Another dead Friday night in Sunlun....wtf

• Thread starter Deleted member 6830
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Young people go to Newcastle because the offering in Sunderland is not as good, apparently.

Nothing to do with them staying in and playing video games as some of the old fuddy duddies seem to be suggesting.

Unlike most of the UK, our population has gone down and aged in the last 40 years. We have missed the boat with people coming into live and work in the city, especially the centre, and without the critical mass it is hard for places to thrive. How many open and then struggle?

However, there is the seafront, and there are some pockets of activity. A coastal lifestyle city could be the way to go, but we should be a city that has an offer seven days and not just two nights a week.

I'm convinced that part of it is that loads of people are chuckied right up these days, big mortgage, white Audi on lease, phones, sofas credit cards etc. 25 year ago I'd be surprised if a typical household had a far lower % of income allocated to servicing debt and a much higher % used for beer money. It was extremely normal for working class blokes to be out several nights a week. Not the case now.

Combination of:

No wages rises for nearly 15 year
Cigarette ban
Cheap prices of booze in Supermarkets
Trend of hipster Euro Cafe bars

Mix that together and you have the death of a towns nightlife. Problem with Sunderland is anything new fails then people revert to type like how Josephs is doing well which used to be best bar in town.

You forgot one of the main reasons I believe for it, licensing hours.
Pubs used to shut at 11, todays culture means alot don't even turn out till then.

No wage rises in 15 year, where did you pluck that one from?

Young people go to Newcastle because the offering in Sunderland is not as good, apparently.

Nothing to do with them staying in and playing video games as some of the old fuddy duddies seem to be suggesting.

Numerous Micro breweries, Tyneside (retro and art house) Cinema, Think Tank, Riverside and Academy gig venues, Ouseburn route including The Cluny, places like Soleheaven, End, Hardwood Ventures putting on events that cater to the sneakerhead crowd involving DJ's etc, the Stand comedy club, the Jazz Cafe, Northumbria Uni hosting Newcastle Eagles games, Shark Club for a proper Sports Bar environment and all this surrounded by the tried and tested "pub and club scene" and a shit ton of restaurants.

The options are endless.

had happened to this wonderful town that used to be so vibrant on a Friday neet out ??
Looking back on the topper Friday nights out mid 90s to mid noughties, Finos , Brogans etc. Great days.
Now ? Fkn hell , it's desperate.

Lower income per capita town means most stay local or drink in - with no nightlife tourists coming in. Many go up the road. It's better.

Combination of:

No wages rises for nearly 15 year
Cigarette ban
Cheap prices of booze in Supermarkets
Trend of hipster Euro Cafe bars

Mix that together and you have the death of a towns nightlife. Problem with Sunderland is anything new fails then people revert to type like how Josephs is doing well which used to be best bar in town.

That excuse doesn't hold true anymore, times have changed. Nightlife and evening activities are thriving up the road. We didn't evolve and cater.

That excuse doesn't hold true anymore, times have changed. Nightlife and evening activities are thriving up the road. We didn't evolve and cater.

Newcastle benefits a lot from external influences. Id say there nightlifes got worse not better the last 10 years.

Its lost a lot of what made it good. Shindig is meh now it used to be do not miss.

The airport hen stag doo crowd but easy transport links to durham help it a lot.

There was always the train but the Metro has made it so much easier for everyone to just up sticks for the night, that never used to be an option.
Could well be the answer, I'd never thought about that, when the lads from work go out they meet for one or two in Sunderland and do that, I just meet them up there.

Numerous Micro breweries, Tyneside (retro and art house) Cinema, Think Tank, Riverside and Academy gig venues, Ouseburn route including The Cluny, places like Soleheaven, End, Hardwood Ventures putting on events that cater to the sneakerhead crowd involving DJ's etc, the Stand comedy club, the Jazz Cafe, Northumbria Uni hosting Newcastle Eagles games, Shark Club for a proper Sports Bar environment and all this surrounded by the tried and tested "pub and club scene" and a shit ton of restaurants.

The options are endless.
Well I for one am glad we don't have a sneakerhead crowd. Sound like a bunch of f***ing spenks.

Newcastle benefits a lot from external influences. Id say there nightlifes got worse not better the last 10 years.

Its lost a lot of what made it good. Shindig is meh now it used to be do not miss.

The airport hen stag doo crowd but easy transport links to durham help it a lot.

See the examples above, it's booming every night of the week. They've evolved and catered for everything people want not just for one type of night out.

Last edited:
There was always squads of young lads and lasses that were out straight from work on a Friday every week without fail, seems that scene has disappeared, unless everyone is going somewhere different and not telling me....:evil::lol:

There was always the train but the Metro has made it so much easier for everyone to just up sticks for the night, that never used to be an option.
Could well be the answer, I'd never thought about that, when the lads from work go out they meet for one or two in Sunderland and do that, I just meet them up there.

Even between say 5-7pm though mate you see all their coffee shops, restaurants and food quarters are all full of people popping out for drinks and food post work whereas we just shut down at 5:30 and the town is dead. Now that's largely to the fact hardly anyone works in the town centre but there's no need for our shops to close en mass at that time and we don't offer free parking either. It's forcing people to go elsewhere.

This ,

All this crack that the youngens come out later is a load of shite,it does pick up a little with the younger people later but not much .Its desperate down the town on a night,full of older chav type people and the comment about people looking skint is bang on .

Establishment
Greens
Westminster
Vest villys
Paddy wacks
Basement
Cougar rose
Ttonic
Bavaria
Gatsbys down stairs
Piss heads triangle
Worst of the lot ,f***ing Arizona.

All of the above fall into the scruffy/tragic category,so it's a massive chunk of the town .

Problem I think with Sunderland is its become one big housing estate with not much of any identity/industry/commerce left in it .It shows now in its nightlife .

Hate to slag off my own town ,but the centre is horrific .
Hopefully things are changing with the Vaux site,new bridge,Keel square etc.
This ,

All this crack that the youngens come out later is a load of shite,it does pick up a little with the younger people later but not much .Its desperate down the town on a night,full of older chav type people and the comment about people looking skint is bang on .

Establishment
Greens
Westminster
Vest villys
Paddy wacks
Basement
Cougar rose
Ttonic
Bavaria
Gatsbys down stairs
Piss heads triangle
Worst of the lot ,f***ing Arizona.

All of the above fall into the scruffy/tragic category,so it's a massive chunk of the town .

Problem I think with Sunderland is its become one big housing estate with not much of any identity/industry/commerce left in it .It shows now in its nightlife .

Hate to slag off my own town ,but the centre is horrific .
Hopefully things are changing with the Vaux site,new bridge,Keel square etc.
What are "older chav type people" and how does a skint person look? Surely if they are out paying £3+ for pints they can't be that skint?

Drinking habits have changed.

There was a time when you were expected to be half cut when staggering into a night club. On my last night out we were refused entry for being too drunk.

A lot of kids are more likely to go to the gym than a pub. There are more choices nowadays and many people prefer to have a meal out and then go straight home or just have 1 or 2 drinks.

The options are endless.
I might go there more often if you didn't have to come back at 11.20 to catch the last metro, or pay £30 for a taxi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back