AOB

He's one of those players that seems to work hard to make it look like he's working hard, but he's not got the gumption to win that 50/50 ball... Just turns it into a 30/70 ball and rarely gets there when it looks in his favour.
He lacks ability and intent 90% of the time.

Surprised this hasn’t been mentioned more. Gets through plenty running but as you say, seems to stop when he gets close enough to the ball.

Improved massively since Parkinson left and took his goal really well last night, but still wouldn’t be in the first 11 for me.

Almost made this post on Saturday and didn’t bother, but the lad has been excellent recently at linking play. Puts a good shift in always and today got a goal for his efforts.

the amount of people wanting him dropped is depressing. What are they watching?

I can only assume they don’t like him because of his poor start.

Well done to the lad, he’s turned it right around and is probably one of the first names on the team sheet at this point.
I judge a striker/number 10 on goals and assists. The closest player we have to O'Brien is Maguire and I think in the league he got 10 goals and 10 assists. O'Brien has got 3 goals and 1 assist in something like 20 appearances, 13 starting. That is not good by anyone's standards. What you see is a few flashes nearly always in areas that don't hurt us - hence the lack of assists.

When we apply the press O'Brien does not challenge and never will make a tackle - others like Wyke, McGeady will get tackles in on occasions and win the ball sometimes. I really don't know what you judge as putting in 'a good shift'. There was an idea that he created space for Wyke - well 4 goals against Donny with AOB on the pitch put that particular myth to bed.

For me, and I would imagine most fans, he would be the last name on the team sheet because 1. He doesn't contribute nearly enough in what he's paid to do - goals and assists and 2. He's a bluffer - he makes it look like he's working hard but really he's soft and loses the ball often with ease and has no fight in him to win the ball.

Now, his goal was really well taken and if he carries on like that then like Wyke and Power he will win me round. However, if continues how he has played up to that goal it will be nowhere near good enough. I am surprised you settle for so little.

I judge a striker/number 10 on goals and assists. The closest player we have to O'Brien is Maguire and I think in the league he got 10 goals and 10 assists. O'Brien has got 3 goals and 1 assist in something like 20 appearances, 13 starting. That is not good by anyone's standards. What you see is a few flashes nearly always in areas that don't hurt us - hence the lack of assists.

When we apply the press O'Brien does not challenge and never will make a tackle - others like Wyke, McGeady will get tackles in on occasions and win the ball sometimes. I really don't know what you judge as putting in 'a good shift'. There was an idea that he created space for Wyke - well 4 goals against Donny with AOB on the pitch put that particular myth to bed.

For me, and I would imagine most fans, he would be the last name on the team sheet because 1. He doesn't contribute nearly enough in what he's paid to do - goals and assists and 2. He's a bluffer - he makes it look like he's working hard but really he's soft and loses the ball often with ease and has no fight in him to win the ball.

Now, his goal was really well taken and if he carries on like that then like Wyke and Power he will win me round. However, if continues how he has played up to that goal it will be nowhere near good enough. I am surprised you settle for so little.

Yeah I feel like I have been a lone voice in asking why Maguire not involved more

Fully accept he was poor earlier in the year, but he has been really good off bench lately, with the team more organised and confident think he'd be ideal alongside Wyke, just a bit more class.

Think Johnson missing a slight trick

O'Brien doing a job for the team but he ain't great like

Was poor 1st half, thought his reaction in the tunnel when they came off at half time spoke volumes. Seemed really pissed off and I took it as a lad who'd had a stinker and was gutted, puts a proper shift in which is a massive plus point.

He's one of those players that seems to work hard to make it look like he's working hard, but he's not got the gumption to win that 50/50 ball... Just turns it into a 30/70 ball and rarely gets there when it looks in his favour.
He lacks ability and intent 90% of the time.
That is exactly my view - anyone watch him when he's closing down he will always slow down so he doesn't need to make a challenge - he's a complete bluffer of a player - he seems to fool some including with some airy fairy flick on the half way line and find another Sunderland player - he scored a good goal but its so rare he actually hurts the other team with his flicks and his running - compare that to Wyke, Gooch, Jones, Diamond who are always putting teams on the back foot. I just see so little from O'Brien but the main issue I have with him is your point - his lack of intent.

I think hes been ok lately and comes in for a lot of unfair stick. For me he has good control for this level, gets himself into good positions but for some reason doesn't seem to influence the game as much as he should and I dont know the reason for this as I think hes a decent player...
I'd argue the point that he influences the game when not he isnt directly involved, his runign down channels and pulling defenders away from Wyke means that Wyke has more space / chances.

Almost made this post on Saturday and didn’t bother, but the lad has been excellent recently at linking play. Puts a good shift in always and today got a goal for his efforts.

the amount of people wanting him dropped is depressing. What are they watching?

I can only assume they don’t like him because of his poor start.

Well done to the lad, he’s turned it right around and is probably one of the first names on the team sheet at this point.
Doesn't look or play like a footballer
Any other business

This forum is about an exchange of opinions. I would never boo a Sunderland player but I think O'Brien has been a rubbish signing.

Yeah thats great, but the shit on here towards the players is pathetic. Change this change that, he's shit sub him.

Its all down to the manager no one else. I suppose if they did not type this shit they would have nothing to say.

I'm far from saying he's been a good signing but the managers showing faith in him, get behind him when he's selected.

Yeah thats great, but the shit on here towards the players is pathetic. Change this change that, he's shit sub him.

Its all down to the manager no one else. I suppose if they did not type this shit they would have nothing to say.

I'm far from saying he's been a good signing but the managers showing faith in him, get behind him when he's selected.
:lol::lol:

Back