ALL NUFC and Sportwashing stuff in here. (Threads will be merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes the flags and tea towels was bad.

But I imagine if we stopped selling weapons and jobs were lost in Washington and Barrow and wherever then MPs would be down complaining about that.

Obviously football is not the same as people’s jobs but as a country we can either be fine taking Saudi money or not - saying it is ok for some but not others doesn’t wash with me.

But yeh, those waving flags etc might as well be out supporting the Taliban and ISIS.

I do recall BAE pulled sponsorship of t the Great Exhibition of the North after a campaign against them being involved, so I guess you do have a precedent for taking these issues on up there in fairness.
You’re right it isn’t the same as people’s jobs. It’s a completely different situation. The nufc followers can make the Saudis go away. Its one of those very rare opportunities for ordinary people to tell a despotic regime to do one. But money for players trumps morals up there.

Few replies aren't happy with 50m. But I thought they just wanted the stadium washing?
I thowt they just wanted their club back. Surely all this carry on hasn’t Been about money for players?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, Cheltenham
But you read The Financial Times and have time to digest the dealings of governments. That's fair enough. Believe it or not there's still a bit of good old fashioned values up here. Yrs you probably think it's old hat, but there's still some of us that feel that everyone should have the right to fulfil their lives regardless of their backgrounds. Not be stamped on by the rich and have to fall into line.

I completely agree it is sportswashing and the footage of fans waving Saudi flags was unpleasant. As much as I hate the idea of the Saudi state being involved in football ownership, my point is that I see no justification for singling out Newcastle ahead of all the other investment from and trade with the Saudis.

The fact England will be playing a world cup in stadia built by bonded labour slaves, hundreds (probably thousands by now) of who died on construction sites is equally abhorrent.
You've just answered your own question as to why NUFC are being singled out right now. Useful idiots waving SA flags, trying to deny the truth about their new owners. The other investments and trades have been criticised by plenty. The WC in Qatar was opposed by the vast majority of people.

As a neutral the backlash about human rights just seems a bit off and hypocritical to me. People seem to forget that the Saudi PIF have been pumping cash into Man U and have sizeable stakes in Facebook and Uber.

Do I think half of London, developments in other cities, and chunks of our strategic infrastructure should be owned by the Saudis and other murderous regimes? No. But it is and as long as our country is fine with that, and people are happy to sell weapons to the Saudis etc to use in Yemen etc then I see no justification for making an exception of Newcastle United.

I gather there is a BAE Systems weapons factory just off the A1M at Washington. I assume those on here complaining about the Newcastle takeover are up there protesting against BAE making weapons for the Saudis and other similar countries?
Naff off.

That f***ing wanker has spent the last 18 months acting as a mouthpiece for the saudis. Now the deal is done he wants to go back to George the man of principle. What an utter cretin he is.

Absolute liar and hypocrite of the very highest order.

I wonder if asked he would gladly fly out to Riyadh on request to interview the head headchopper, he would be bricking it and rightly so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back