Alex Hales

Some Durham fans on here (not you) criticise them for everything they do and have pre-conceived opinions on them before everything their do.

That is clear as day on their posts imo.

Looks like we having diffrent discussions because I am not disagreeing witj any of the above.

What I am saying Is when players misbehave like Stokes,Hales or whoever rather than criticise them the focus is always turned towards the ECB

Why not just grow a pair and name these ‘some’ posters.

I’ve a feeling I know who you’re getting at and it’s been put to you countless times lately that it isn’t the case.

Do you need me to provide examples?

Why not just grow a pair and name these ‘some’ posters.

I’ve a feeling I know who you’re getting at and it’s been put to you countless times lately that it isn’t the case.

Do you need me to provide examples?

I am not getting into mate, as don’t want to get into slagging match.

One poster has come out and said because of what happened to Durham he is 100% not objective which is understandable and I fully respect him for been honest.

Yet you call the ECB, FTCB and the Nazi party, yet still maintain you are fair and objective towards them.

I simply find that totally contradictory!

For the record I would be happy to praise the ECB where necessary but I see absolutely nothing to praise them for at the moment. Clowns running a circus and killing the game I enjoy

1 - the durham carry on
2 - this 100 ball shite
3 - forever telling players they can't play red ball cricket, then we wonder why we are getting hammered by Australia for example
4 - the stokes/hales carry on. not guilty in court wasn't enough for the ecb
5 - county cricket scheduling - early start in april, late finish in September, very little summer red ball cricket
6 - I vaguely remember something about a 2.5m payment to Glamorgan over a test match?

That's just for starters.

7 - This Hales carry on as I've outlined. Hales’ representatives say they were given assurances that the ban would not in itself affect his chances of being selected, that he had been promised the picks would be made on merit. Basically ECB utterly clueless even about their own rules & words

Overall if someone would like to tell me what good/positive things they are doing for the game, I'm happy to listen

Last edited:
Whether he should have played or not is up for debate, I think if the ban is 21 days you can't suddenly reverse it

But although he has been stupid, I feel for him slightly, as stories leaking in the press yesterday trying to stitch him up etc, strikes of England side trying to get the story on their terms

I can't imagine his head is in a great space right now, I hope he is getting some support.

Maybe dropping him was right, I don't know, but the moralistic nature of some of the collumnists outraged does my head in, I frankly couldn't give a shit about what he has done, but thats just me

Whether he should have played or not is up for debate, I think if the ban is 21 days you can't suddenly reverse it

But although he has been stupid, I feel for him slightly, as stories leaking in the press yesterday trying to stitch him up etc, strikes of England side trying to get the story on their terms

I can't imagine his head is in a great space right now, I hope he is getting some support.

Maybe dropping him was right, I don't know, but the moralistic nature of some of the collumnists outraged does my head in, I frankly couldn't give a shit about what he has done, but thats just me

By the end of the week the ECB/media will have folk thinking he's murdered someone

ECB policy is bollocks to be honest. It's daft that only the medical staff, CEO and DoC can be informed of a failed test. Morgan and Bayliss had no idea about it when the squad was selected. I don't particularly blame Giles and Harrison either, the policy has obviously been there for a while - although it sounds like it's going to be review now since it's neither use nor ornament.

Nick Hoult in the Torygraph is suggesting that Bayliss and Morgan pretty much made the decision to get him out of the squad.

Alex Hales’s England fate was sealed when he lost the backing of senior team-mates and, crucially, captain Eoin Morgan and coach Trevor Bayliss when the management met to decide his World Cup future at the weekend.

When Hales joined the squad on Saturday in Cardiff, the senior players were surprised he failed to apologise to the group. When the director of cricket, Ashley Giles, canvassed views, nobody stood up for Hales, who on Tuesday was dropped from all England squads this summer for failing a second test for recreational drug use.

Morgan and Bayliss discovered Hales had failed a drug test only when it became public last week and were furious. They were immediately concerned about the damage it would cause to team morale and that a player who had been part of the group for four years had ignored warnings to stay out of trouble and concentrate on cricket in the lead-up to the World Cup. They felt he had to go because of the distraction his presence would have caused in the World Cup build-up.

Many of his colleagues were disappointed he had failed to heed lessons of the past and they would have to answer questions about the team’s discipline and culture when all had bought into the standards demanded by Morgan.

For the record I would be happy to praise the ECB where necessary but I see absolutely nothing to praise them for at the moment. Clowns running a circus and killing the game I enjoy

1 - the durham carry on
2 - this 100 ball shite
3 - forever telling players they can't play red ball cricket, then we wonder why we are getting hammered by Australia for example
5 - county cricket scheduling - early start in april, late finish in September, very little summer red ball cricket
6 - I vaguely remember something about a 2.5m payment to Glamorgan over a test match?

7 - This Hales carry on as I've outlined. Hales’ representatives say they were given assurances that the ban would not in itself affect his chances of being selected, that he had been promised the picks would be made on merit. Basically ECB utterly clueless even about their own rules & words

Overall if someone would like to tell me what good/positive things they are doing for the game, I'm happy to listen

Talked about pre-conceived ideas and opinions.

Hundred ball shite!

We clearly need to increase the participation that is clear as day, yet as soon as something done to achieve that ,is meet with negativity.

Not a ball has been bowled or a single game played, but it’s shite

Scheduling? people are wantingto watch T20 in the summer in the holidays.crowds at many county grounds prove that!

Stokes? Your clear refusal to accept he was out of order which most of the country could see, but you could not see because he played for Durham and once spoke to your wife!

I have no doubt if someone like Warner was involved in a street brawl in the early hours of the morning you would have slaughtered him!

Ashes? When did we last lose a home series I must have missed these so called hammeries.

All other countries bar none in recent years have put more emphasis on red ball cricket.

But no it’s not a international trend it’s all the ECBs fault!

Both Hales and Stokes clearly out of order, however let’s blame the ECB!

What’s been leaked? I’ve missed something.

Just stuff about his team mates now not liking him etc, wanting him out

Maybe its true like but seems like trying to take control of narrative in my experience

check the Mail its in there

Talked about pre-conceived ideas and opinions.

Hundred ball shite!

We clearly need to increase the participation that is clear as day, yet as soon as something done to achieve that ,is meet with negativity.

Not a ball has been bowled or a single game played, but it’s shite

Scheduling? people are wantingto watch T20 in the summer in the holidays.crowds at many county grounds prove that!

Stokes? Your clear refusal to accept he was out of order which most of the country could see, but you could not see because he played for Durham and once spoke to your wife!

I have no doubt if someone like Warner was involved in a street brawl in the early hours of the morning you would have slaughtered him!

Ashes? When did we last lose a home series I must have missed these so called hammeries.

All other countries bar none in recent years have put more emphasis on red ball cricket.

But no it’s not a international trend it’s all the ECBs fault!

Both Hales and Stokes clearly out of order, however let’s blame the ECB!

Don't defend the ECB over the 100 like

Just stuff about his team mates now not liking him etc, wanting him out

Maybe its true like but seems like trying to take control of narrative in my experience

check the Mail its in there

Don't defend the ECB over the 100 like

I would rather hold back my opinion till it actually happens rather than slaughtering it before a ball even bowled!

I don't think you can say its just posters on here against the ECB fo the100, its universally not wanted like.

Yeah that’s fair enough can see that point of view,as not the biggest fan myself.

However at least they trying to do something to increase people taking up the game!

Rather than constant twisting and no solutions which happens on here at times

1 - the durham carry on
2 - this 100 ball shite

All this, plus the blatant double standards and favouritism where some counties are concerned. Being a Durham fan is like being a Northeasterner living in London and trying to get treated as anything other than a parochial halfwit who should know his place.

Yeah that’s fair enough can see that point of view,as not the biggest fan myself.

However at least they trying to do something to increase people taking up the game!

How is another white ball tournament behind a TV pay wall supposed to improve participation?

The answer, which everyone and his dog keeps putting forward, is to get cricket back on free to air TV.

Last edited:

But it is at the determent of the current support. There are more people watching cricket live in the country than for decades.

People might start watching the 100 yeah, but it means they will stop watching their county team.

But it is at the determent of the current support. There are more people watching cricket live in the country than for decades.

People might start watching the 100 yeah, but it means they will stop watching their county team.
People in Kent, Essex, Durham, Gloucestershire, Worcester, Northampton wont be watching it whilst the others get richer. I don't know a single person up here who says they will travel to Leeds to watch it.

All things being equal, is Hales worth his place in the side?
As a cricketer? Yes, 100%. IMO one of the best white ball cricketers in the country, played the best white ball innings I've ever seen live (Lords final 2017), and is an excellent ODI batsman.

But is he worth all the shit surrounding him? Not for me. Especially if it is true that he has completely refused to apologise, pissed off his captain and coach, and gone against warnings and pleas to behave.

I think in the WC, Morgan needs players he can trust. Hales doesn't fall into that.

All this, plus the blatant double standards and favouritism where some counties are concerned. Being a Durham fan is like being a Northeasterner living in London and trying to get treated as anything other than a parochial halfwit who should know his place.
To be fair, maybe you should learn to speak properly ;)

Last edited:
The ECB aren't everyone's cup of tea particularly at the moment and I also think they should be doing more but to say they aren't doing anything is clueless to say the least.

x The All stars initiative they have setup has increased participation by more than double and has also helped to increase attendances at county grounds.
x Coaching and young player pathways have been massively improved and we are probably at the forefront of that in world cricket.
x ECB has looked at getting the wider public involved in the game and come up with a new competition in which every game will be able to viewed live on TV and in some games live on terrestrial TV in an era where it doesn't make financial sense to be on terrestrial tv.
x initiatives around the world cup and hosting it

As a cricketer? Yes, 100%. IMO one of the best white ball cricketers in the country, played the best white ball innings I've ever seen live (Lords final 2017), and is an excellent ODI batsman.

But is he worth all the shit surrounding him? Not for me. Especially if it is true that he has completely refused to apologise, pissed off his captain and coach, and gone against warnings and pleas to behave.

I think in the WC, Morgan needs players he can trust. Hales doesn't fall into that.

To be fair, maybe you should learn to speak properly ;)
He wasn't speaking, he was typing. People in glass houses....

Back