1. The forums are temporarily closed for new registrations
    We expect to re-open for new users towards the end of July.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing culture of the workplace.

Discussion in 'SMB' started by daveydavey, Jul 13, 2019.

1. daveydavey

daveydavey Striker

In my experience many companies are making ,or considering making, changes to the way they employ staff. None of the ideas below are new but I am seeing a big trend in companies looking at stuff like this. (I work in engineering recruitment, so speak with employers trying to attract talent almost everyday)

Some of the positive initiatives I have seen an upward trend in recently are:

• Unlimited holidays
    • Reduced working hours
    • Work from home
    • Greater recognition & support of mental health issues*
    • Office dogs
    • Better breakout areas (pool tables, table tennis etc.) - Summed up by the WeWork offices I guess
    • Improved benefits packages around private healthcare, gym memberships, social clubs etc.

*I think all of these things relate back to this point.

These are all initiatives I like, and I'd like to adopt them across the board in my current company if possible. We've recently reduced our working hours and made them more flexible. I think the unlimited holidays idea is really good & that an office dog would be class too, but we work in serviced offices that don't allow it.

I wondered what experiences people have had good or bad with their employers introducing initiatives like this - what has worked well? what would you like to see?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  2. What A Waster

What A Waster Striker

How does unlimited holidays work?

3. MonkeyLove

MonkeyLove Striker

Initiatives
    Culture
    Upward Trend
    Across the board
    'Breakout Areas'

And to cap it all off putting in bullet points. Have a long hard fucking look at yourself Son.

4. daveydavey

daveydavey Striker

A company would need to write their own performance metrics but you would basically give an employee a minimum amount of holidays they needed to take, and then after that they can take days / weeks off as they please - it works on the basis that if the job is being done well (meeting performance standards) you can have a better work life balance.

It is also interesting that in most places who have done this, people take less holiday than they would when given an allocation! that's not the reason we would bring it in!! but it shows people enjoy the work more I think...when they can relax a bit

5. Lambchops

Lambchops Striker

You trust the staff to get the work done, any down time is paid leave

HellsBells and What A Waster like this.
  6. daveydavey

daveydavey Striker

You've basically put your post in bullet points, and are just putting negativity onto a positive thread - so maybe some of your own medicine I think

7. Lambchops

Lambchops Striker

The missus' company have

13th salary payment
    Sick isn't paid at full rate here but 5 days full paid sick days
    Free tea, coffee, fruit
    Lunch vouchers paid 60% by the company
    Summer / Xmas parties all inc
    50% off all thier products for family members
    Pension payments
    Flexible working hours
    Home working
    Plus she got 125% bonus last year

Me, I just get more money but fuck all else

8. Haven’t noticed it, but then I just look at figures, then start on the details

9. The soap powder

The soap powder Full Back

it will depend if everyone Is "singing from the same hymn sheet" but if they not you could "touch base with them later"

10. joemcdokes

joemcdokes Striker

What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

tunstall birdman and fecker like this.
  11. The soap powder

The soap powder Full Back

no idea !!! my boss says it to me a lot and I still dont know what she means

12. OOOSH YEAH

OOOSH YEAH Midfield

Plus you live in a 3rd world country

gasman and Gillythedilf like this.
  13. mickonline

mickonline Midfield

Work is not a place you go but something you do, is the buzz phrase at our place.

Basically it means performance is output based rather than sitting at a desk for 8 hrs.

14. Nicky Winterwasp

Nicky Winterwasp Midfield

She will speak to you about it later.

The soap powder likes this.
  15. Then you'll need to rely on companies not having a change of heart, "moving the goalposts" and "changing horses half way through the race"

16. MonkeyLove

MonkeyLove Striker

It's all about employee experience these days and people have some fundamental things they expect these days. Ie flexibility and digital interaction

17. mcq10

mcq10 Striker

It’s the opposite in education.

Fuckers try to work you harder and harder with less time and resources to do it.

18. Lambchops

Lambchops Striker

No I don't, more lies from the boards resident fantasist

squashjoe likes this.
  19. yorkyexile

yorkyexile Striker

Don`t play the hard done to alone card we`re all in the same boat.....except some of us don`t have workplace assistants when we are crap at our jobs or umpteen training and holidays;) Summer break soon , might as well get the dig in already

Stevie Freestein II likes this.
  20. JohnSmithUK

JohnSmithUK Full Back

I wonder how this will work out for the person manning a supermarket checkout, janitors or waiting in a restaurant?