CC :: Durham v Worcestershire

I don’t think it’s misconceptions though mate. Lads getting coached in school from ex pros have to be at an advantage to the state school lot. I had a great upbringing but my cricket coaching was an hour on a Sunday morning (amongst 50 other kids) with a club 2nd XI player. Then going up the nets every night with my mates and basically trying to suss it out for ourselves.

It’s an absolute credit to the system up here that our state school Durham side is as competitive as it is.

Just for clarity we had Stuart Turner (ex essex pro) when I went through the public school system. However, he never went near any age groups other than the school first XI (ie, u18). He was a PE teacher for most of the school year other than April-June. A school would never allow him to cherry pick kids at 11-16 to coach them as there would be uproar by parents whose kids were not given the same treatment. What do you do get is a lot of wealthy parents who pay for private 1 on 1 coaching outside of the school system and you get a lot of ex pros who are like vultures at local clubs with a large number of public school kids (what they never tell the parents is they have zero chance of making their son a county player). What is also a bone of contention for local clubs down here is that schools take kids to school games on a Saturday afternoon to the uproar of clubs. The reason being is that a lot of school matches are mis-matches (ie, school A has a strong school side and school B has a weak side which changes year on year depending on intake) so the clubs miss out and the kids learn nothing about the game or themselves.

I cant comment on Durham too much but we do seem to have a brilliant set up for developing players.

Back