Charlie on the live streaming to pubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the people watching the games in the pubs wouldn't even go to the games if offered a free ticket then surely they won't care if the pubs stop showing the games? So no issue with the club chasing them down.
I would just stream on the phone instead while supping a nice cold pint in the warmth of the pub, then nip over to the match thread when there's a break in play to slag off whichever player(s) have misplaced a pass in the last few minutes.

Yeah, I agree on the whole that this isn't a massive deal and it should be the case that you can watch any game at any time it is shown on TV/computers, but I'm mainly going against the argument that the pub goers aren't bothered. If they aren't bothered about Sunderland they won't care if they are watching the game while sitting in the pub or watching Sky Sports News.

If they are bothered and they actually do care that the pub won't be showing the games (if caught) then they can make more of an effort to go to actual games

I think the option to drink and watch the game is the attraction. If the game isn’t available I’d bet most would either continue to attend the pub and watch SSN or stay at home/look for an alternative. As a form of entertainment, SAFC has been below par for far too long now. The atmosphere is often stale (this can be said for all grounds), it’s more sanitised these days and we’ve had experienced little enjoyment in return. Whilst I continue to go, I fully understand why fans would look for other means of “enjoyment”.

I think the option to drink and watch the game is the attraction. If the game isn’t available I’d bet most would either continue to attend the pub and watch SSN or stay at home/look for an alternative. As a form of entertainment, SAFC has been below par for far too long now. The atmosphere is often stale (this can be said for all grounds), it’s more sanitised these days and we’ve had experienced little enjoyment in return. Whilst I continue to go, I fully understand why fans would look for other means of “enjoyment”.

I think that's a fair point. If they were opting for the pub to watch a great stream with commentary, replays, score and time on the screen and everything I'd think maybe that was convincing them to stay away from the ground. Genuinely don't think anyone who had any intention of attending would decide not to because they can watch an awful, one camera angle, no replay stream that sometimes doesn't even work!

Perhaps they are, but the FA/Football League etc. should be giving the fans what they want and move with the times. It seems bizarre that foreign fans have easier access to games than domestic fans.

The NFL show every game, home and away and for the most part, attendances are very high. Sunderland general sell out their away support, it’s rare that we don’t, why then shouldn’t the club be able to show away games to the rest of our support? It’s backward.

I agree, although as has been said, its just not possible under current laws. Why the powers that be in English football still refuse to enter the 21st century is beyond me, although they must have their reasons (probably don't want to risk their own cartel).

What you say about away games and safc is spot on though, which is why I'm genuinely surprised that they've gone at this topic this season and not turned a blind eye for a while.
Clearly they must think it somehow impacts club revenue (Home games). I just hope they're not using Quinn's 'figures'

Impossible if every game shown on the internet

Clubs made a rod for their own backs agreeing to Internet rights

I'd far rather the club was able to offer a commercial deal to pubs and those that still then blag it face huge fines. IMO virtually all the fans that would watch in a pub will not get off their arses and go to the ground if they can't see it in the pub - but it is encouraging support, maybe leading to the club being a bigger topic at work on the Monday, a bigger buzz, merchandise sales and possibly match attendance at a later point. For away games the sugar coating should be the pubs get it much cheaper - the modern equivalent of beamback.

That said, I don't see why games are streamed live, punting it 30 minutes behind would make no difference to anyone anywhere in the world except in local pubs where fans could come in and blab the result!

People who watch the match in a pub arent going to go to the stadium if they couldn't watch in on TV in a bar, they're in a bar because they choose not to go to the stadium, if watching the game was important to them they'd go to the ground.

If clubs sell their souls to broadcasters then they've got to accept the consequences, I don't believe there would be a significant increase in gates if home games couldn't be viewed anywhere in town, those who prefer to watch it via online streams would do so from home.

remember when we used to pirate and download music, before the music labels caught up and launched spotify, apple music, amazon music etc?

at some point the penny will drop and we will access to game streaming in this country at any time. It’s 2018 ffs. About time the FA, EFL and whatnot caught up

Its almost the same as when Quinny tackled it.

Difference between now and then is a paltry £5.99. As in back then it was free streams, now I imagine the pub pays for the SAFsee stream.

Only way to stop it is to take one pub right through courts and practically destroy it with fines.
However I'm sure the club don't want to do that and would rather they all heed the warning.

But I probably typed all that when Quinn tried.

I don’t agree with pubs showing home games. Away games yes.

Not really as the club then gets 1 X £5.99 for 30, 40, 50 people. Whereas if the pub didn't do it 10 of those might pay for themselves.

Last edited:
I don't think attendances suffer because of the foreign streams.
As said elsewhere on the thread, people who aren't going just aren't going, not choosing the stream ahead of attending.

Look at the figures from years ago fpr Sunderland average attendance with no streams:
02/03 PL 39,698
03/04 Ch 27,120
04/05 Ch 28,821
05/06 PL 33,904
06/07 Ch 31,887
07/08 PL 43,344

So in seasons outside the top flight, attendance drops, and there was no streaming outside of the top flight then. Think it was about 2005/06 when the bars started getting the foreign football on for PL games, and yet in 07/08 Sunderland record 43k average attendance.
Don't forget these days everybody has those kodi boxes etc so don't even have to go to the bar to watch it.

Letting bars show the game is just giving people who wouldn't have attended anyway something to watch.

Certainly not to blame for low attendances. Give fans something they want to see on the pitch and attendances will increase

Its almost the same as when Quinny tackled it.

Difference between now and then is a paltry £5.99. As in back then it was free streams, now I imagine the pub pays for the SAFsee stream.

Only way to stop it is to take one pub right through courts and practically destroy it with fines.
However I'm sure the club don't want to do that and would rather they all heed the warning.

But I probably typed all that when Quinn tried.

Not really as the club then gets 1 X £5.99 for 30, 40, 50 people. Whereas if the pub didn't do it 10 of those might pay for themselves.
You can't make that argument you as those people shouldn't be legally trying themselves;)
And if that's Charlie's reasoning it's a bit hypocritical :lol:

Should perhaps come up with a pub safcsee subscription for away games, but charge a larger fee, to make it in the clubs and pubs interests

They arnt but I bet they largely wouldn’t gan anyway. Do pubs still advertise games like, I’ve not seen it for a while but never in town around match day.

Harbour View had a small board inside advertising Sunderland v Rochdale when I was in there after the game on Saturday. I assume that meant they had the game on live? Apologies to them if they didn't.

Perhaps we should name and shame the pubs who do it and the rest of the home supporters decide not to give them any further business?

Should perhaps come up with a pub safcsee subscription for away games, but charge a larger fee, to make it in the clubs and pubs interests

Its against FA rules to show any games in the UK at 3pm on a Saturday.

If anyone wants to watch a stream of a 3rd division game they are clinically insane.

If it was that important to them they would be at the game.

They arnt but I bet they largely wouldn’t gan anyway. Do pubs still advertise games like, I’ve not seen it for a while but never in town around match day.

I agree with the first sentence. I don’t think banning streams would make one jot of difference to the attendance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back