave you in loads of debt, and move 300 miles away, while allowing you minimum access to the children. Yet you’d still have to pay the csa, even if it left you destitute. It makes no sense by any sensible evaluation.

They tried the individual case route and it just led to people clogging the courts up. Then they tried the individual case route via the CSA but this just led to them taking ridiculous amounts in some cases (80% of net income and the like) while wealthy self-employed etc people got their accounts to fiddle their books to pay nowt.

The percentage route seems simple and fair tbh and cuts down the burden on the taxpayer. It'll never be able to please everyone every time but it's unlikely there would ever be a system that does.

Just checked, on a £50k a year salary for two kids you have 3 nights a week you pay £363.60 a month.

Doesn’t seem that bad. Might actually ditch the missus after all.

I don't understand how this can be a one size fits all thing. I know that not all separated couples involve the CSA. Many I know have just sorted things themselves amicably and sensibly. Is the CSA involved only when it is perceived to be unfair?

Situation 1
Woman is a recruitment consultant and earns 60k, man is a teacher and is on 25k. She leaves the house and he is the primary carer of the children. She has the kids 1 night per week and alternate weekends.

I see how the man should get some payments from her because she earns a lot more and he is paying for most of the kids' upkeep.

Situation 2
Man is a sales director earning 100k, woman works in a supermarket on 18k and isn't able to get a better paid job as she has no qualifications. He leaves the house and she has the kids all week, apart from a Sunday morning where he takes them to their footy games.

She should definitely be getting payments as she is paying for the children on a much lower salary than him.

Situation 3
Man is a scientist earning 48k, woman works in accounts also earning 48k. They split up and live in separate houses. The children spend an equal amount of time in each house. Each parent pays separately and equally for the childcare costs including food, school clothes, Christmas/birthday presents, holidays.

Surely this is balanced, and not what the CSA was created for. No payments need to go in either direction here.

Situation 4
The parents split amicably. Both kids are at school and they spend an equal amount of time at both parents' houses. Parents share the costs of childcare equally. Man is a police officer earning 40k, woman runs her own business but it only pulls in 20k. She is qualified and experienced and has in the past had well-paid jobs, earning more than her ex. She also now has more time to go out and find work because for half of the time he has the kids.

Does the woman have a case to ask for CSA paymnts just because he earns more? Is there not an argument that she could apply for a better paid job to even things out?

You working it out and paying between yourselves ?
i did the calculation on their calculator then pay that amount
i'm on a decent wage and its not a lot .If you have the bairn more days its cheaper

Sounds like what i did
fill the boxes in and it tells you the ££ to pay

Exactly what I did marra

I don't understand how this can be a one size fits all thing. I know that not all separated couples involve the CSA. Many I know have just sorted things themselves amicably and sensibly. Is the CSA involved only when it is perceived to be unfair?

Situation 1
Woman is a recruitment consultant and earns 60k, man is a teacher and is on 25k. She leaves the house and he is the primary carer of the children. She has the kids 1 night per week and alternate weekends.

I see how the man should get some payments from her because she earns a lot more and he is paying for most of the kids' upkeep.

Situation 2
Man is a sales director earning 100k, woman works in a supermarket on 18k and isn't able to get a better paid job as she has no qualifications. He leaves the house and she has the kids all week, apart from a Sunday morning where he takes them to their footy games.

She should definitely be getting payments as she is paying for the children on a much lower salary than him.

Situation 3
Man is a scientist earning 48k, woman works in accounts also earning 48k. They split up and live in separate houses. The children spend an equal amount of time in each house. Each parent pays separately and equally for the childcare costs including food, school clothes, Christmas/birthday presents, holidays.

Surely this is balanced, and not what the CSA was created for. No payments need to go in either direction here.

Situation 4
The parents split amicably. Both kids are at school and they spend an equal amount of time at both parents' houses. Parents share the costs of childcare equally. Man is a police officer earning 40k, woman runs her own business but it only pulls in 20k. She is qualified and experienced and has in the past had well-paid jobs, earning more than her ex. She also now has more time to go out and find work because for half of the time he has the kids.

Does the woman have a case to ask for CSA paymnts just because he earns more? Is there not an argument that she could apply for a better paid job to even things out?
Its just a case of the main parent is treated as a new separate entity as far as what they can claim to help them .The other parent will always be responsible to a point but he/she is no longer the full time parent(they often have a new life with kids etc ),the parent may now live with someone with loads of money etc .So there's a ££ they've come up with which is more to do with thats how much it is per child rather than it goes up if you're quilted . If its nearly 50/50 time share they may not bother but likewise the payment will be minimal to reflect that .If the main parent struggles you go through the benefit system,if parent no2 struggles due to amount paid to no1 they go through the benefit system

And what if you don’t have £363 a month? Don’t forget you’ll also be expected to feed and spoil them when you have them, and also to pay for clubs, uniform, school trips etc.
I know, I was joking. Moral of the story is, don’t split up with your missus I guess.
Pretty simple if you have kids would you rather be in a safer newer larger vehicle or a heap of shite. Cheers for the feedback though 😘
He could pay their bus fare and pocket the rest rather than paying for his ex lass to buy a Q3.

Last edited:
I know, I was joking. Moral of the story is, don’t split up with your missus I guess.

He could pay their bus fare and pocket the rest rather than paying for his ex lass to buy a Q3.
If you think the bus is good enough for your kids then clearly shouldn’t have left it in at the end of the 30 seconds of passion. Suppose if your happy to have your kids being dragged round on the bus then fair enough. Ambition levels on here seem to echo our club atm 😂

If you think the bus is good enough for your kids then clearly shouldn’t have left it in at the end of the 30 seconds of passion. Suppose if your happy to have your kids being dragged round on the bus then fair enough. Ambition levels on here seem to echo our club atm 😂
😂

I’d take my kids on a bus, no bother. A PCP on a Q3 isn’t any more aspirational than getting the bus.

Sensible answer. Do you go through CMA it sounds like you and the bairns mam get on you'd be better off just arranging it by yourselfs. Even if you paid same amount she and the bairn will benefit as child maintenance won't take their % for admin.

Things change so always pay by bank transfer not cash.

Not sensible answer. Start contracting through a Ltd company the payments are based on your salary iirc and not dividends or company profits
That’s not correct, it includes dividends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back