Changing culture of the workplace.

Canny interesting this thread, so - our lot, aside from the usual pension stuff - work from home randomly (dependent on role) - mostly fine, work from another office (we have a few) for a few days to encourage teams with hotels etc not a problem, event attendance, free breakfasts - ie: weekly shop order with loads of pop, fruit, cereal, tea, coffee, breads etc, free (pretty decent) coffee machine, pizza for the entire office for any new staff, nights out, time off for charity work, some level of flexi time, staff bonus scheme, staff rewards scheme (ie: cashback and offers from quite a few places via the usual myrewards platform) + mental health awareness training. Multiple breakout / chill areas with sofa's + TVs.

We're VC owned, so don't get me wrong can be stressful and has its own challenges - but TBH of others in the same industry, our overall package is pretty good.

Last edited:
We get nothing.

We're not paid for travelling time between clients, only for actual contact time, when you've got through the key safes and actually in to their house, found our folder and scanned in the code. That's when the clock starts.

Sometimes, at Xmas, some of the clients give you a bottle of wine or a box of chocolates or something, but we have to record them and get the client to sign that they've given them to us. We're not allowed to accept gifts of more than £5 value.

Unlimited holidays sounds f***ing tremendous mind. My 33 standard days is nowhere near enough for me.
42 full or part weeks in last year. Mind being self employed means no money whatsoever for the other ten...and ten wasn’t enough off either. No one ever lay on their death bed saying “I wish I’d spent more time at work”.

We get nothing.

We're not paid for travelling time between clients, only for actual contact time, when you've got through the key safes and actually in to their house, found our folder and scanned in the code. That's when the clock starts.

Sometimes, at Xmas, some of the clients give you a bottle of wine or a box of chocolates or something, but we have to record them and get the client to sign that they've given them to us. We're not allowed to accept gifts of more than £5 value.
I thought that was illegal?

Minimum wage for different types of work

Last edited:

Unfortunately not. It's very questionable and borderline, but just about legal.

We get paid £10.44 per hour for 'contact time' with a client and nothing for the time traveling between clients. I've found several occasions when it's worked out that my day's pay has calculated out at less than the minimum and complained about it, but the boss assures me that he always works it out at the end of the month to make sure the minimum wage is met for our total hours out on the road.

To be honest, I'm too tired after working all day to bother keeping a record and just have to take them on trust on that...

The companies that do this care work are very fly by night. They also break the law by not rostering a 20 min break and by regularly only allowing 9 hours break between shifts (finish 2200 start next morning at 0700).

Despite this, I am the one solitary union member at my work - so the union is not recognised. When I try to recruit my colleagues and give them leaflets about paying for travel time, they laugh and say "freedom for Tooting!" and other foolish things. Nobody is interested in joining because unions are 'bad'.

It's no wonder the boss class treats us with contempt.

Back