Anyone played against premier league players as a youngster?

My mate said he smelled like stale b.o. and stale nappies. Perhaps it was deliberate to discourage people standing near him.
Me mate was a centre half though, a very good player on the books of a couple of lower league clubs, and he reckons he couldn't do anything with Ameobi. Says he was unbelievbly strong and quick, couldn't get near him to try and foul him never mind tackle him. Could see he was miles better than everybody else. Think he made his Newcastle debut a year later

Can't really say on here what my mate says about him id get banned haha...aye I'd imagine he was different level

Every single ex professional ive played against however old they've been at the the time has been excellent like..they got to be to get that far really...i played at canny level but pros especially experiened ones just have that bit more

Last edited:

Played against Ross Turnbull pretty much every year of secondary school playing for Willington Parkside against Woodham.

Bastard saved my penalty in a cup semi final shootout. We still won though. :)

Played against Jason Cundy as a lad in a cup game, though I can't remember who he was playing for.

Couldn't get near the bugger to apply my traditional early doors reducer.

Another one for joe Allon ( ex mag), he played for donwell juniors and I was made center half for st Joseph’s for the day as regular lad was off.
Joe scored six and I plied my trade further up the pitch after that.
My dad would have been in the donwell juniors team that day, he always mentions he played with allon through school

Not premier league but I did score a goal against Tony Norman when I was a kid when he was down the harbour in amble I was just a kid and totally dumbstruck to of seen him and even more so when he accepted my request to take a shot against him. Sure he let me score mind to make me feel good

Played against Sam Aiston (Montague boys cub) and Alan Pouton (Walker central). Mickey Bridges was year below for Whitley bay boys club so played against him in training.
Good mate of mine, unreal footballer as a kid

However, he never made the PL or get anywhere near

Brother played against Jordan Henderson when he was at Faringdon school.

Said he was shit apparently.

Not the same but my Uncle played against Jon Stead in the US a few years ago in a friendly kick about and apparently he was class :eek:

Not all top division but some good players: Andy Sinton, Gordon Armstrong, David Corner, Nigel Saddington, Dale White, Mark Outterside, Colin Cooper, Stephen Bell, Paul Cannell. Also Brian Tinnion and Richard Ord but that was cricket!

Wes Brown
Micheal Owen
Harry kewell
Alan Smith
Darren huckerby
Gordon strachen
Paul Robinson
Joe Cole
Micheal carrick
Micheal bridges
Paul telfer
Probably more but they the ones off the top of my head

Aye your right, Grimsby in the championship wasn't it?
York and Gillingham were his other clubs. He had more but York, Gillingham and Grimbsy was where he made most appearances I think. I didn't think Grimsby were even in the championship at the time, but I am probably wrong

Back