Another dead Friday night in Sunlun....wtf

• Thread starter Deleted member 6830
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

You forgot one of the main reasons I believe for it, licensing hours.
Pubs used to shut at 11, todays culture means alot don't even turn out till then.

No wage rises in 15 year, where did you pluck that one from?
Yep I think a lot is down to the licensing, used to be meet in the local 6:30, couple of pints then into town or wherever, kicking out at 11 then onto a club for a late drink or whatever till 2
Everywhere open till silly o'clock nowadays so normal pubs that would be rammed all night before the clubs open are half dead as not enough folk go out early or get pissed in the house then out clubbing, meaning longer hours, more wages for staff and invariably less customers, it's harder to make pubs pay so they come and go more quickly. And those that do go out earlyish and don't necessarily wanna stay out till 4 see the pubs empty and think meh why bother

Young 'uns stay in and have "pre drinks" these days, which is a f***ing stupid phrase. They don't head out til after midnight whereas, we used to meet at 6 and have a pub-crawl, before going to a club. There's no way bars can survive, just selling beer in town centres like ours these days.

Demographics as well, far more people born each year in the 50s and 60s, than in the 80s, 90s and 00s.

So when you factor in that this generation went out a lot more it's hardly surprising the place is empty of young uns.

Young 'uns stay in and have "pre drinks" these days, which is a f***ing stupid phrase. They don't head out til after midnight whereas, we used to meet at 6 and have a pub-crawl, before going to a club. There's no way bars can survive, just selling beer in town centres like ours these days.

I genuinley think that if they make an effort to serve a quality product they can. I've just moved back home but have been to a few bars selling great quality craft beers, and they seem to be doing ok.

The Metro happened
When I was a youngun we were always moaning that our taxes paid for the metro which only came as far as Heworth. We said how mad it was that they could have repurposed the old colliery line that ran past the Barnes and up to Silky.

Looking back, maybe the Wilfys of the time knew that if they did that people from the Sunderland suburbs could hop a metro to Newcastle and by pass Sunlun completely, which is sorta what happened eventually.

Its hardly localised to Sunderland as even Newcastle is a shadow of its former self. When I was a student there in the early 2000's the place would be heaving almost every night of the week in term time and getting a taxi back home was almost impossible unless you fancied a 1-2 hr wait at the taxi rank. Now almost every place we went drinking is a restaurant or gastro pub and even places like the Bigg Market are being gentrified and loosing the old clubs and bars. Obviously new places have opened to cater for the hipsters but in terms of sheer numbers there has been a massive shift from drinking to eating. I was asking some of the students I teach what has happened and it seems that being saddled with circa 80k of debt after uni has made them take studying a bit more seriously.

What could be done to sort that one out?
Fuck knows, and regardless of drinking patterns and hours, towns like Sunderland and shields(even though it's always had the metro) have died on their arses regarding nights out in recent years.

Fuck knows, and regardless of drinking patterns and hours, towns like Sunderland and shields(even though it's always had the metro) have died on their arses regarding nights out in recent years.

Used to go to Shields early 90's, good night out, last time I went around 4 or 5 years ago it was like a ghost town.

Used to go to Shields early 90's, good night out, last time I went around 4 or 5 years ago it was like a ghost town.
Yep, shields was a great night out in the 90s. I suppose if pubs could sell beer in greater volume, prices could be dropped to draw customers in and make profit through volume.
But chicken and egg isn't it, can't sell cheaper unless there's masses of customers and not able to sell cheap as there's not enough customers ATM to cover the costs of running places.

I'm in the town now buying some clothes/having a drinkypoo's.My observations are up to now;

POC. As you expect ,canny busy and decent folk.

GATSBYS.Never went in but the tab smoking tramps etc were in and out like a fiddlers elbow.Tramps pub .

BION:Shut/dead.

VESTER TILLYS:Middle aged folk/all day regular drinkers .

DUNN COW:in here now,Staropramen is on point,nice clean pub with nice clean clientel.

Chow for now guys .

I'm in the town now buying some clothes/having a drinkypoo's.My observations are up to now;

POC. As you expect ,canny busy and decent folk.

GATSBYS.Never went in but the tab smoking tramps etc were in and out like a fiddlers elbow.Tramps pub .

BION:Shut/dead.

VESTER TILLYS:Middle aged folk/all day regular drinkers .

DUNN COW:in here now,Staropramen is on point,nice clean pub with nice clean clientel.

Chow for now guys .

Ciao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back