2019 Cycling thread

His last 5km yesterday was absolutely ridiculous basically closed down a minute on Alaphilippe and Fulgslang whilst towing about 9 other riders and then absolutely destroyed everyone in the sprint. This after he wasted energy with a pointless attack about 40k out

Young Dutch cyclist Mathieu van der Poel has just gone and done it again… his current team (Corendon) are not quite big enough to take part in the major tours yet… so after his individual World and European titles over recent years, his wins in road racing classics earlier this year (like the Amstel Gold race - see link above from previous post) and his Cyclocross World Title in February, it seems that Mathieu van der Poel can do everything on any bike … yesterday he has just gone out and won the World Cup for Mountain biking! :eek:

Mathieu van der Poel continues outstanding 2019 season with first ever MTB World Cup victory - Cycling Weekly

It seems that van der Poel will prepare for individual Gold at Olympics in Tokyo in 2020, and then he would like to take part in some Grand Tours… can’t wait to see him in action; legend in the making ;)

Meanwhile the Giro this year has been somewhat of a disappointment with cyclists crashing out, incl the pre race favourite Tom Dumoulin injuring himself after a fall, or reports that some of the Italians have been caught up in blood doping issues?... so right now we only seem to have around twelve cyclists left who are in with a shout for a podium place.

Young Dutch cyclist Mathieu van der Poel has just gone and done it again… his current team (Corendon) are not quite big enough to take part in the major tours yet… so after his individual World and European titles over recent years, his wins in road racing classics earlier this year (like the Amstel Gold race - see link above from previous post) and his Cyclocross World Title in February, it seems that Mathieu van der Poel can do everything on any bike … yesterday he has just gone out and won the World Cup for Mountain biking! :eek:

Mathieu van der Poel continues outstanding 2019 season with first ever MTB World Cup victory - Cycling Weekly

It seems that van der Poel will prepare for individual Gold at Olympics in Tokyo in 2020, and then he would like to take part in some Grand Tours… can’t wait to see him in action; legend in the making ;)

Meanwhile the Giro this year has been somewhat of a disappointment with cyclists crashing out, incl the pre race favourite Tom Dumoulin injuring himself after a fall, or reports that some of the Italians have been caught up in blood doping issues?... so right now we only seem to have around twelve cyclists left who are in with a shout for a podium place.

Sivakov will win a grand tour before him...still only 21 and a huge future ahead of him

Sivakov will win a grand tour before him...still only 21 and a huge future ahead of him

no... his disadvantage is he is tied up with the new Sky team calling itself Ineos… and as an individual cyclist then Sivakov doesn't even come close to what van der Poel has achieved so far. In fact, this has got to be a pisstake surely? :eek: :lol:

no... his disadvantage is he is tied up with the new Sky team calling itself Ineos… and as an individual cyclist then Sivakov doesn't even come close to what van der Poel has achieved so far. In fact, this has got to be a pisstake surely? :eek: :lol:

Maybe not the all rounder that der Poel is but I’d bank on him winning a grand tour before him.
What the fuck are you on about the new Sky team bollox ? Sky ended sponsorship, just like many many other teams in cycling they find new sponsorship.The likes of Movistar and Lotto Visma are no different, just iterations of former teams with different sponsors.

How is him riding or “being tied up” with Ineos a disadvantage ? He was signed as being one of the best young riders out there ( along with Bernal and the likes of Sosa). In a couple of years they will be big GC riders

Sivakov is three years younger and if you look at De Poels palmares on the road it’s far from a piss take to say his record more than matches your Der Poel

Maybe not the all rounder that der Poel is but I’d bank on him winning a grand tour before him.
What the fuck are you on about the new Sky team bollox ? Sky ended sponsorship, just like many many other teams in cycling they find new sponsorship.The likes of Movistar and Lotto Visma are no different, just iterations of former teams with different sponsors.

How is him riding or “being tied up” with Ineos a disadvantage ? He was signed as being one of the best young riders out there ( along with Bernal and the likes of Sosa). In a couple of years they will be big GC riders

Sivakov is three years younger and if you look at De Poels palmares on the road it’s far from a piss take to say his record more than matches your Der Poel

If he wins a grand tour before matje van der Poel it will be down to him being part of well financed team (Sky/Ineos) while van der Poel is currently in a team (Corendon) that are not top tier so not taking part in grand tours as we speak. But I don't see much of a long term future for the team now known as Ineos.
But when comparing both cyclists achievements to date...simply no contest

Pavel Sivakov - Wikipedia

Mathieu van der Poel - Wikipedia

as a summary, you get Major Wins on right of each page... when you want to check out Major Results at bottom of first page then Sivakov has done pretty well... with van der Poel you have to click on expansion option to see all his results covering about 2 pages! ;)
Even just his Road Results (so ignore all his World and European Titles with other cycling disciplines) blows Sivakov out the water... so yeah, piss take :lol:

If he wins a grand tour before matje van der Poel it will be down to him being part of well financed team (Sky/Ineos) while van der Poel is currently in a team (Corendon) that are not top tier so not taking part in grand tours as we speak. But I don't see much of a long term future for the team now known as Ineos.
But when comparing both cyclists achievements to date...simply no contest

Pavel Sivakov - Wikipedia

Mathieu van der Poel - Wikipedia

as a summary, you get Major Wins on right of each page... when you want to check out Major Results at bottom of first page then Sivakov has done pretty well... with van der Poel you have to click on expansion option to see all his results covering about 2 pages! ;)
Even just his Road Results (so ignore all his World and European Titles with other cycling disciplines) blows Sivakov out the water... so yeah, piss take :lol:

You’re on about Van Der Poel talking about riding a Grand Tour for the first time at about 26 years of age, whereas Sivakov will have been riding them by then for 5 years or so.
So yeah I’m fairly confident he will win one at a way earlier age than VDP :lol:

Der Poel is undoubtedly a huge talent over more disciplines, but let’s be honest apart from your lot and the Belgians XC doesn’t count for a lot. VDP hasn’t yet done a world tour stage race, whereas Sivakov has actually won one and every chance of GC top ten all at the age of 21, again five years before VDP actually rides one !

And I couldn’t give a fuck how many wiki pages of XC wins he has :lol:

He’s over 6 six feet and 75 kilo and not known as a time trialer....he might be a f***ing dud as a GC rider for all you know. You’re comparing apples and bananas.

And what is your inside knowledge on Team Ineos not having a long term future....just signed a long term contract ( well for cycling it’s long term)

You’re on about Van Der Poel talking about riding a Grand Tour for the first time at about 26 years of age, whereas Sivakov will have been riding them by then for 5 years or so.
So yeah I’m fairly confident he will win one at a way earlier age than VDP :lol:

Der Poel is undoubtedly a huge talent over more disciplines, but let’s be honest apart from your lot and the Belgians XC doesn’t count for a lot. VDP hasn’t yet done a world tour stage race, whereas Sivakov has actually won one and every chance of GC top ten all at the age of 21, again five years before VDP actually rides one !

And I couldn’t give a fuck how many wiki pages of XC wins he has :lol:

He’s over 6 six feet and 75 kilo and not known as a time trialer....he might be a f***ing dud as a GC rider for all you know. You’re comparing apples and bananas.

And what is your inside knowledge on Team Ineos not having a long term future....just signed a long term contract ( well for cycling it’s long term)

let Sivakov win his Grand Tour before van der Poel... happy? - who really cares if somebody wins a certain tour first anyway? :rolleyes:
I was initially on about exciting and great cyclists on the rise... so Sivakov with his financial backing wins a tour de alps and one of the Grand Tours, or gets a podium place on one of the big tours, etc, etc.... fast forward ten or twenty years and people look back: van der Poel a potential legendry figure and some Russian/French national won a few races and was part of one of the most boring cycling teams around. I know who I'd rather have been :lol:

let Sivakov win his Grand Tour before van der Poel... happy? - who really cares if somebody wins a certain tour first anyway? :rolleyes:
I was initially on about exciting and great cyclists on the rise... so Sivakov with his financial backing wins a tour de alps and one of the Grand Tours, or gets a podium place on one of the big tours, etc, etc.... fast forward ten or twenty years and people look back: van der Poel a potential legendry figure and some Russian/French national won a few races and was part of one of the most boring cycling teams around. I know who I'd rather have been :lol:

If you put your childish anti Sky’s/Ineos sentiment to one side and your disdain for anyone not Dutch ( “some Russian/French National”) you would see that you’re comparing two young cyclists who are going to achieve a lot.

Your initial post was giddy at the thought of him riding some Grand Tours, I’m simply pointing out there are other young cyclists ( Bernal, Sivakov, Pogacar and the likes of Soller) who are already are or about to be the future of GC’s)

Van Der Poel clearly a huge talent but I’m not even sure he’s done any stage races to date. A certain Peter Sagan has a fair old road palmares but never going to win a GC.
Comparing one day races to three week stage races are entirely different things

Any case I’m off to the pub so this will have to end...

Been using the stock alexrims wheels that came with my Scott speedster 20 for the last 5 years and looking to upgrade.

Heard great things about the hunt race aero wide at around 400 quid. At that price point will there be a great deal of benefit upgrading from stock wheels? If yes anyone had any experience with hunt wheels or other wheels around 500 quid.

Doing this at the weekend:
Welcome to the Black Sheep Big Spoon Bike Ride
Looking forward to my pint(s) of blacksheep at the end more than anything.

Been using the stock alexrims wheels that came with my Scott speedster 20 for the last 5 years and looking to upgrade.

Heard great things about the hunt race aero wide at around 400 quid. At that price point will there be a great deal of benefit upgrading from stock wheels? If yes anyone had any experience with hunt wheels or other wheels around 500 quid.
Had Hunt wheels for about a year. They've been rock solid and still true and I've had like 2 punctures.

Not Hunt wheels but upgraded stock wheels to a good pair of American Classics around that price ( don’t think you can still get them) but very good

Hunt wheels are just kinlin rims and novatec hubs. You can get them hand built by better wheelbuilders for less money. Ad dee ya a pair but shipping would be prohibitive.

We just got a delivery of Phil Wood hubs this morning; think a pair will be going on my fixie soon.

Hunt wheels are just kinlin rims and novatec hubs. You can get them hand built by better wheelbuilders for less money. Ad dee ya a pair but shipping would be prohibitive.

We just got a delivery of Phil Wood hubs this morning; think a pair will be going on my fixie soon.

Ended up going for some JRA Lark Light's in the end. Customer service seems spot on and havent seen any negative comments on the quality.

Does anyone have any cycle insurance companies they would recommend or avoid? My bike is a 10 year old hybrid that was only around £400 new, so the value is not much to shout about. If I keep things going the way they are, I'm likely to be doing a regular 1.5-2k miles per year, so I just need something for injury and accident cover.

PedalSure comes out pretty cheap. Any good?

Does anyone have any cycle insurance companies they would recommend or avoid? My bike is a 10 year old hybrid that was only around £400 new, so the value is not much to shout about. If I keep things going the way they are, I'm likely to be doing a regular 1.5-2k miles per year, so I just need something for injury and accident cover.

PedalSure comes out pretty cheap. Any good?

Join British Cycling

Back