2019 Cycling thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cycling virgin here .. bought 2nd hand Road bike and went out last sat morn for an hour or so , bike currently has mountain bike pegs on and just wore my running trainers .
Anyway have ordered some fairly basic shimano road pedals with cleats , once they get fitted on is getting road shoes going to help my cycling or fine to just keep using me trainers ? Minefield looking at roadshoes today :D
It'll help a little bit and you won't knack your shins when you miss the pedal. Just make sure the sole of the shoe is solid and you'll be fine. The dhb ones are decent

It'll help a little bit and you won't knack your shins when you miss the pedal. Just make sure the sole of the shoe is solid and you'll be fine. The dhb ones are decent
tried 3 different ones on last saturday but the cycling equivalent of swiss tony in the store done my head in , will get one of those 3 ordered online this weekend

tried 3 different ones on last saturday but the cycling equivalent of swiss tony in the store done my head in , will get one of those 3 ordered online this weekend

Its worth paying for a decent pair, especially for comfort etc

Think my specailized ones were £1oo.......3 years later they're still in decent nick and going strong.

Which Shimano pedals did you get? If you have the ones for the smaller spd cleats (as opposed to the bigger spd-sl) then it's worth considering using touring shoes, as these have the cleats recessed into the soles and make walking easier. So less chance you'll slip on the bar floor and spill your pint.

Also, I recommend you have a look at Shimano shoes. They fit me well, which a lot of cycling shoes don't - some seem too long & narrow for some reason. I don't know whether it's just my feet that are a weird shape or wot but I find that the ones with the fancy wire closure systems are no good for me. I find it's best to have just three velcro straps, or two velcro straps with a third ratchet strap at the top - that way you can adjust them properly for yer feet whatever shape they are. Or laces still work well if you want to go all hipster.

Which Shimano pedals did you get? If you have the ones for the smaller spd cleats (as opposed to the bigger spd-sl) then it's worth considering using touring shoes, as these have the cleats recessed into the soles and make walking easier. So less chance you'll slip on the bar floor and spill your pint.

Also, I recommend you have a look at Shimano shoes. They fit me well, which a lot of cycling shoes don't - some seem too long & narrow for some reason. I don't know whether it's just my feet that are a weird shape or wot but I find that the ones with the fancy wire closure systems are no good for me. I find it's best to have just three velcro straps, or two velcro straps with a third ratchet strap at the top - that way you can adjust them properly for yer feet whatever shape they are. Or laces still work well if you want to go all hipster.

There's a thing called Boa dials now ;)

Seriously though I find them far better than ratchet closure as ther micro adjustment allows a better fit.

Surely Keo. They must have stopped selling Deltas well over 10 years ago.
I used to keep a set of Delta cleats just for use with the hire bikes at Manchester Velodrome but they have moved to Keo now anarl.

Derby velodrome also using Look Keo
I went there for the first time a week before buying my road shoes so that's what I where

There's a thing called Boa dials now ;)

Seriously though I find them far better than ratchet closure as ther micro adjustment allows a better fit.
Them Boa dials are just a variant of the systems that use wires to supposedly apply an even pressure over all of your foot from one tightening point. I find they are no good for me - whether it's trainers or ski boots or cycling shoes or whatever all of those systems end up causing me agony. I just need to be able to tighten the front/middle/top of the shoe independently, so any system where there are three separately adjustable closures is fine, whether they are velcro straps or ratchets or whatever doesn't really matter, so long as they are independent.

Them Boa dials are just a variant of the systems that use wires to supposedly apply an even pressure over all of your foot from one tightening point. I find they are no good for me - whether it's trainers or ski boots or cycling shoes or whatever all of those systems end up causing me agony. I just need to be able to tighten the front/middle/top of the shoe independently, so any system where there are three separately adjustable closures is fine, whether they are velcro straps or ratchets or whatever doesn't really matter, so long as they are independent.

Many shoes now have two or three Boa dials...especially with the softer type wires.
The recent ones bought are by far the comfiest shoes I’ve had (two soft wire Boa dials)

Many shoes now have two or three Boa dials...especially with the softer type wires.
The recent ones bought are by far the comfiest shoes I’ve had (two soft wire Boa dials)
Yeah but I'm guessing that what you describe as soft wires have some elasticity? That's precisely what I can't tolerate. I need to be able to adjust the shoe so that it's snug in all the right places but not putting any pressure on in the way any form of elasticated systems do. I've got a high instep and narrow ankles. Nowadays most of the higher end shoes tend to incorporate some fan-bloody-marvellous closure system that makes them nee good for me.

Last edited:
I've got them in the wide version. They've been mint. The front isn't hard wearing though so if you make a tight turn you might scuff them on your front tyre. Being able to pull out the discs to get them off is class. Worth looking at some inserts to raise your arches. Only a few quid. I'll see if I can find the link.

I'm currently using Shimano RP5 and they are fine. Just simple no nonsense shoes that you can tighten as you want

I've got them in the wide version. They've been mint. The front isn't hard wearing though so if you make a tight turn you might scuff them on your front tyre. Being able to pull out the discs to get them off is class. Worth looking at some inserts to raise your arches. Only a few quid. I'll see if I can find the link.

Recently bought the RC7s...very good and good looking in black

I think i said i was aiming for more than last year, which i think was 7,200- ish miles if everything went okay. But had problems with my knees and the road bike, so i'm probably not going to make it. Currently on about 4,440 kiloms. Whatever that is in miles. But all done at a snails pace though, so doesn't count..

All counts mate, rarely pay attention to my speeds personally unless I get a PB medal on Strava.

Some cracking stats those. Wish I had the time to knock out that many.

thinking of finally putting my garmin forerunner 310xt out to pasture - looking at the lezyne super gps as a replacement

anyone got one??

2 great days at the TDF Grand depart Brussels has been brilliant.

Aye been class.

Looking forward to seeing how it unfolds. They still have a strong team, but don't feel like Ineos will be able to dominate like they have in the last 7-8 years.

Did 65 miles up to Bellingham then up the vomits the day. Dying. Did get to see the proper cyclists smashing it up the ryals at about 15 mph. Managed 48 mph going down them mind. Nearly wet myself like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back