Anyone played against premier league players as a youngster?

Played against Mark Venus at junior school & alongside him a few times in seniors. He started out as a centre forward but ended up in defence as a pro. There were a few players that were noticeably better than him in that age group but I think only 1 made it to pro.

When I was playing in the Russel Foster there were lads at Sunderland, Newcastle, Chelsea, Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday, Hartlepool, Darlington, Derby.

Never knew of anyone being stopped from playing only when the actual club had a game.

Would it not have been Man Utd anyway?

He wasn’t even allowed to train. I played with some of his mates from castle view at u11-13 and he used to come and watch us train but wasn’t allowed to join in.
Talking shite mate. Mickey Gray didn't sign for Sland until after he was 14 and well after. He was with Man Utd. He couldn't get in our Durham County Schools U15 team at that point. Was kept out by Paul Harwood and Wayne Dowell. Only got in towards the end as both got injured. He played for JJ Glaziers in Russell Foster League in U16's and possibly U15's. All of us who were signed for clubs played Russell Foster.

Bridges. Totally unplayable. Think it was Monkseaton High School he was playing for. Years later I was in taxi with Bridges when he shat himself. True story.

Was in the same school team as Fraser Forster. He is way better now than he was then, he was about a foot taller than anyone else at school and looked as aged as Herman Munster when he was about 12. He was second behind another lad for a while.

Great shot stopper but shocking at kicking. Bizarre watching someone you were in the same team as save shots by Messi in the champions league when you’re playing 5 a side at Power League. Not jealous at all.

Talking shite mate. Mickey Gray didn't sign for Sland until after he was 14 and well after. He was with Man Utd. He couldn't get in our Durham County Schools U15 team at that point. Was kept out by Paul Harwood and Wayne Dowell. Only got in towards the end as both got injured. He played for JJ Glaziers in Russell Foster League in U16's and possibly U15's. All of us who were signed for clubs played Russell Foster.

The only lads I knew from SR7 who went pro are Dickie Ord and another lad who went to Burnley.

If you went to Burnley we may know each other

Showing my age now but played against George Herd, Cec Irwin and John Tudor in a friendly game. Although George had retired you couldn’t get anywhere near him. I also played in the same team as Alan Suddick (ex mag) in the over 40’s league in the North West, he was pure class.

Yes played with Jon Walters & played against Jason Koumas both school games.
Played against Stevie G also when representing Wirral vs Merseyside.
All 3 took the piss stood out like a sore thumb.

Played a lot against Gareth Stoker as we grew up together & neighbours in Crook. He never made it to the Premier league but had spells at both Cardiff & Hull, but he did score a 35 yard screamer against Spurs in the FA cup. Last I heard he was manager of Ossett Town.

Clive Mendonca, built like a brick shit house at 15.

Also slightly off tack but Guy Whittingham was one of the PTI’s when I was in my army trade training.
Guy Whittingham was playing for my Corps when a club bought him out of the army. Portsmouth, was it?

Trained with Aiden O'Brien (now at Millwall) a few times. He was class then.

My football coach at college was John Humphrey (ex Charlton right-back and recently voted their player of the 20th century :lol: ). He was about 50 then and still no one could get near him. Outrageously good.

Back