Anyone recommend me a new tv?

They might have one or two in £5k bracket that get into the top 10 but at sensible level it's dominated by Samsung, Panasonic and Sony in the reviews I've seen.
3k will get you a 65" 2016 LG OLED add £300 for a pro calibration and it will blow your socks off streets ahead of any Panny Sony or Samsung £2100 will get you a 55"

I was wondering where the term came from - I just assumed it was short for "Quantum Dot LED". Which I guess it actually is, but done in a cynical way as you pointed out.

I would imagine the 2017 QD LED tellies are better than the 2016 ones though, and so will be very good, no?

They are better but absolutely not worth the extra compared to the ks* range imo!

Best Panasonic you can afford.

Bomb proof and have picture quality up there with the best if not the best depending on exact model.

Edit - LG are second tier compared with Panasonic, Sony, Samsung.

There's no comparison, LG OLED are the best.

I've had my 42" LG telly for 8 years now and am considering an upgrade. I've seen a few decent looking LG models for around £400 but want to make sure I buy something which will last a similar amount of time. Any recommendations for under £600?

Used to be the case. Not anymore.

I would respectfully disagree. Over the last ten years up to recently I've bought x 2 plasmas and x 2 leds (reluctantly I might add) and all are superb.
For performance and value no other brands came close during my research, which included a lot of advice from video engineers too.

I would respectfully disagree. Over the last ten years up to recently I've bought x 2 plasmas and x 2 leds (reluctantly I might add) and all are superb.
For performance and value no other brands came close during my research, which included a lot of advice from video engineers too.
They're still right at the top of the tree. But all of the impartial reviews I've read, and the feelings of people on this forum (who've done their own research) seem to agree that the LG LEDs are way ahead, and that the Samsung QD LEDs in 2016 were better than the Panny ones.

But I doubt there's much in it tbh.

But the LG OLED is in a different league so that means surely that panny can't be top?

They make some excellent sets mind I can't disagree with that.

They make some excellent sets mind I can't disagree with that.
The head-sized blue patch on mine and my parents sets says different mind ;)

(They were well over 5 years old. Really, they were bloody brilliant for the £450/£500 we paid for them)

Is there anything wrong with curved like?

I think I'm going to take the plunge and go for this one, unless anyone suggests a good reason not to :lol:

The soundbar is Out of stock mate. Was tempting mind.

People say curved looks dodgy at an angle for LCDs, others say its a gimmick that is dieing

Is there anything wrong with curved like?

I think I'm going to take the plunge and go for this one, unless anyone suggests a good reason not to :lol:
get the LG OLED 55" E6 or if not bothered about 3D get the 55" B6 then get it calibrated and prepare to pick your jaw off the floor every day

get the LG OLED 55" E6 or if not bothered about 3D get the 55" B6 then get it calibrated and prepare to pick your jaw off the floor every day

Do you mean the C6? The E6 is 2 grand. The C6 is the one that is tempting me. Can get for 1,499. Curved mind but that might look really sexy in my room- we always put TVs in the corner. The 3D tempts me just to give it a go really - but its dying off sadly.

I wouldnt get mine calibrated- especially if its 300 quid or something.

Do you mean the C6? The E6 is 2 grand. The C6 is the one that is tempting me. Can get for 1,499. Curved mind but that might look really sexy in my room- we always put TVs in the corner. The 3D tempts me just to give it a go really - but its dying off sadly.

it's a price worth paying, you wouldn't buy a Ferrari and not have it tuned to perfection
don't get me wrong they are good out of the box but a calibration just makes them truly sing

B6 is standard screen, C6 is same TV but curved...

3D won't die off either, they have realised their mistake and iirc its back in plans for next years sets.

Calibration is worth every penny - I've always just done it myself, but having a pro spend 8hrs or so doing it properly, as @Spot says, unreal!

if you've paid 5 grand you might want to, read avforums & try some of there setting's., I've not had it done but have tried some the settings mentioned on avforums & is happy with that.

https://www.avforums.com/article/wh...essional-video-TV-projector-calibration.10258

The obvious final question is, having got your TV or projector calibrated, will you notice any difference? The honest answer is that it'll largely depend upon how accurate your display was before the calibrator arrived. If you followed all the guidelines on the Picture Perfect page, the difference may not be huge but you will have the comfort of knowing that your display precisely matches the industry standards and thus reflects the creator's original intent.

Back