Changing culture of the workplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know someone who works for the OU and doesn't have an office anymore, so is either working from home or going to conferences and meetings. She finds it isolating but young people might have a different attitude towards it.
The only reason I go in to the office is for social reasons (and it saves me money). It is quite isolating although we do a lot of video conferencing now over Zoom. I have a team meeting every week with 9 other people in 5 locations.

As a rule the bigger affluent business's or industries can be very forward thinking with how they do things
This holidays when you want wouldn't work in loads of places .Many open the doors every day and the work hits them.It isnt projects you finish a day early leaving you bored etc
The other stuff isnt that radical ,most do it to a point

Okay well thank you for letting me know.

Whatever the benefits are supposed to be, it looks absolute shite.

Do you run that service or something? :lol:

Its got nowt to do with me. Its just an example of how public sector workers can get discounts on entry to themeparks/cinema & shopping etc which you claimed never existed.

Difficult for smaller companies, but managed to be a part of pushing forward a few things at my place since getting bumped up.

Higher salaries
Annual bonuses when profits allow
Better pensions
Vitality Healthcare
Death in service insurance
Outsourced HR so disciplinary issues etc are done properly
Better IT and software so people have the best tools for the job
More training

Working on persuading the gaffa to introduce flexible working hours at the minute.

All the above come at a cost but improve the business, very few people leave, only 2 in the 11 years I’ve been there.

Not having set number of days holiday will probably lead to workers taking less. As some will prove their worth by taking as few as possible.

That’s what’s been evidenced by some of my friends who have that. I agree with everything else bar this one I think

I know.
Then how does the company get any benefit from employing you?
There's gotta be a catch

On average, people take fewer holidays as it negates the mass giving away of holidays at the end of March, to those who haven’t used them all yet.

It also means managers can put pressure on people not to take leave as it creates a culture where your leave is earned.

On average, people take fewer holidays as it negates the mass giving away of holidays at the end of March, to those who haven’t used them all yet.

It also means managers can put pressure on people not to take leave as it creates a culture where your leave is earned.

What would the company do if somebody says "I'm taking the next 12 months off, then I'll be in for 2 weeks and take another 12 months off"?

All these modern companies sound great to work at. You’d be laughed out the room for suggesting some of these benefits at our place. The only thing that matters is profit, so anything that costs the company even £1 that they don’t need to spend is cut. We don’t get Friday afternoons off, unlike everyone else in the sector, and we don’t recognise bank holidays, cos the boss doesn’t understand family time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back