AOB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Know nowts have written him off. Same know nowts that wrote Wyke off too I’d imagine.

There’s a very apt quote that I saw recently on the Kevin Kyle podcast. To paraphrase he has struggling with the fans getting on his back and giving him shit so he was told by Quinn I think to go and watch a couple of Sunday League games and see the level and was reminded that these were the lads that were giving him stick about football.

Very wise price of advice.
Wyke was poor last year and started off this season very badly - he couldn't hold the ball and didn't look like scoring at all. You weren't a know nowt saying he was poor because that was beyond opinion. That he has turned it round is massive credit to him and the manager - he's playing better than anyone could have imagined. AOB hasn't been very good this year and improved slightly. You post is so arrogant and is suggesting that because we aren't good footballer our opinion is rubbish or worthless - well lets close the forum down.

Seems to be doing a job for the side but isn't the most exciting player to watch. Would prefer to see someone like Jones in the side but while we're winning I can't really complain.

Reactions: Dsb
Wyke was poor last year and started off this season very badly - he couldn't hold the ball and didn't look like scoring at all. You weren't a know nowt saying he was poor because that was beyond opinion. That he has turned it round is massive credit to him and the manager - he's playing better than anyone could have imagined. AOB hasn't been very good this year and improved slightly. You post is so arrogant and is suggesting that because we aren't good footballer our opinion is rubbish or worthless - well lets close the forum down.

Not arrogant at all it’s true. “He’s shite”, “Horrendous”, “Worst player to ever play for the club” are all opinions that have been levelled against a number of our players. By posters that wipe out the years of dedication and sacrifice that each players has made, no concession to the situation of coaching, tactics, fitness, form just “he’s shite”. Even now when the lad is contributing assists and goals his still getting it; and don’t underestimate his presence in the form of Wyke either.

Every one is entitled to their opinion, and they are like arseholes, everybody has one. But just like arseholes some f***ing stink!

And that’s my opinion and I’m ok with it and I’m ok in the main with anybody else’s too.

Just every now and again it’s like give it a f***ing rest with all the negative shite!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not arrogant at all it’s true. “He’s shite”, “Horrendous”, “Worst player to ever play for the club” are all opinions that have been levelled against a number of our players. By posters that wipe out the years of dedication and sacrifice that each players has made, no concession to the situation of coaching, tactics, fitness, form just “he’s shite”. Even bow when the lad is contributing assists and goals his still getting it; and don’t underestimate his presence in the form of Wyke either.

Every one is entitled to their opinion, and they are like arseholes, everybody has one. But just like arsehole some f***ing stink!

And that’s my opinion and I’m ok with it and I’m ok in the main with anybody else’s too.

Just every now and again it’s like give it a f***ing rest with shite!
Suggesting people were know nowts because they slagged off Wyke is just rubbish. Wyke was playing poorly for an extended period - I would suggest people who said he wasn't playing poorly actually did know something about football.

As for AOB - I could accept the argument that he created space for Wyke until Wyke scored 4 against Donny when O'Brien wasn't playing. The only person making Wyke tick is McGeady. I think your posts have been arrogant - just my opinion - its this idea that only people who really know about football can see O'Brien's value, the rest of us don't really understand the game. Pretty arrogant in my opinion.

Know nowts have written him off. Same know nowts that wrote Wyke off too I’d imagine.

There’s a very apt quote that I saw recently on the Kevin Kyle podcast. To paraphrase he has struggling with the fans getting on his back and giving him shit so he was told by Quinn I think to go and watch a couple of Sunday League games and see the level and was reminded that these were the lads that were giving him stick about football.

Went to a restaurant once and the chicken was undercooked. Didn't complain about it though because I'm not Michelin star chef.

I don't think he has enough quality on the ball and to some extent he's shoehorned into this formation.

He's work rate and running of the channels is very good though. He leads the press impressively which allows us to win the ball back in more dangerous positions as well.
His movement for the goal tonight was excellent.

I wouldn't go as far as saying he's the first name on the team sheet, but I have no objections particularly to him being in the starting 11. He probably tires the opposition out a lot as well which works well for our more skilful types who come off the bench.
League 1 teams have difficulty with AOB & Wyke together as they pull their back line all over the place, allowing our midfielders into the mix. Wyke and Geads sometimes get 2 markers each I've noticed.

Suggesting people were know nowts because they slagged off Wyke is just rubbish. Wyke was playing poorly for an extended period - I would suggest people who said he wasn't playing poorly actually did know something about football.

As for AOB - I could accept the argument that he created space for Wyke until Wyke scored 4 against Donny when O'Brien wasn't playing. The only person making Wyke tick is McGeady. I think your posts have been arrogant - just my opinion - its this idea that only people who really know about football can see O'Brien's value, the rest of us don't really understand the game. Pretty arrogant in my opinion.

Criticism is fine when it’s justified and Wyke deserved his fair share for sure. But writing off the individual as shite when the team wasn’t/isn’t functioning and then continuing to give the lad pelters when he’s contributing shows the depth of knowledge and appreciation of football.

The Doncaster argument is a little thin, McGeady was unplayable that day and everything he did came off. Those days happened every now and again but the movement of individuals, units and team creat a lot more regularly than that level of individual brilliance.

I don’t mind being called arrogant, not the first time and it won’t be the last, but I believe my posts to be considered and I’m happy to debate anything - even to change that opinion too when people provide a reasoned , considered counter opinion too.

But the “he’s shite” argument against AOB , Leadbitter, Scowen being the main targets currently is pissing me right off! And I had a bit of a rant.
Went to a restaurant once and the chicken was undercooked. Didn't complain about it though because I'm not Michelin star chef.

Such a lineal argument around one easily substantiated fact, doesn’t really fit in with a many levelled critique of a players ability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Criticism is fine when it’s justified and Wyke deserved his fair share for sure. But writing off the individual as shite when the team wasn’t/isn’t functioning and then continuing to give the lad pelters when he’s contributing shows the depth of knowledge and appreciation of football.

The Doncaster argument is a little thin, McGeady was unplayable that day and everything he did came off. Those days happened every now and again but the movement of individuals, units and team creat a lot more regularly than that level of individual brilliance.

I don’t mind being called arrogant, not the first time and it won’t be the last, but I believe my posts to be considered and I’m happy to debate anything - even to change that opinion too when people provide a reasoned , considered counter opinion too.

But the “he’s shite” argument against AOB , Leadbitter, Scowen being the main targets currently is pissing me right off! And I had a bit of a rant.

Such a lineal argument around one easily substantiated fact, doesn’t really fit in with a many levelled critique of a players ability.

Same lame logic applied though. Nobody is allowed to talk aboit anything unless they have more ability than the person they ate talking about.

---------------------------------------
As an aside.

Under Johnson:

Wyke has played 796 minutes alongside O'Brien scoring 5 goals.

Wyke has played 494 minutes without O'Brien on the pitch and scored 10 goals.

Can we at least put to bed the myth that Wyke is scoring more because O'Brien is playing?

Same lame logic applied though. Nobody is allowed to talk aboit anything unless they have more ability than the person they ate talking about.

---------------------------------------
As an aside.

Under Johnson:

Wyke has played 796 minutes alongside O'Brien scoring 5 goals.

Wyke has played 494 minutes without O'Brien on the pitch and scored 10 goals.

Can we at least put to bed the myth that Wyke is scoring more because O'Brien is playing?

No it’s not the same logic at all. But ok.

I love a stat but again thats a little one dimensional. And for the record I never said Wyke is scoring more due to playing alongside O’Brien either, I did say that his form has improved. I will argue that Wyke is retaining possession more and being active in linking up play due to the presence of another body playing higher, that happens to be O’Brien. I would also proffer that our wide players, McGeady in particular have more regular access to 1v1 situations due to defenders being occupied by both strikers.

There a many dimensions to consider in a players influence.

Great signing by Parky

No it’s not the same logic at all. But ok.

I love a stat but again thats a little one dimensional. And for the record I never said Wyke is scoring more due to playing alongside O’Brien either, I did say that his form has improved. I will argue that Wyke is retaining possession more and being active in linking up play due to the presence of another body playing higher, that happens to be O’Brien. I would also proffer that our wide players, McGeady in particular have more regular access to 1v1 situations due to defenders being occupied by both strikers.

There a many dimensions to consider in a players influence.

That second part wasn't directed at you which was why I put a line between.

I'd agree with McGeady. I'd also add to that McGeady gets the ball more often in better postitions when we play a more fluid 433 rather than the dysfunctional 4222 we played to include O'Brien.

That second part wasn't directed at you which was why I put a line between.

I'd agree with McGeady. I'd also add to that McGeady gets the ball more often in better postitions when we play a more fluid 433 rather than the dysfunctional 4222 we played to include O'Brien.

Ah ok. Apologies.

I agree although LJ seems to want him and Gooch to play tuck into the inside forward area which certainly narrows the pitch on our left side as there’s no chance of McGeady trusting McFadzen on the overlap! McLoughlin does occupy that space on occasion.

McGeady has been tremendous recently and that clipped service when tucked in has proven near impossible to defend. Long may it continue.

Good point.

When we play 433 (the formation that looks the most productive for us) there is no place for him - front three of Gooch, McGeady and Wyke (with Diamond and Jones as alternatives out wide) and perm any three from O9, Scowen, Power, Leadbitter and Neil for the CM3. Unless Wyke is injured, it's hard to see where he gets a game (Stewart being injured helps him). Willis, Flanagan, Hume, Xjemajli and Wright being on the sick list is the only reason he's playing now.

He does try his best, but, for a team trying to get promoted, his best doesn't look to be good enough.

The lad obviously had good references for Parky to sign him.
Like McFadzean? Like Matthews?

Bollocks man.

The highest praise people can pay O’Brien is that he creates space and males runs off the ball. Aye sound.

What does he bring to the side apart from that? With the ball at his feet? He doesn’t look like he could finish his tea and looks poor on the ball. He’s a nothing player, if was any good he’d not be leaving a shite Millwall side in his prime for a shite Sunderland side to be a bit part player. And as a player who only creates space for others, that’s all he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back