Changing culture of the workplace.

My sister works in the European offices of an American company. They brought in unlimited leave this year. She reckons she'll take about the same as before. If she took more she'd be struggling to get all her work done but it's good to know she can take a few more days in an emergency. I guess it would be a problem if you were struggling with your job and would be questioned about taking leave.

The type of company that has breakout areas and the other shiny baubles tend to be the ones which also offer a raft of other incentives as part of an overall package to attract and retain staff.

I work with a lot of the banks who recognise that it is a very competitive market trying to attract the cream of the next generation and are putting a lot of effort, research and money into the whole employee experience. It’s very high up on the requirements they are looking for in our solutions, mobile technologies, to the point where they are relaxing many of their historical security requirements for all but those staff who are working in the regulated sectors.
Good point. Implemented in an integrated manner alongside initiatives to improve intrinsic factors, they'll certainly be attractive. My main argument is that if people don't believe they have support, flexibility or autonomy, those other things won't help. I think this is likely to be particularly true for Generations Y and Z. As you say, the companies you work with will know this fine well... it's those who try to improve a problematic culture simply by offering free fruit, a pool table, and an hour-long wellbeing surgery once a fortnight that will be disappointed in the results.

Good point. Implemented in an integrated manner alongside initiatives to improve intrinsic factors, they'll certainly be attractive. My main argument is that if people don't believe they have support, flexibility or autonomy, those other things won't help. I think this is likely to be particularly true for Generations Y and Z. As you say, the companies you work with will know this fine well... it's those who try to improve a problematic culture simply by offering free fruit, a pool table, and an hour-long wellbeing surgery once a fortnight that will be disappointed in the results.
Absolutely

If they just locate the offices in city centres instead of business parks then they wouldnt need breakout areas. As staff can then just pop out to shops etc & not get bored at break times.

And it would it would be a boost to our declining high streets. Governmrnt/councils should incentivise it somehow

I work centrally & think its a big bonus, would hate to be based out of town.
It’s a pain as well. I work in Newcastle city centre. If I go out for food I end up spending a fortune.

Does the op vote Labour, is he in a union. Even if he was these thungs sre never going to happen. Imagine a smelly office dog and the inevitable allergies that some people imagine they have, some are even real.
I change election to election but certainly not trenched to the left

Had a pool table at one place a few year back. We were all too busy to use it. The owners had their dog around too. Didn't bother me. Wouldn't call it a perk though.

Our place are signed up to something
where we get discounts on certain things. One lass uses it all the time for cinema tickets. I always forget to check.

Couldn't work at a place that wasn't flexible on hours and working from home though.

I get loads of discounts on stuff like something called perks at work

I also have no doubt that given a laptop and a company mobile I could work from home

Currently the state ours is in to be fair

Last edited:
I also have no doubt that given a laptop and a company mobile I could work from home
Not something I do loads, probably only 4-5 days so far this year, but when it's busy in the office and I need to get shit done, or the bairn hasn't been well, or even stuff like waiting on deliveries it's proper useful.

Likewise flexible start and finish times. Means I can take the bairn to school and then head to work.

Public sector office worker here

- set holidays
- no reduction in working hours
- no perks like memberships or discounts

We do have flexible hours and sofas as breakout spaces though. No pool table, ping pong or air hockey. Just sofas.

Was at our hq in the US earlier in the year, they have full gym, full golf simulator Inc latest ping clubs, separate room for yoga and cardio with dvds, pool table, table tennis and 2 ps4s

Was at our hq in the US earlier in the year, they have full gym, full golf simulator Inc latest ping clubs, separate room for yoga and cardio with dvds, pool table, table tennis and 2 ps4s

Handy that. Hard to save the world from the ills of smoking, salmonella and unprotected sex when you’re playing Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2018 mind

Handy that. Hard to save the world from the ills of smoking, salmonella and unprotected sex when you’re playing Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2018 mind

It was tremendous mind, I've worked in places here with the downtime rooms, table football etc but this was class

Not something I do loads, probably only 4-5 days so far this year, but when it's busy in the office and I need to get shit done, or the bairn hasn't been well, or even stuff like waiting on deliveries it's proper useful.

Likewise flexible start and finish times. Means I can take the bairn to school and then head to work.

Our lass is waiting on a laptop so she can work remotely one day a week, we live a 5 minute walk from work like.

Her job is different to mine as she doesn’t have to speak and if they wanted me ‘in the field’ as it were then I wouldn’t be in an office.

Suppose the kit is expensive but if they wanted for the initial outlay they’d create more jobs where we are as cramped in there at present

Back