Another dead Friday night in Sunlun....wtf

• Thread starter Deleted member 6830
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

See the examples above, it's booming every night of the week. They've evolved and catered for everything people want not just for one type of night out.

It isnt booming like.

Popular on weekends yes but midweek it isnt all that.

Manchester midweek wipes the floor with Newcastle

Drinking habits have changed.

There was a time when you were expected to be half cut when staggering into a night club. On my last night out we were refused entry for being too drunk.

A lot of kids are more likely to go to the gym than a pub. There are more choices nowadays and many people prefer to have a meal out and then go straight home or just have 1 or 2 drinks.
They buy shite clothes so they can get beer maybe??
Nowt wrong with Asda jeans and dress shirts man. Ironically, if we are out and see someone who's bang on trend we'd probably be like "look at the clip on that tit".
I honestly don't know what the town would be like now if we were 18 again and going out 20 handed. But as a 45 year old it's spot on.
Meet up for strong ales and chat in the quiet pubs (worm, fitzies), then move on to the more lively ones (rileys, cooper, gay bar, Bavaria) quick stop in the borough then it's off to 7 to dad dance til 4am.

Even between say 5-7pm though mate you see all their coffee shops, restaurants and food quarters are all full of people popping out for drinks and food post work whereas we just shut down at 5:30 and the town is dead. Now that's largely to the fact hardly anyone works in the town centre but there's no need for our shops to close en mass at that time and we don't offer free parking either. It's forcing people to go elsewhere.

Agree. About 6 months or so ago I had two lasses over from one of my companies clients for meetings. One was American and the other was Israeli, they couldn't believe that the shops in Sunderland closed at 5.30.

They thought they could pass the time in the evening looking around the shops but just ended up staying in the hotel. And on that point, don't get me started on the lack of 4/5 star hotels in the city centre. They regularly stayed in £100 - £200 per night hotels so I ended up sticking them in the Marriott down Seaburn.

Last edited:
Agree. About 6 months or so ago I had two lasses over from one of my companies clients for meetings. One was American and the other was Israeli, they couldn't believe that the shops in Sunderland closed at 5.30.

They thought they could pass the time in the evening looking around the shops but just ended up staying in the hotel. And on that point, don't get me started on the lack of 4/5 star hotels in the city centre.
It is our culture mate. When I was a kid the shops would close on Wednesday afternoons never mind all day Sunday.

I don't think that we should change centuries of our way of living for 2 bints.

I might go there more often if you didn't have to come back at 11.20 to catch the last metro, or pay £30 for a taxi.
Get uber mate its not always cheaper but quite often pay about 15-20 quid back to Sunderland, not too bad if theres a couple of people

Busy city attracts people.

This weekend newcastle have 60,000 plus in for the weekend for the rugby.

Then a good few thousand for the comic con at the arena over the weekend.

I sense the bars and clubs will have been rammed from yesterday lunch time till Monday now. Then the draw of the Geordie shore crowed for a party city. Then stag and hen doos

And then they still have bars that cater for the older Crowd.

I might go there more often if you didn't have to come back at 11.20 to catch the last metro, or pay £30 for a taxi.

To be fair you can get an uber from the middle of Newcastle to hylton castle for circa £15, it's about £12 to my door from Sunderland in a station taxi

How often are you alone in a taxi as well if you go out with the lads? I've never understood that logic, some of my mates don't go to Newcastle for fear of haemorrhaging cash and honestly you might spend an extra £20 or £30 over the course of the night yet have a far far better night drinking nice drinks, eating nice food in a vibrant city, full of interesting, attractive people, sitting in nice bars, listening to good music

Or you can save yourself £30 and go to vesta tilleys for "cheap pints" and bump into all the same losers from school who look 10 year older than you with their best Fred Perry polo top on with the button done up. Then end up in Arizona or cooper rose and dance to 15 year old tunes, it's just bleak man. Town is areet for a laugh once or twice a year but it's more to laugh at the place to be honest.

If £30 is the difference between being able to afford or not afford a night out then that's exactly the problem we face as a city, everyone's f***ing skint

What are "older chav type people" and how does a skint person look? Surely if they are out paying £3+ for pints they can't be that skint?

Don't mean to sound like a snob mate,only a suddicker myself but dressed in clothes that are a bit naff.No ones smart.

Nowt wrong with Asda jeans and dress shirts man. Ironically, if we are out and see someone who's bang on trend we'd probably be like "look at the clip on that tit".
I honestly don't know what the town would be like now if we were 18 again and going out 20 handed. But as a 45 year old it's spot on.
Meet up for strong ales and chat in the quiet pubs (worm, fitzies), then move on to the more lively ones (rileys, cooper, gay bar, Bavaria) quick stop in the borough then it's off to 7 to dad dance til 4am.

I honestly can't tell if you're joking. If I ever go to hell you can put that scenario on loop for me and I will suffer good and proper for my sins

It is our culture mate. When I was a kid the shops would close on Wednesday afternoons never mind all day Sunday.

I don't think that we should change centuries of our way of living for 2 bints.

The problem is that times have changed and people need to factor in the rise in internet shopping and other things.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've been at work and needed something from the town. Then I've thought shall I rush into the city centre after work, pay for parking and hopefully get to the shop before it closes or just order it from Amazon or somewhere online. The town is dying on its arse because it hasn't changed with the times and has nothing to offer people after 5 during the week.

How often are you alone in a taxi as well if you go out with the lads .... you might spend an extra £20 or £30 over the course of the night yet have a far far better night drinking nice drinks, eating nice food in a vibrant city, full of interesting, attractive people, sitting in nice bars, listening to good music

Or you can save yourself £30 and go to vesta tilleys for "cheap pints" and bump into all the same losers from school who look 10 year older than you with their best Fred Perry polo top on with the button done up. Then end up in Arizona or cooper rose and dance to 15 year old tunes, it's just bleak man. Town is areet for a laugh once or twice a year but it's more to laugh at the place to be honest.

If £30 is the difference between being able to afford or not afford a night out then that's exactly the problem we face as a city, everyone's f***ing skint

:lol: Barcelona of the north.

The problem is that times have changed and people need to factor in the rise in internet shopping and other things.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've been at work and needed something from the town. Then I've thought shall I rush into the city centre after work, pay for parking and hopefully get to the shop before it closes or just order it from Amazon or somewhere online. The town is dying on its arse because it hasn't changed with the times and has nothing to offer people after 5 during the week.
Where else in the uk does that apart from extended Christmas shopping hours? It would be bleak in winter.

It may work in the summer but most people want to go home at 5:30-6:30. And remember that shop workers need time off too, comrade

I don't think the culture has changed materially. People do go out later than people did in the 80s/90s but not everyone. People are also more health conscious but again, not by that much.

Subderlands problem is sadly Newcastle is infinitely better for a night out these days. A result of a whole host of varied reasons of which must have been discussed.

To be fair you can get an uber from the middle of Newcastle to hylton castle for circa £15, it's about £12 to my door from Sunderland in a station taxi

How often are you alone in a taxi as well if you go out with the lads? I've never understood that logic, some of my mates don't go to Newcastle for fear of haemorrhaging cash and honestly you might spend an extra £20 or £30 over the course of the night yet have a far far better night drinking nice drinks, eating nice food in a vibrant city, full of interesting, attractive people, sitting in nice bars, listening to good music

Thats the problem we are skint. You say 30 quid extra but therell be a canny few who can only afford 30 quid for the whole night (me included)

Not everyone wants to spend 100 quid on drink. Newcastle is much better but I rarely go because its a waste of money for me.

"45" ha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back