Alex Hales

People in Kent, Essex, Durham, Gloucestershire, Worcester, Northampton wont be watching it whilst the others get richer. I don't know a single person up here who says they will travel to Leeds to watch it.
Equally, I don't know a single person from Surrey who want anything to do with it, me included.

I've no doubt people who don't follow cricket closely will go and there will be decent crowds at the Oval, but absolutely no chance will they be usual cricket folk.

He wasn't speaking, he was typing. People in glass houses....
We talk proper down here mate :cool:

The ECB aren't everyone's cup of tea particularly at the moment and I also think they should be doing more but to say they aren't doing anything is clueless to say the least.

x The All stars initiative they have setup has increased participation by more than double and has also helped to increase attendances at county grounds.
x Coaching and young player pathways have been massively improved and we are probably at the forefront of that in world cricket.
x ECB has looked at getting the wider public involved in the game and come up with a new competition in which every game will be able to viewed live on TV and in some games live on terrestrial TV in an era where it doesn't make financial sense to be on terrestrial tv.
x initiatives around the world cup and hosting it

World Cup = £100 a ticket...

All stars I will accept, that's a great idea.

He wasn't speaking, he was typing. People in glass houses....

And I am posh as NE goes

Talked about pre-conceived ideas and opinions.

Hundred ball shite!

We clearly need to increase the participation that is clear as day, yet as soon as something done to achieve that ,is meet with negativity.

Not a ball has been bowled or a single game played, but it’s shite

Scheduling? people are wantingto watch T20 in the summer in the holidays.crowds at many county grounds prove that!

Stokes? Your clear refusal to accept he was out of order which most of the country could see, but you could not see because he played for Durham and once spoke to your wife!

I have no doubt if someone like Warner was involved in a street brawl in the early hours of the morning you would have slaughtered him!

Ashes? When did we last lose a home series I must have missed these so called hammeries.

All other countries bar none in recent years have put more emphasis on red ball cricket.

But no it’s not a international trend it’s all the ECBs fault!

Both Hales and Stokes clearly out of order, however let’s blame the ECB!
More than double the people watched a day in the Ashes in 2005 than Liverpool's champions League Final in 2018

The biggest paid sporting TV audience in the UK ever.

So it's not rocket science make cricket free to air. The 100 won't do anything.

The ECB aren't everyone's cup of tea particularly at the moment and I also think they should be doing more but to say they aren't doing anything is clueless to say the least.

x The All stars initiative they have setup has increased participation by more than double and has also helped to increase attendances at county grounds.
x Coaching and young player pathways have been massively improved and we are probably at the forefront of that in world cricket.
x ECB has looked at getting the wider public involved in the game and come up with a new competition in which every game will be able to viewed live on TV and in some games live on terrestrial TV in an era where it doesn't make financial sense to be on terrestrial tv.
x initiatives around the world cup and hosting it

"helped increased attendances at county grounds" - I didn't see any young cricket clubs at the 50 over game on Sunday at CLS. The increase in attendances at Durham, I put down to the relentless marketing by Durham to get bums on seats
"young player pathways" - Well Durham have been great at that until we got shafted. Remains to be see how it goes in the future with that. Alienating certain areas from this new 100 ball game won't help and does red ball cricket have a future?
"each has looked at getting the wider public involved in the game and come up with a new competition" - which excludes loads of areas mentioned above. It doesn't include Durham, which immediately alienates Durham, Northumberland and dare I say Cumbria? Even some of the areas selected don't give a toss about it.

"initiatives around the world cup" - I went to see the world cup when it was in Durham the other week, nobody about. Ticket prices are sky high but I don't blame the ECB for that.

The All Stars thing sounds canny and it's promoted well in Durham, but I'll reverse that and say it's a shambles to promote The All Stars thing then not have the new format in Durham......... kids won't want to go to Leeds if they live in Hetton will they? It's Durham Cricket Club itself who are trying hard to get folk in to watch the T20

On top of all of this, not everyone is able to afford sky tv

Stokes? Your clear refusal to accept he was out of order which most of the country could see, but you could not see because he played for Durham and once spoke to your wife!

!

He was found not guilty in court and had already been punished by the ECB by missing The Ashes.

Ashes? When did we last lose a home series I must have missed these so called hammeries.

!

We've just lost a test series to the West Indies ffs.

Last edited:
I am not getting into mate, as don’t want to get into slagging match.

One poster has come out and said because of what happened to Durham he is 100% not objective which is understandable and I fully respect him for been honest.

Yet you call the ECB, FTCB and the Nazi party, yet still maintain you are fair and objective towards them.

I simply find that totally contradictory!

What’s contradictory is you saying you aren’t getting into it and then proceeding to get into it in the next three paragraphs :rolleyes:

He was found not guilty in court and had already been punished by the ECB by missing The Ashes.
Wrong, he wasnt prosecuted.

As well the All Stars things is a great idea copied from Australia and it is seeing huge increases in children at cricket clubs who most likely would never have gone. It has nothing to do with the T20/100 or whatever else you are trying to refer to. If you knew anything about you would realise it is not reliant on a tournament at CLS......but of course you know all this :lol::lol:

As well the All Stars things is a great idea copied from Australia and it is seeing huge increases in children at cricket clubs who most likely would never have gone. It has nothing to do with the T20/100 or whatever else you are trying to refer to. If you knew anything about you would realise it is not reliant on a tournament at CLS......but of course you know all this :lol::lol:

Ben Stokes not guilty of affray

England cricketer Ben Stokes has been found not guilty of affray after a fight near a Bristol nightclub.

I never suggested it was reliant on a competition at CLS................. I said it seems a bit daft getting bairns into cricket via the All Stars thing in the region (Northumberland/Durham/Cleveland), then alienate a massive catchment area from the new tournament they are wanting to promote.............. I've said the All Stars thing is a good idea, keeps the bairns off the streets but Durham/Northumberland/Cleveland is a big area and it would have made sense to involve said area in the new tournament they are hoping attracts a new audience.

Last edited:
Ben Stokes not guilty of affray

England cricketer Ben Stokes has been found not guilty of affray after a fight near a Bristol nightclub.

I never suggested it was reliant on a competition at CLS................. I said it seems a bit daft getting bairns into cricket via the All Stars thing in the region (Northumberland/Durham/Cleveland), then alienate a massive catchment area from the new tournament they are wanting to promote..............
Apologies I thought you meant Hales was not guilty. No need to be a dick with massive emboldened text

Its getting kids involved in a sport early on in the same way they do with football. Between the ages of 5-8 (which All Stars is for) kids just want to run and around and have fun. Do that and get them "in with a club" and then this will develop as they get older.

Maybe just leave it and hope T20/Hundred just makes kids find clubs instead. That is of course if you think the 5-8 year olds in the region actually have the attention span to watch it in the first place.

Maybe dropping him was right, I don't know, but the moralistic nature of some of the collumnists outraged does my head in, I frankly couldn't give a shit about what he has done, but thats just me
I honestly couldn’t agree more.

It’s not just the columnists either I’m sick to death of all these picture perfect moralistic wankers who love nothing more than pontificating when someone makes a mistake.

f***ing hell man Hales got into a scuffle (I’d say most have)

Hales was unfaithful (again quite a lot of people have)

Hales took some sniff (again loads of people have)

Yes fighting and taking drugs isn’t ideal for a top level sportsman but he’s been punished for both and imo that should be that.

Can't be arsed to scroll through and see how the hundred got brought up on this thread but for the record I won't be watching it either. Just because I support a County whose home ground has a franchise doesn't mean I give a fuck. Same for most people whether they support a "big" county or not

It’s not just the columnists either I’m sick to death of all these picture perfect moralistic wankers who love nothing more than pontificating when someone makes a mistake.

Yes fighting and taking drugs isn’t ideal for a top level sportsman but he’s been punished for both and imo that should be that.
yes but when he commits all of the above and repeatedly in one case I do think it's fair to question his suitability to be a peer model. With respect,
are you not pontificating yourself when accusing people of being picture perfect moralistic wankers?

yes but when he commits all of the above and repeatedly in one case I do think it's fair to question his suitability to be a peer model. With respect,
are you not pontificating yourself when accusing people of being picture perfect moralistic wankers?
No I’m pointing out that no one is picture perfect so the moralistic wanker act doesn’t wash I’m afraid.

Sponsors!!

Eh?

He was found not guilty

Don’t lie

Listen to be honest I can understand him being left out

It will be hassle for the squad

I can see both sides of it

But your first paragraph I totally agree with, that’s what annoyed me

He’s not a bad lad and I hope they look after him. Sounds like this happened not too recently, it’s not unexpected as he was suddenly on the front page of newspapers, maybe he didn’t deal with that well

I said same with stokes at the time, the reaction was scandalous IMO. Stokes is a much stronger charachter though

Hales had never been in bother before that, that’s not coincidence

People seem willing to nail him for this fight ignoring that the other blokes were trying to glass people

Last edited:

Back