Anyone played against premier league players as a youngster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aye there was one or two kicking around our place years ago,John Farington(leicester),the Little brothers(Villa),Stuart Chapman played league football(Port Vale i think was his main club,all good lads from wor wee village who played pro footie

Might have had a kick around with venison but I could have just invented the false memory cos he lived near me granny

Played with Tommy Johnson, Lee Makel, Craig Liddle and when he was at Newcastle Chris Waddle used to come over and train us on a Wednesday night.

I played against Kitson when he played for Houghton Airies.
Also played against Steve McManaman in the ESFA cup.

What school did you go to?

Steve Howey at St Aidan's. He was a beanpole striker, decent but I was surprised when he broke into the professional ranks.

I was in the same class as Jimmy Montys son, he was as disinclined to sports as anyone you could meet. Good at art though.

You mustn’t have seen Howey play much at school then.

Last edited:
Played with and against John Robson who won the League Division 1 title with Derby County
Played cricket against Frank Clark.

Played in a friendly match for a work team against NUFC backroom staff a few years back.
Their team consisted of Harper in goal, Steve Stone, Lee Clarke and Craig Russell.
We had a decent side with northern league players and we were all fit as fiddles.
The difference in quality was unbelievable. Their touch, off ball movement, organisation, range of passing was a different level.

Played against Sam Aiston (Montague boys cub) and Alan Pouton (Walker central). Mickey Bridges was year below for Whitley bay boys club so played against him in training.

Against Andy Carroll for the school team (was about 14 or 15 at the time)

Also played against Bryan Robsons brother - he played for Whitehaven I think - I was playing for Gateshead Rutherford

And against the lad up top who started ahead of Shearer that famous 2-1 in the rain that got Gullit the sack - he was playing for Jarrow Roofing

Last edited:

Also played against Bryan Robsons brother - he played for Whitehaven I think - I was playing for Gateshead Rutherford

And against the lad up top who started ahead of Shearer that famous 2-1 in the rain that got Gullit the sack - he was playing for Jarrow Roofing

Robbo haha see my post just above haha

And of course Arca when playing against Shields

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back