August SMB Photography Competition - Bygone Times - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

How are you getting on with the new camera?

Good. I like it. Life is a bit busy with one thing and another, so I've only really had one day to go out and about with it, but the pics were good. It seemed to me that it was particularly impressive on macro.

I meant to go out at the weekend to do "Bygone Times" but I got laid low by a mysterious bug so I couldn't. I had a mint idea as well. I was going to go to somewhere in London where there's loads of those living statues (Covent Garden, South Bank), and find one dressed as Henry VIII or summat and do a deal: "here's a fiver for half an hour of your time, none of your tricks", then photograph him/her in situations of my choice :-D

Good. I like it. Life is a bit busy with one thing and another, so I've only really had one day to go out and about with it, but the pics were good. It seemed to me that it was particularly impressive on macro.

I meant to go out at the weekend to do "Bygone Times" but I got laid low by a mysterious bug so I couldn't. I had a mint idea as well. I was going to go to somewhere in London where there's loads of those living statues (Covent Garden, South Bank), and find one dressed as Henry VIII or summat and do a deal: "here's a fiver for half an hour of your time, none of your tricks", then photograph him/her in situations of my choice :-D

:-D

This bug - sending you a bit feverish is it? ;)

Glad to hear that camera is working out.

OK, bit of clarification and honesty about my photo/entry.

To be completely honest, I was on holiday up in Scotland the last week of July/August. I knew the last month's heading was 'The Sun' and decided that my shot would be entered, but hadn't realised that it was actually in August when I took it (really relaxing week, hadn't taken any notice of the date. So, when I came on to enter and realised it was actually August I decided to enter it under 'Bygone Times.'

As a result, I have decided that to be completely fair to everyone that it really shouldn't be entered in this month's competition - even though I took it with the monthly competition in mind, it wasn't exactly for this month. I hope everyone accepts this and that it won't prevent me from entering again.

Last edited:
OK, bit of clarification and honesty about my photo/entry.

To be completely honest, I was on holiday up in Scotland the last week of July/August. I knew the last month's heading was 'The Sun' and decided that my shot would be entered, but hadn't realised that it was actually in August when I took it (really relaxing week, hadn't taken any notice of the date. So, when I came on to enter and realised it was actually August I decided to enter it under 'Bygone Times.'

As a result, I have decided that to be completely fair to everyone that it really shouldn't be entered in this month's competition - even though I took it with the monthly competition in mind, it wasn't exactly for this month. I hope everyone accepts this and that it won't prevent me from entering again.

Certainly doesn't bother me - shame really, cos it would have made a smashing entry to the Sun theme.

Not really sure what the problem is if it was taken in August anyway.

It's up to you to decide whether it represents Bygone Times or not.

Happened to me with the motion topic, taken a few days before the month, fitted the bill but somebody drew my attention to it not being taken for the motion topic etc etc, I just binned it.

Lovely photo by the way.

Tip..... dont post ya photo too early, folk get used to them too much!!!!!

It is a cracker of a shot like, would have got a vote from me in "the sun" but I wouldn't have voted for it in this months just because it doesn't meet the theme in my eyes.

no problem with me like, you were honest... get off your arse ant take another one :lol:

That's a cracking shot marra.

I've done some scouting for this month and have a few bright ideas up my sleave - I'll be out and about over the next few days to see how they come out.

It's Ramadan now so i'm hoping to get some really good traditional shots, just hope people "get" them :neutral:

Struggling again this month.

A few "Wild West" type towns round here but all full of cars so it's really difficult to get anything meaningful. There are many close up opportunities but I haven't been able to catch anything that I think is good and meets the theme.

I may have to step forward in time a bit to the 60s or 70s and re-think this one.

Reading peoples comments make me think that the photo I took for this month probably wouldn't get any votes as it won't represent the category enough. I'll still submit it though as it was my original idea, and the location of the photo does (IMO) match the subject. Here are a couple more photos from the walk the other day.

Logon or register to see this image

Reading peoples comments make me think that the photo I took for this month probably wouldn't get any votes as it won't represent the category enough. I'll still submit it though as it was my original idea, and the location of the photo does (IMO) match the subject. Here are a couple more photos from the walk the other day.

You've got long legs Cook. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back