Charlie on the live streaming to pubs

Doubt banning it would add any noticeable difference to the crowd size. Most of those sat in the town watching it would probably be out on the drink with their mates or whoever anyway, and being able to keep up with the match is probably just an added bonus.

That said a gentleman’s agreement as said by someone else to only show away matches would be a fair enough compromise.

It's no different to the people on here who pay for safcsee and set up their VPNs to make it look like they're abroad and can watch 3pm Saturday home games.

The pubs and fans shouldn't do it but the club's have made a deal with the devil (TV). They shouldn't twist when people exploit the fact that nearly every games is shown live legally somewhere in the world

it is slightly different. Those watching at home are still giving money to the club, whereas the pubs will be paying 1 fee and will be a fair few watching, so doesnt balance completely.

Its a tricky one, but as the club are trying to change things for the better they need local business on side and wouldnt want to cause issues but when it could stop people going to the match (although i dont think 90% of those who watch in a pub would go anyway) they will be pissed off.

It’s simply not worth the risk imo. I don’t know why they do it. It’s inevitable they’ll get caught eventually.
The problem is marra it's a dying trade these days and away from the town centre a lot of boozers are closing. I think some landlords will see it as victimless crime. It's easy to condemn them for doing it, but they've got a living to earn too. The club should look at initiative's where they work with them, not against them.

He’s having a go at the pubs, rightly so.
He actually says we owe it to the fans to run Sunderland in a business like way. Fair play to him
I agree in theory but not with away games and if I finished work at half three on a Saturday instead of half two,or lived a but further from work/the soli might still disagree.

In this day and age there should be broadcasting packages to allow this to be done legally IMO

Theres been a good point made abput away games selling out in a day, plenty of fans who go to home games cant see us away, thats not doing the club any harm

If you sit in a pub spending as much or more on beer than the cost of a ticket then you are not a proper supporter imo.

Tin hat on.
I know 1 or 2 who actually travel to home games on supporters club buses, but just stay in the pub rather than going into the stadium. They might as well just stay local - however it gives them more drinking time especially if their wives / girlfriends think they are at the match.

There's got to be a solution that pleases all parties, but it might be expensive. Ideally we'd buy our own rights and then sell them on - while we're in the lower leagues we'd make more money doing that dealing with local boozers that will show every game legitimately, surely, rather than a game a month on sky.
PL will be different but it's only a matter of time before they realise they're missing out on another revenue stream by selling the live rights to the 3 o'clock games within the UK.

The problem is marra it's a dying trade these days and away from the town centre a lot of boozers are closing. I think some landlords will see it as victimless crime. It's easy to condemn them for doing it, but they've got a living to earn too. The club should look at initiative's where they work with them, not against them.
I fully understand mate. But the fine they'll get if they're caught could put them out of business.

I fully understand mate. But the fine they'll get if they're caught could put them out of business.
I know of one case where the boozer was being watched by the Premier League. The landlord got sent a solicitor letter and copies of photos from inside the pub. They ended up settling outside of court for a lot less. The same place still shows games.

Nine bar 9formely Shearers) in Newcastle has every Newcastle home match on as they have a feed from the camera inside the ground, there is no commentary yet hundreds stay in there and watch the match instead of buying tickets.

Would add 500 on to the gate max. Most who watch in the pub wouldn’t go to the games regardless. Don’t blame the pubs at all for showing the games, the price of the fines they get are absolutely ridiculous aswell. Rich getting richer..

Which rich are getting richer???

Back