AOB

I’m genuinely shocked by the replies to this. I think he’s been excellent. The ball now sticks, largely because of his close control and his movement provides opportunities for forward passes that we didn’t have before.

I'm not surprised that the majority aren't effusive in their praise of him. He's not exactly high quality and he's not particularly exciting. However, I tend to agree that he holds the ball up/shields it from defenders better than anyone else in the side. He also runs the channels well. That's occupying defenders even when the ball goes nowhere near him. Neither aspect is half as interesting as a player that dribbles or one that scores. He's no world beater, but that's not to say he isn't doing a decent job.

He's one of those players that seems to work hard to make it look like he's working hard, but he's not got the gumption to win that 50/50 ball... Just turns it into a 30/70 ball and rarely gets there when it looks in his favour.
He lacks ability and intent 90% of the time.

Almost made this post on Saturday and didn’t bother, but the lad has been excellent recently at linking play. Puts a good shift in always and today got a goal for his efforts.

the amount of people wanting him dropped is depressing. What are they watching?

I can only assume they don’t like him because of his poor start.

Well done to the lad, he’s turned it right around and is probably one of the first names on the team sheet at this point.
Good post. His resurgence under LJ hasn't been as astounding as Wyke's, but the effect it's having should be clear? He did absolutely nowt toward the start of the season, but in the last few games off the top of my head I can remember 2 well taken goals, a lovely assist and 2-3 times he's drawn men from Wyke.

Today he got his reward - with Wyke going POMO, he got to lap up McGeady's ridiculous delivery.

No-one should be surprised we look better in Division 3 playing 2 up top than 1 mind.

Works very hard and if he can get a few more goals will be real asset. People saying Jones offers more well he is not a real option to swap with o brien he could come in for gooch or Mc geady but think he good option last half hour for now. O’Brien helps pull centre half’s out of position as well which gives wyke bit more space and hence his tally of goals

Always seems powder puff, soft as clarts, Cedric Soft to me.

But then.....real aggression to get across his man for the goal....a really good goal - what do i know?!

He presses, works hard, allows Chas to float around. He's in there for his defensive work too, presses, clears a lot of high balls into our box from set pieces. He's a crap footballer mind, not the cleverest in terms of a footballing brain, no real natural talent. An extra midfielder, link player. I'd be amazed if he makes the full journey with us.

Last edited:
2 of my best pals are Millwall fans , I kept saying he will come good, though I was even doubting what I was saying. I'm pleased for him though as hes a grafter, not just on the pitch but in training too, a real good pro by all accounts

Works very hard and if he can get a few more goals will be real asset. People saying Jones offers more well he is not a real option to swap with o brien he could come in for gooch or Mc geady but think he good option last half hour for now. O’Brien helps pull centre half’s out of position as well which gives wyke bit more space and hence his tally of goals

Wyke has scored more goals when O'Brien hasn't even been on the pitch under Johnson alone so he must be pulling them off the pitch to sit with him on the bench.

Always seems powder puff, soft as clarts, Cedric Soft to me.

But then.....real aggression to get across his man for the goal....a really good goal - what do i know?!
Against Burton the ball was going out as it does a dozen times a match, he managed to get a Burton player so riled up that another Burton player ran over and got himself sent off.
Also isn't he like a Millwall youth? He's probably not soft.

Last edited:
When he plays, he's one of the most important players in turning defence into attack. He's the one making the runs, showing for the ball and then feeding it on to the others as they get forward. Wyke's movement is improving, but he's still fairly static, so AOB is the one doing the donkey work.

He's not blessed with much footballing ability but on the days when he's doing the simple things well (controlling the ball and finding a teammate) he's contributing to the system that is giving McGeady and Gooch space. And I think Hume will be another player to really benefit from it once he's back.

So yea, Jones is a much better footballer, but at the moment AOB appears to be doing the job that the manager wants him to do. I'd be more inclined to keep things as they are and just alternate Jones with Gooch.

Runs the channels, finds pockets of space and puts defenders under pressure. Bottles tackles at times though.

He's playing ok, I personally would like to see Maguire given an opportunity in that role but I think that ship has sailed now as he doesn't seem to quite fit in with LJ.

Back