Another dead Friday night in Sunlun....wtf

• Thread starter Deleted member 6830
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I hadn't spent all the money that I have done on going out with mates drinking and clubbing 6 nights a week, and paying credit card and bank interest, I'd now be living in a large house with a nice car and a Ferrari in the garage for fun days. But my life would have been oh so boring.
Exactky. No sense of fun these days.

It's the mates thing isn't it? Back in the day you met at a certain pub every fri and sat. You didn't need to phone anyone cos there was a cast iron guarantee that some of the gang would be out. It went without saying that you went out every Friday and Saturday 52 weeks a year. And if you went missing for a week, you took so much shit the next week that you didn't dare do it again..
Nowadays I speak to young uns and they don't go out cos there's no peer pressure to go out on the piss. Thy go to the cinema or f***ing Nando's instead.

To be fair you can get an uber from the middle of Newcastle to hylton castle for circa £15, it's about £12 to my door from Sunderland in a station taxi

How often are you alone in a taxi as well if you go out with the lads? I've never understood that logic, some of my mates don't go to Newcastle for fear of haemorrhaging cash and honestly you might spend an extra £20 or £30 over the course of the night yet have a far far better night drinking nice drinks, eating nice food in a vibrant city, full of interesting, attractive people, sitting in nice bars, listening to good music

Or you can save yourself £30 and go to vesta tilleys for "cheap pints" and bump into all the same losers from school who look 10 year older than you with their best Fred Perry polo top on with the button done up. Then end up in Arizona or cooper rose and dance to 15 year old tunes, it's just bleak man. Town is areet for a laugh once or twice a year but it's more to laugh at the place to be honest.

If £30 is the difference between being able to afford or not afford a night out then that's exactly the problem we face as a city, everyone's f***ing skint

Nail on the head right there. Especially with the 15 year old tunes. Stuck in a time warp...

It's the mates thing isn't it? Back in the day you met at a certain pub every fri and sat. You didn't need to phone anyone cos there was a cast iron guarantee that some of the gang would be out. It went without saying that you went out every Friday and Saturday 52 weeks a year. And if you went missing for a week, you took so much shit the next week that you didn't dare do it again..
Nowadays I speak to young uns and they don't go out cos there's no peer pressure to go out on the piss. Thy go to the cinema or f***ing Nando's instead.

Maybe like. I see my mates every weekend though, infact nearly every day going to the gym or playing tennis. Just can't afford to get on the sesh all the time

We tend to stay in, I don't personally smoke weed these days but a lot of my pals still do so we just sit and have a smoke and chill in someone's house and have a bit crack on most weekend. Or if we do go out for a couple of pints it's just for a couple of pints either round the sea front or east boldon, beggars bridge/the sleepers is decent on a Friday and Saturday. I certainly don't frequent Nando's or the cinema with the lads like, my younger sister is 18 and people her age seem to like, they feel like a different generation though

Maybe like. I see my mates every weekend though, infact nearly every day going to the gym or playing tennis. Just can't afford to get on the sesh all the time

We tend to stay in, I don't personally smoke weed these days but a lot of my pals still do so we just sit and have a smoke and chill in someone's house and have a bit crack on most weekend. Or if we do go out for a couple of pints it's just for a couple of pints either round the sea front or east boldon, beggars bridge/the sleepers is decent on a Friday and Saturday. I certainly don't frequent Nando's or the cinema with the lads like, my younger sister is 18 and people her age seem to like, they feel like a different generation though
See, we played footy maybe 3 nights a week (the gym wasn't really a thing anyone did socially) so there was no shortage of social contact, but the weekends on the piss was just what everyone did as soon as they were old enough. You were basically a puff if you didn't drink 30 pints a week.

I just don't think there is much money about tbh. In years gone by, both Friday and Saturday night would be busy; now people go out perhaps once a fortnight - and normally on a Saturday.

The reality is; you can go to a supermarket, get some beer and a pizza for less than a tenner.

Oh I love a thread of how things were better in the olden days. Ah fuck off man.
That's because everything is shit these days.

I just don't think there is much money about tbh. In years gone by, both Friday and Saturday night would be busy; now people go out perhaps once a fortnight - and normally on a Saturday.

The reality is; you can go to a supermarket, get some beer and a pizza for less than a tenner.
You could do that then as well though.
It was more about being out and feeling alive for me.

That's because everything is shit these days.
It's just changed. Might not suit the Middle Aged blokes trying to hang onto their youth but it suits others fine who head out at 1am then club till early hours then on to house party then boozer a opening time.

I think its a combination of a lot of factors tbh, the smoking ban, cheap supermarket beers, the advent of 24 hour licencing and mobile phones and young'uns going out later for shorter, also I think Sunderland used to be a destination for people from the towns and villages nearby, a lot of these places have upped their game a bit with more decent pubs/restaurants etc, combine this with the fact a lot of people will be hopping on a metro to newcastle and there's your problem for Sunderland unfortunately, I'm personally well into middle age but I still like a night out and I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I had a proper night out in Sunderland, residual matchday drinking excepted.

To be fair you can get an uber from the middle of Newcastle to hylton castle for circa £15, it's about £12 to my door from Sunderland in a station taxi

How often are you alone in a taxi as well if you go out with the lads? I've never understood that logic, some of my mates don't go to Newcastle for fear of haemorrhaging cash and honestly you might spend an extra £20 or £30 over the course of the night yet have a far far better night drinking nice drinks, eating nice food in a vibrant city, full of interesting, attractive people, sitting in nice bars, listening to good music

Or you can save yourself £30 and go to vesta tilleys for "cheap pints" and bump into all the same losers from school who look 10 year older than you with their best Fred Perry polo top on with the button done up. Then end up in Arizona or cooper rose and dance to 15 year old tunes, it's just bleak man. Town is areet for a laugh once or twice a year but it's more to laugh at the place to be honest.

If £30 is the difference between being able to afford or not afford a night out then that's exactly the problem we face as a city, everyone's f***ing skint
This post man. :lol:

Or it could be as simple as that it's the middle of the month and there's a bank holiday next week so everyone is saving their cash.
All these people lamenting that the scene they remember from being 18 doesn't exist don't realise that the scene for that age group does exist but they aren't invited.
A fortune being spent in the city on refurbishing or opening new pubs, it is far from on its arse.
The reality of the situation. ^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back