Charlie on the live streaming to pubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nine bar 9formely Shearers) in Newcastle has every Newcastle home match on as they have a feed from the camera inside the ground, there is no commentary yet hundreds stay in there and watch the match instead of buying tickets.
No doubt they'll claim that they aren't lining Ashleys pockets too. :rolleyes:

If the people watching the games in the pubs wouldn't even go to the games if offered a free ticket then surely they won't care if the pubs stop showing the games? So no issue with the club chasing them down.

Would add 500 on to the gate max. Most who watch in the pub wouldn’t go to the games regardless. Don’t blame the pubs at all for showing the games, the price of the fines they get are absolutely ridiculous aswell. Rich getting richer..

Nine bar 9formely Shearers) in Newcastle has every Newcastle home match on as they have a feed from the camera inside the ground, there is no commentary yet hundreds stay in there and watch the match instead of buying tickets.

Fairly sure that’s in contravention of the Premier League rules.

If the people watching the games in the pubs wouldn't even go to the games if offered a free ticket then surely they won't care if the pubs stop showing the games? So no issue with the club chasing them down.

Have to agree with this. I just don’t think there would be any positive benefit in this. The pub dwellers wouldn’t attend regardless, can the club not simply charge the pubs to show the games legitimately (a reasonable cost fixed cost for providing the service)?

Also, why don’t the club provide the option to watch away games at the SoL?

Have to agree with this. I just don’t think there would be any positive benefit in this. The pub dwellers wouldn’t attend regardless, can the club not simply charge the pubs to show the games legitimately (a reasonable cost fixed cost for providing the service)?

I think you've misread what I said? I'm saying the pub goers shouldn't miss not being able to watch the games, so the club have every right and should stop the pubs from showing the games and the pubs shouldn't put up much of a fight.

Showing the game in the pub surely can't be much of a draw for customers if those customers don't give two fucks about actually going to the game?

How many are locked out though?

I think you've misread what I said? I'm saying the pub goers shouldn't miss not being able to watch the games, so the club have every right and should stop the pubs from showing the games and the pubs shouldn't put up much of a fight.

Showing the game in the pub surely can't be much of a draw for customers if those customers don't give two fucks about actually going to the game?

Ah sorry you’re right.

A few points for me:

- Pubs shouldn’t profit from SAFC, however it would be nice if SAFC could work with local pub owners to come to a mutually beneficial solution that allows pubs to continue to show games whilst paying a fee in return;

- I reiterate that I do not think stopping pubs showing games would have a direct positive impact on our attendances. If people want to attend will do providing they can afford it;

- In this day and age all away games at the very least should be made available to fans, not just expats.

Interesting the article doesn't differentiate between the home and away games so can only assume the club's stance is the same for both (officially....though hard to see how it could publically be different!)

but to me, for away games the town is doing a roaring trade on the back of the club, with no detriment to the club (we're selling out away games), the feel good factor is back and good all round.

Obviously there's the home game argument (although I'm with others in that I don't think it has a massive impact....I don't think these pub viewers would go anyway).
But I'm surprised they've brought it up this early (given as I said the pubs getting packed for away games bringing a feel good factor back).

Unless of course Charlie wants us all subscribing at home using isp'sfor a few quid each to get it into the club;)

Should just have a gentlemans agreement on the above.
Blind eye turned for aways but not homes = everybodys happy.

See CM was out Saturday night, maybe seen advertising of home games.
This. Tbh I thought this was how they'd play it this season and review next year.

I shudda read the full thread before I posted as that's basically what I meant too:lol:

Last edited:
Ah sorry you’re right.

A few points for me:

- Pubs shouldn’t profit from SAFC, however it would be nice if SAFC could work with local pub owners to come to a mutually beneficial solution that allows pubs to continue to show games whilst paying a fee in return;

- I reiterate that I do not think stopping pubs showing games would have a direct positive impact on our attendances. If people want to attend will do providing they can afford it;

- In this day and age all away games at the very least should be made available to fans, not just expats.
Yeah, I agree on the whole that this isn't a massive deal and it should be the case that you can watch any game at any time it is shown on TV/computers, but I'm mainly going against the argument that the pub goers aren't bothered. If they aren't bothered about Sunderland they won't care if they are watching the game while sitting in the pub or watching Sky Sports News.

If they are bothered and they actually do care that the pub won't be showing the games (if caught) then they can make more of an effort to go to actual games

Because they aren't allowed to show any 3pm Saturday kick offs in the UK.

Bit different when the stadium is sold out every week

Because they aren't allowed to show any 3pm Saturday kick offs in the UK.

How did Brighton get away with it then? This was a Saturday 3pm game so assuming clubs are able to show matches, unless they just fancied risking a prosecution! CRYSTAL PALACE SCREENING LIVE AT THE AMEX

If clubs are allowed to show away games then they should definitely do it. Charge a small entry fee and loads would go, giving them money for beer at the same time, needs to be looked into. Absolutely support home games not being shown, but away ones should be screened by the club, especially if the game is sold out

Interesting the article doesn't differentiate between the home and away games so can only assume the club's stance is the same for both (officially....though hard to see how it could publically be different!)

but to me, for away games the town is doing a roaring trade on the back of the club, with no detriment to the club (we're selling out away games), the feel good factor is back and good all round.

Obviously there's the home game argument (although I'm with others in that I don't think it has a massive impact....I don't think these pub viewers would go anyway).
But I'm surprised they've brought it up this early (given as I said the pubs getting packed for away games bringing a feel good factor back).

Unless of course Charlie wants us all subscribing at home using isp'sfor a few quid each to get it into the club;)

This. Tbh I thought this was how they'd play it this season and review next year.

I shudda read the full thread before I posted as that's basically what I meant too:lol:
Spot on and why I don't think this is a fight Charlie should be having. Just bite your lip and leave it. Working against it and getting it stopped will only put a couple of hundred on the home crowd but will really piss off loads of lads who attend home games but don't get to away games. It's good for keeping the buzz around the club if we're doing well.

Some kind of gentleman's agreement would be great so home games are not shown but I can't see that happening. It'd be all or nothing.

folk should have a choice. We can't force people to turn up and sit in the ground clapping every so often. Some people would clearly rather have the ability to get a pint when they want, stand/sit with whoever they want and wherever they want and if the match is on then it's an added bonus. You could close every pub in the town between 2:30pm and 5:30pm but there'd still be none of the aforementioned criteria hit so why would the pub goers change?

if we were class the pubs would still be full during games but the ground would also be full. 200 pub goers aren't going to be making much difference regardless.

Spot on and why I don't think this is a fight Charlie should be having. Just bite your lip and leave it. Working against it and getting it stopped will only put a couple of hundred on the home crowd but will really piss off loads of lads who attend home games but don't get to away games. It's good for keeping the buzz around the club if we're doing well.

Some kind of gentleman's agreement would be great so home games are not shown but I can't see that happening. It'd be all or nothing.

I agree it's probably a pointless fight. How many pubs show the match in the town? Sounds like it's 3 or so. How many people do they get in whilst it's on? I can't imagine they're packed out and of that number some will be in there anyway with no intention of watching the game, some will be pissheads who want to watch but only if they can drink so wouldn't go to the game and some will only be having a pint or two because they can't afford to go to the game so also wouldn't go if the stream wasn't on.

Shutting it down might add a few to the gates but equally they might just go and learn how to use a VPN and watch at home. As you say it'll mainly irritate those who can't get away tickets but want to watch the away matches. A highly unofficial, never put in writing, agreement that they don't show home games and the club won't bother acting about the away ones would be a fair compromise imo

Ah sorry you’re right.

A few points for me:

Absolutely not possible under current League regulations as regards 3pm kick offs (both home and away). It's not 100% clear what is allowable for matched shown at other times - it could well be that the permission for SAFSee only covers domestic, and not commercial downloads. It's possible that the club's hands are tied on this, and, at least for home games, I can't see them being remotely keen on pubs being able to show the games legitimately unless they're on Sky or BT.

Absolutely not possible under current League regulations as regards 3pm kick offs (both home and away). It's not 100% clear what is allowable for matched shown at other times - it could well be that the permission for SAFSee only covers domestic, and not commercial downloads. It's possible that the club's hands are tied on this, and, at least for home games, I can't see them being remotely keen on pubs being able to show the games legitimately unless they're on Sky or BT.

Perhaps they are, but the FA/Football League etc. should be giving the fans what they want and move with the times. It seems bizarre that foreign fans have easier access to games than domestic fans.

The NFL show every game, home and away and for the most part, attendances are very high. Sunderland general sell out their away support, it’s rare that we don’t, why then shouldn’t the club be able to show away games to the rest of our support? It’s backward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back