2019 Cycling thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the difference between a cleat and a floating clear? Dinnit say 4 quid

Wiggle | Look Delta Cleats | Cleats

Float is how much movement( lateral) the cleat allows.
I use Look and the reds allow the most, grey about 4.5 degrees and black none

I use the grey as like a bit flexibility but find the red too much

People first using cleats often use the red as they’re easier to unclip

Reactions: D.A

I use the grey as like a bit flexibility but find the red too much

People first using cleats often use the red as they’re easier to unclip
Cheers. I'll go for the middle.

Where's the cheapest place?

As we break into the second half of the year, how's everyone's yearly goals coming along?

Set myself a goal of 3000KM, having done just over 2500 last year and Strava has me at 1905 YTD so well on course.

Similar to last year. Hopefully I’ll hit around 5500km by the end of the year. Currently at 2900km....wife and kids get in the way of trying for more :D

All a muchness really...Merlin, Tredz, Chain Reaction etc

I’ve always stuck with the reds...still had a few unclip moments anarl.

Last edited:
Similar to last year. Hopefully I’ll hit around 5500km by the end of the year. Currently at 2900km....wife and kids get in the way of trying for more :D

I’ve always stuck with the reds...still had a few unclip moments anarl.

Used grey as they’re normally the ones that come with new pedals etc....if red came with them I’d happily use.
Aye you can just as easily have a comedy fall red or grey

Currently a mile or two below 5000 miles to mid year...about the same as usual ( wife who cycles and no kids) ;)

What's the difference between a cleat and a floating clear? Dinnit say 4 quid

Wiggle | Look Delta Cleats | Cleats
The red delta cleats have a few degrees of float - so when you are clipped in you can still twist yer feet a little bit. The black ones are fixed so when you are clipped in yer foot is rigidly connected to the pedal. When I used deltas I used the fixed ones - I just liked the feel. Fixed ones tend to be used for racing but I think that if you don’t have the setup just right then it can cause knee pain - hence why most people nowadays use the floating ones.
For some reason when I changed to Keo pedals I started using floating cleats and I’m used to them now. I still reckon fixed feel better but I’m just getting old and lazy now in so many ways.
I just gave away a couple of pairs of top end delta pedals that had been kicking around my garage for years to the charity shop last month. Why would you still be using them? (says the bloke who’s best bike’s frame is over 30yrs old)

But Shirley the link he gave was for the old look Delta cleats, not Keo. Deltas only came in red (9deg float) & black(fixed). They only started doing the grey ones with the Keo pedals. Delta cleats dinnat fit Keo pedals.

That's why them cleats are cheap. No fucker uses them nowadays. Well, I suppose it sounds like at least one fucker might.

Yes I'm a pedantic old git.

Last edited:
As we break into the second half of the year, how's everyone's yearly goals coming along?

Set myself a goal of 3000KM, having done just over 2500 last year and Strava has me at 1905 YTD so well on course.
I'm aiming for 2000 miles and I'm about 180 miles behind schedule. Had a slow start to the year because of weather then a couple of issues in June that stopped me getting out. Got Friday afternoon off and will go a very long way home from work so hopefully be less than 100 down by the end of the month.

While I'm posting, what would make a bike slow to change gear on the rear deralier? I decided to put my bike in for a professional gold service as it is getting on a bit and while they cleaned it lovely I think they rushed it off. The breaks were wonkey and made the a sound similar to spilling hot tea on a sea lion. I sorted them out but can't get the gears right. They either didn't go into the top gear and rattled trying or didn't go into the bottom. Now I get the full range but it seems to be a few seconds or when I put a bit more effort in that the gears often change - especially 5-8. Is it just tweaking the barrel adjuster further?

I'm aiming for 2000 miles and I'm about 180 miles behind schedule. Had a slow start to the year because of weather then a couple of issues in June that stopped me getting out. Got Friday afternoon off and will go a very long way home from work so hopefully be less than 100 down by the end of the month.

While I'm posting, what would make a bike slow to change gear on the rear deralier? I decided to put my bike in for a professional gold service as it is getting on a bit and while they cleaned it lovely I think they rushed it off. The breaks were wonkey and made the a sound similar to spilling hot tea on a sea lion. I sorted them out but can't get the gears right. They either didn't go into the top gear and rattled trying or didn't go into the bottom. Now I get the full range but it seems to be a few seconds or when I put a bit more effort in that the gears often change - especially 5-8. Is it just tweaking the barrel adjuster further?
Did they change the cables? Might have just stretched if they're new, you can pull them taught with pliers. Park do a decent video on this. If you are going to try the barrel adjuster, just go in half turns.

Did they change the cables? Might have just stretched if they're new, you can pull them taught with pliers. Park do a decent video on this. If you are going to try the barrel adjuster, just go in half turns.
Cheers, they did change the cables so I’ll try the adjuster as you say and if not do the cable

Cheers, they did change the cables so I’ll try the adjuster as you say and if not do the cable
Sorry mate, actually misread that as front derailleur for some reason . Try the adjuster first, (in half turn increments) but for the rear you might need to adjust the limit screws if they've not done it right. Again, go in quarter turns and follow a video guide like GCN or Park Tools.

I sorted the rear gears in about 10 minutes then spent forever on the front gears. Turns out, you really really really need pliers for that job.

Last edited:
The red delta cleats have a few degrees of float - so when you are clipped in you can still twist yer feet a little bit. The black ones are fixed so when you are clipped in yer foot is rigidly connected to the pedal. When I used deltas I used the fixed ones - I just liked the feel. Fixed ones tend to be used for racing but I think that if you don’t have the setup just right then it can cause knee pain - hence why most people nowadays use the floating ones.
For some reason when I changed to Keo pedals I started using floating cleats and I’m used to them now. I still reckon fixed feel better but I’m just getting old and lazy now in so many ways.
I just gave away a couple of pairs of top end delta pedals that had been kicking around my garage for years to the charity shop last month. Why would you still be using them? (says the bloke who’s best bike’s frame is over 30yrs old)

But Shirley the link he gave was for the old look Delta cleats, not Keo. Deltas only came in red (9deg float) & black(fixed). They only started doing the grey ones with the Keo pedals. Delta cleats dinnat fit Keo pedals.

That's why them cleats are cheap. No fucker uses them nowadays. Well, I suppose it sounds like at least one fucker might.

I thought all look cleats fit all look pedals?

You're right of course...didn't notice they were Delta.
I've made that mistake before and bought Delta rather than Keo thinking they were cheap

I thought all look cleats fit all look pedals?

No

Look Keo and Delta are different.
As Al says the current Keo ones are the ones that come in black. grey and Red

You're right of course...didn't notice they were Delta.
I've made that mistake before and bought Delta rather than Keo thinking they were cheap

No

Look Keo and Delta are different.
As Al says the current Keo ones are the ones that come in black. grey and Red
Fuckinghell. Utter nobs. I think mine are keo

Bought them a couple year ago. Will check
Surely Keo. They must have stopped selling Deltas well over 10 years ago.
I used to keep a set of Delta cleats just for use with the hire bikes at Manchester Velodrome but they have moved to Keo now anarl.

Cycling virgin here .. bought 2nd hand Road bike and went out last sat morn for an hour or so , bike currently has mountain bike pegs on and just wore my running trainers .
Anyway have ordered some fairly basic shimano road pedals with cleats , once they get fitted on is getting road shoes going to help my cycling or fine to just keep using me trainers ? Minefield looking at roadshoes today :D

I think i said i was aiming for more than last year, which i think was 7,200- ish miles if everything went okay. But had problems with my knees and the road bike, so i'm probably not going to make it. Currently on about 4,440 kiloms. Whatever that is in miles. But all done at a snails pace though, so doesn't count..

Cycling virgin here .. bought 2nd hand Road bike and went out last sat morn for an hour or so , bike currently has mountain bike pegs on and just wore my running trainers .
Anyway have ordered some fairly basic shimano road pedals with cleats , once they get fitted on is getting road shoes going to help my cycling or fine to just keep using me trainers ? Minefield looking at roadshoes today :D

Be sure to get someone to ride behind you to record you first few falls.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back