AOB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah thats great, but the shit on here towards the players is pathetic. Change this change that, he's shit sub him.

Its all down to the manager no one else. I suppose if they did not type this shit they would have nothing to say.

I'm far from saying he's been a good signing but the managers showing faith in him, get behind him when he's selected.
He's on a lot of money and hasn't earned that money - paid for by my 3 season tickets by the way. If he turns it round I'll be delighted like Wyke and Power have but so far he's been a real weak link. If we have a forward who has 3 goals and 1 assist after 20 odd appearances we are going to expect either major improvement or someone else in his place. This is the same with every group of fans at every club.

He's on a lot of money and hasn't earned that money - paid for by my 3 season tickets by the way. If he turns it round I'll be delighted like Wyke and Power have but so far he's been a real weak link. If we have a forward who has 3 goals and 1 assist after 20 odd appearances we are going to expect either major improvement or someone else in his place. This is the same with every group of fans at every club.

Goals and assists is far too simple a view of football. AOB helps us in so many ways that aren't as clear-cut. There was a period of time, especially when Wyke was up thee on his own, where there was no outlet because the ball wouldn't stick. We'd play it out of defence and then immediately it'd be coming back the other way. AOB is a big reason why that doesn't happen any more, his movement, pressing and close control are a huge asset.

It's no surprise to me that LJ plays him most games, or that some people can't see what he offers because their view of what makes a good footballer is too narrow.
Enough to know aob doesn't look like a footballer

What does a footballer look like in your opinion?

His close control is excellent. If it's just because "he runs funny" i will respectfully ignore your views.

Last edited:
Goals and assists is far too simple a view of football. AOB helps us in so many ways that aren't as clear-cut. There was a period of time, especially when Wyke was up thee on his own, where there was no outlet because the ball wouldn't stick. We'd play it out of defence and then immediately it'd be coming back the other way. AOB is a big reason why that doesn't happen any more, his movement, pressing and close control are a huge asset.

It's no surprise to me that LJ plays him most games, or that some people can't see what he offers because their view of what makes a good footballer is too narrow.

His close control is excellent. If it's just because "he runs funny" i will respectfully ignore your views.
Wyke scored 4 in one game without AOB playing. I dont buy the argument you are making but I accept hes Johnson's choice. Personally id demand more if i was manager.

He's one of those players that seems to work hard to make it look like he's working hard, but he's not got the gumption to win that 50/50 ball... Just turns it into a 30/70 ball and rarely gets there when it looks in his favour.
He lacks ability and intent 90% of the time.
100% agree with this , he rarely wins a loose ball , in fact he arrives a couple of yards late to make a tackle , if you watch hime he does this time and time again like its deliberate he does not wants to get into a tackle. he acftually won a loose ball once against Fleetwood and promply gave it away within two strides. I disagree with @Nelson! , his close control is poor , ball bounces off him regularly. I admit I definitely am missing something about him because LJ starts him so there has to be something there. Its all about opinions , I get a sinking feeling as soon as I see his name on the team sheet.

I judge a striker/number 10 on goals and assists. The closest player we have to O'Brien is Maguire and I think in the league he got 10 goals and 10 assists. O'Brien has got 3 goals and 1 assist in something like 20 appearances, 13 starting. That is not good by anyone's standards. What you see is a few flashes nearly always in areas that don't hurt us - hence the lack of assists.

When we apply the press O'Brien does not challenge and never will make a tackle - others like Wyke, McGeady will get tackles in on occasions and win the ball sometimes. I really don't know what you judge as putting in 'a good shift'. There was an idea that he created space for Wyke - well 4 goals against Donny with AOB on the pitch put that particular myth to bed.

For me, and I would imagine most fans, he would be the last name on the team sheet because 1. He doesn't contribute nearly enough in what he's paid to do - goals and assists and 2. He's a bluffer - he makes it look like he's working hard but really he's soft and loses the ball often with ease and has no fight in him to win the ball.

Now, his goal was really well taken and if he carries on like that then like Wyke and Power he will win me round. However, if continues how he has played up to that goal it will be nowhere near good enough. I am surprised you settle for so little.
I literally don’t get what he brings to the side. A non goal scoring CF who doesn’t really get assists. He can be neat and tidy but he’s pretty easy to deal with for opposing sides. But we are winning with him in the side and that’s the main thing for me.

Last edited:
Almost made this post on Saturday and didn’t bother, but the lad has been excellent recently at linking play. Puts a good shift in always and today got a goal for his efforts.

the amount of people wanting him dropped is depressing. What are they watching?

I can only assume they don’t like him because of his poor start.

Well done to the lad, he’s turned it right around and is probably one of the first names on the team sheet at this point.
LOL Take me to your dealer!

Respectfully disagree.

Top teams don't carry passengers. Forward players are expected to contribute.

Most recent example I can think of is Firminio. Liverpool carried him in my opinion last season and look what happened this season to them and Firminios performances.

If your a forward player who can't create or score goals. You get dropped for me

That's a really good post and some people can only judge a payer is there's a very easy measurable output. I don't rate him as highly as you and think that the attributes you mention such as pressing and close control can be hit and miss but its obvious that how he is performing his role is contributing to recent improved results.
Respectfully disagree.

Top teams don't carry passengers. Forward players are expected to contribute.

Most recent example I can think of is Firminio. Liverpool carried him in my opinion last season and look what happened this season to them and Firminios performances.

If your a forward player who can't create or score goals. You get dropped for me

Think that's a terrible example and that Firminio has been absolutely integral to Liverpool's success in the past. Liverpool is all about the structure, the pressing game and Firminio is a leader in that and a great provider. The drop off in Liverpool has fundamentally been down to injuries to key player, key midfielders playing out of position resulting in harm to their structure and underperformance throughout the team. He has been poor this year as much as a result as the team being unable to work as a unit in the way they have.

Last edited:
That's a really good post and some people can only judge a payer is there's a very easy measurable output. I don't rate him as highly as you and think that the attributes you mention such as pressing and close control can be hit and miss but its obvious that how he is performing his role is contributing to recent improved results.

Think that's a terrible example and that Firminio has been absolutely integral to Liverpool's success in the past. Liverpool is all about the structure, the pressing game and Firminio is a leader in that and a great provider. The drop off in Liverpool has fundamentally been down to injuries to key player, key midfielders playing out of position resulting in harm to their structure and underperformance throughout the team. He has been poor this year as much as a result as the team being unable to work as a unit in the way they have.

Liverpool won the league despite Firminio not because of him.

It's exactly why Klopp bought Jota. The injuries is a poor excuse you've believed from Klopp. Leicester have had by far worse injuries than Liverpool this season and are performing much better

Liverpool won the league despite Firminio not because of him.

It's exactly why Klopp bought Jota. The injuries is a poor excuse you've believed from Klopp. Leicester have had by far worse injuries than Liverpool this season and are performing much better

I'm sorry like but you dont win Champions league and Premiership titles with weaklinks you just don't. The opposition is just too good. Liverpool won the league and CL because of their quality but also because of the collective structure and press of which Firminio (and Henderson) led more than anyone. Without the likes of Firminio and Henderson leading the Liverpool press you don't have salah and Mane scoring the goals that they do. With Liverpool its not the number of injuries so much as the players specifically VanDijk and the knock on effects with Henderson playing centre back. Klopp's fault for not having sufficient cover.

Know nowts have written him off. Same know nowts that wrote Wyke off too I’d imagine.

There’s a very apt quote that I saw recently on the Kevin Kyle podcast. To paraphrase he has struggling with the fans getting on his back and giving him shit so he was told by Quinn I think to go and watch a couple of Sunday League games and see the level and was reminded that these were the lads that were giving him stick about football.

Very wise price of advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back