CC :: Durham v Worcestershire

Chuffed for burnham

lads been through a lot, mostly self inflicted, doesn’t mean you can’t bounce back though

local lad, not polished, coming through, that’s what Durham is about for me

rather try with these lads then getting 95% of your academy lads from public schools

I maybe missing something but does it matter if local lads come from public or state school backgrounds? Both types of schools play a role in producing cricketers and whether you have come from a pubic school background or not the vast bulk of your coaching will come via the county. James Foster as an example, use to spend vast swathes of his spare time as a teenager in the local indoor cricket school which to me is more dedication that anything to do with his school background

I maybe missing something but does it matter if local lads come from public or state school backgrounds? Both types of schools play a role in producing cricketers and whether you have come from a pubic school background or not the vast bulk of your coaching will come via the county. James Foster as an example, use to spend vast swathes of his spare time as a teenager in the local indoor cricket school which to me is more dedication that anything to do with his school background

yeah it does mate

lads in private schools have the best facilities in the country and the time to hit ball after ball all day every day

if you go to a state school in a Durham pit village then you don’t

it’s about 100 times harder to make it as a cricketer if you don’t go to Public school

thought that would be obvious

You've had to come a fair amount of the way before you get to that stage and whether you've had the opportunity to get to that stage.That opportunity is laid on a plate in the private sectors, the vast majority of state school pupils have never even seen a game of cricket unless their family are involved in the game.Almost all The local players in Durham's team are from cricketing families, Burnham the exception?
The basics are acquired at club level, after that it's more to do with character and desire than natural ability.

Far too much emphasis on those 3 figures imho. In reality there's no difference between 90 no and 100. Given the way games have gone so far this season and the forecast for today we should have declared ( but I have never played a game of cricket in my life ! )

yeah it does mate

lads in private schools have the best facilities in the country and the time to hit ball after ball all day every day

it’s about 100 times harder to make it as a cricketer if you don’t go to Public school

Except and as we know that if a young lad shows talent there's a chance he could be offered a scholarship at a cricketing school to develop. e.g. Joe Root, Nasser Hussein and others. Ok, could we say there's a bit of a hiararchy - 1st local lads from a former pit village, former lads from a former pit village who got a cricket scholarship and then son's of rich bustards? :lol: :p

yeah it does mate

Without a doubt.

I went to one of the best state schools in Northumberland. But we had about one PE lesson a year, if that on a shit astro turf wicket.

We played more bin cricket at breaks than anything.

The field we used for cricket is now a big fancy track and field thing mind, which probably gets used by half of Northumberland for athletics meets.

Back