Anyone played against premier league players as a youngster?

Played with Cheick Tiote once, he was a ringer in a 5 a side game through Newcastle.

As expected he played at about 10% and was still miles better than everyone

Pre PL, I played with Tony Galvin of Spurs a few times until Goole found out that their prize asset on his way to Spurs was playing with a bunch of hungover tosses in the Hull Uni Sunday League

Played against David Beckham , Nicky Butt, Emile Heskey amongst others at town level.

Played against Todd, Smith, Gray, Russell, Barron and Tinkler locally
And trained with Clark, Thompson and Watson with the mags - boooooo

Of all of them Smithy was head and shoulders the best of the lot at youth level.

Talking shite mate. Mickey Gray didn't sign for Sland until after he was 14 and well after. He was with Man Utd. He couldn't get in our Durham County Schools U15 team at that point. Was kept out by Paul Harwood and Wayne Dowell. Only got in towards the end as both got injured. He played for JJ Glaziers in Russell Foster League in U16's and possibly U15's. All of us who were signed for clubs played Russell Foster.

Spot on mate. I was a year below that but played with them quite regularly. I always thought Wayne Dowell would make it. A class act. Didn’t he go to Forest ??

2 lads who played for my youth side went onto professional, 1 played 1 game for Sunderland in Premier League. I was pissed in the away end and seen him come on, sobered me up :lol: Although he let Bale cut in on his left foot and score a screamer!

Other lad played for Blyth (does again now) but went to Blackpool for a while too.

Would have thought I have played against others, in Russel Foster leagues from U8s to U15s then also playing lots of teams from Sunderland and Newcastle for School

Yeah he was a PTI at the School of Electrical and Mechanical Engineers ,Borden when Portsmouth signed him.
I’m pretty sure he was there when I did my VM 2-1 course in 89/90. Don’t really remember him if he was. Pretty sure there was a Depot REME PTI who left to play for Yeovil Town around the same time. Also remember there was another young lad at Bordon from Newcastle making noises about NUFC buying him out of the army. Played against him in an inter company game. He was shite.

Did shops drink of sweat? My mate played against him loads and reckons he stinks

Did shola stink of sweat? My mate played against him loads and reckons he stinks

Did shola stink of sweat?my mate played against him loads and said he always stunk

I also know somebody who played against him a few times and has also said he absolutely stunk

Over 20 year ago and Stu still gans on about the smell haha

My mate said he smelled like stale b.o. and stale nappies. Perhaps it was deliberate to discourage people standing near him.
Me mate was a centre half though, a very good player on the books of a couple of lower league clubs, and he reckons he couldn't do anything with Ameobi. Says he was unbelievbly strong and quick, couldn't get near him to try and foul him never mind tackle him. Could see he was miles better than everybody else. Think he made his Newcastle debut a year later

played alongside Danny Graham for 3/4 seasons as a young un and former reserve team player John Toft at school
against former forest midfielder Ross Gardner

Played against David Beckham , Nicky Butt, Emile Heskey amongst others at town level.

Played against Todd, Smith, Gray, Russell, Barron and Tinkler locally
And trained with Clark, Thompson and Watson with the mags - boooooo

Of all of them Smithy was head and shoulders the best of the lot at youth level.

Spot on mate. I was a year below that but played with them quite regularly. I always thought Wayne Dowell would make it. A class act. Didn’t he go to Forest ??
Wayne went to Burnley and then drifted to non-League in the North West. Totally agree on Smithy mate. At times he was unplayable.

I played against Jan Molby in a 5-a-side tournament. So not proper football, just a kickabout.
I'm not small but by that time he was a good size. He never got above walking pace. Never needed to, none of us could get near him ability wise

I went to school with John Moore, no one could touch him. Also had kick abouts with Barry Venison, to be fair though he was more concerned about his hair.

Back