August SMB Photography Competition - Bygone Times - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
JUst a note on the rules folks.

It "appears" that one or two of last month's pictures weren't taken specifically for the competition. As I have been out of circulation for most of the month I'm letting that go but will rigorously enforce that rule from August onwards.

Thanks

AB
Is that in reference to my entry? If it is I'm bemused at what more I can say, or do to "prove" that mine was taken for the comp.

The time of my image 16:00 - the sunsets here at 18:45 (ish) :confused:

The title is Hatta+Oman April - I assume happened when I exported from Lightrooms as some kind of default (from the photos I'd taken in Hatta and Oman, however I don't know because I don't really know how to use it), however anyone with any knowledge of the middle east would know that my photo is of the Arabian desert, not the mountainous terrain of Oman. :confused:

Lets just say next month, should I enter, I'll make it nice and obvious that it was taken for the competition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Is that in reference to my entry? If it is I'm bemused at what more I can say, or do to "prove" that mine was taken for the comp.

The title is Hatta+Oman April - I assume happened when I exported from Lightrooms as some kind of default (from the photos I'd taken in Hatta and Oman, however I don't know because I don't really know how to use it), however anyone with any knowledge of the middle east would know that my photo is of the Arabian desert, not the mountainous terrain of Oman. :confused:

Lets just say next month, should I enter, I'll make it nice and obvious that it was taken for the competition.

When I mentioned the time it was a joke mate as the date recorded is 27/02/2010 (February) so your camera clock is obviously out.

Not necessarily yours, no. I've been to Hatta & Oman so actually, yes, I know what the terrain looks like.

I wonder how many people will be visiting Beamish this month... :lol:

For me 'bygone times' could be anything really.

For example - Bygone Times for Stubber would be chasing Dinosaurs, where as myself just being a young'un could be playing subbuteo it's all subjective.

Really it's similar to the 'obsolete' month, but with a lot more scope for variation and interpretation - which is why I chose it.

Guess where I was last Saturday !!!!!!! took about 200 could enter,but I wont.;)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45130373@N04/4867771161/in/set-72157624546712381/

Logon or register to see this image

Last time I was at Beamish was a school trip when I was about 14 or 15, so around 10 years ago. Don't remember much about the place, except it was always raining when we went.

Aye, last time I was was there was 19 years ago when I took my young daughter there for the day.

Prior to that I'd spent a lot of time there from when it opened, I'd love to go back but it's a bit of a trip for me.

Guess where I was last Saturday !!!!!!! took about 200 could enter,but I wont.;)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45130373@N04/4867771161/in/set-72157624546712381/

Get yourself in there K man.

Never entered before, but I'll see if I can find anything next time I'm out and about with the camera. Got an idea that I could use, but don't think I've got as good a camera as some people seem to have!
totally agree with what peachbum says mate.... get one hoyed in

Aye, last time I was was there was 19 years ago when I took my young daughter there for the day.

Prior to that I'd spent a lot of time there from when it opened, I'd love to go back but it's a bit of a trip for me.

Get yourself in there K man.

Cant break the rules G, taken 31st July 2010.:-(

Some cracking shots of Beamish there K, making me really feely homesick.
Remember the outside netty all too well mate and as you so rightly comment only the rich had bathrooms!! My parents first house had no electricity, no gas and no running water up until around the time I was 5 or 6!!

Remember the outside netty all too well mate and as you so rightly comment only the rich had bathrooms!! My parents first house had no electricity, no gas and no running water up until around the time I was 5 or 6!!
It's the daft things that you miss about home. The wifes at Beamish today and was at the SoL the other day on a stadium tour with my two nephews :cry:

We had electric R, just the one socket hanging from the ceiling with a attachment with 3 sockets, paraffin cooker for the summer if we didnt have the range on, clippy mats etc, dont know that they are born nowadays.;)

Cant break the rules G, taken 31st July 2010.:-(

Perhaps we need an adjudication by AB22 Tiger but if it was taken after the theme was announced, surely there's no problem?

Edit: just seen the theme this month was actually announced on the 1st; I'm sure IIRC that in previous months it's been announced before.

Perhaps we need an adjudication by AB22 Tiger but if it was taken after the theme was announced, surely there's no problem?

Edit: just seen the theme this month was actually announced on the 1st; I'm sure IIRC that in previous months it's been announced before.

Yes, a couple of times I've started it a day or two early.

Right been out for a walk tonight and had the camera with me. Will try and get a couple up tonight after tea, and hopefully submit one of them for the competition. Am I allowed to tweak the photos, or do they just have to be entered as they are (an by tweak I mean a slight sharpen / brightness adjustment, I'm not savvy with photoshop!)?

Right been out for a walk tonight and had the camera with me. Will try and get a couple up tonight after tea, and hopefully submit one of them for the competition. Am I allowed to tweak the photos, or do they just have to be entered as they are (an by tweak I mean a slight sharpen / brightness adjustment, I'm not savvy with photoshop!)?
You can edit as you see fit mate

These are just some of the photos I took this evening when out for a walk with the lass along the old railway line between Alnwick and Alnmouth.

I wasn't able to get the shot I had hoped for to enter in the competition, but I do have a couple that I'm going to have a mess around with and hopefully enter one of those.

Is there any way to un-blur a photo? There are a couple I have taken that haven't turned out as well as I'd hoped (it's as if I've moved when taking the photo), but I'm really not that good / don't have the program to try and fix them.

Is there any way to un-blur a photo? There are a couple I have taken that haven't turned out as well as I'd hoped (it's as if I've moved when taking the photo), but I'm really not that good / don't have the program to try and fix them.

There's no software I'm aware of that will get rid of motion blur or make an out of focus shot into a correctly focussed one.

It varies from camera to camera but with digital there is a lag between pressing the shutter release and the camera finishing taking the pic so just hold the camera in position until you're sure the process is complete.

It's not long but certainly enough to register any movement you make too soon even if very slight.

I really like that third photo!

These are just some of the photos I took this evening when out for a walk with the lass along the old railway line between Alnwick and Alnmouth.

I wasn't able to get the shot I had hoped for to enter in the competition, but I do have a couple that I'm going to have a mess around with and hopefully enter one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back