2019 Cycling thread

Got 560 to do this year to hit my revised target. I have a feeling it will be very soggy. Commuting everyday at the minute and it is getting harder and harder to get going in the morning.

Got 560 to do this year to hit my revised target. I have a feeling it will be very soggy. Commuting everyday at the minute and it is getting harder and harder to get going in the morning.

what‘s the target ?

my rough ish target will fall short due to a few days we will be away between Xmas and new year...not that I’m too fussed.

Last edited:
what‘s the target ?

my rough ish target will fall short due to a few days we will be away between Xmas and new year...not that I’m too fussed.
Initially it was to beat last years 3350. But I went passed that in August so I jokingly said 5,000. If I can manage 100 more this week, it might be possible.
Just checked and I have 460 to go not 560! It could happen.

How has everyone done with their yearly targets? I failed! I was aiming for 2,000 miles, but stopped at 1855. I’m still up on 500 miles from last year. Not enough effort at the start of the year when it was cold and wet, then didn’t want to go out in the height of the summer when it was really hot. I pulled my knee ligaments at the start of December so decided to ease off and be fit for next year, rather than going for it and really hurting myself.

Same target next year. Now wimping out in Jan/Feb should see me hit it,

How has everyone done with their yearly targets? I failed! I was aiming for 2,000 miles, but stopped at 1855. I’m still up on 500 miles from last year. Not enough effort at the start of the year when it was cold and wet, then didn’t want to go out in the height of the summer when it was really hot. I pulled my knee ligaments at the start of December so decided to ease off and be fit for next year, rather than going for it and really hurting myself.

Same target next year. Now wimping out in Jan/Feb should see me hit it,

love cycling in the heat :cool:
Didn’t have a target...normally hit around 10,000 miles a year and Strava shows 9,833 with say another 50 tomorrow.
No targets for next year, though I have just booked Mallorca for Easter which is a yearly cycling jaunt/goal each year and possibly another in September with lads.

Target was to beat last years- and I've done that just by 30 miles. More ascent this year too- so that'll be my target for next year and hopefully do the c2c in a day.

can anyone recommend a road ebike for under 2k? I want to get back into cycling but I'm too overweight to do the 13 miles to and from newcastle for work as much as I'd like. My cycle to work scheme goes upto that amount but they all seem to start about £2600. I have found an orbea gain D50 but that only comes with the 8x2 claris groupset which seems very low for a 2k bike, even one with the electrics. I much prefer drop bars over flats, far more comfortable.

can anyone recommend a road ebike for under 2k? I want to get back into cycling but I'm too overweight to do the 13 miles to and from newcastle for work as much as I'd like. My cycle to work scheme goes upto that amount but they all seem to start about £2600. I have found an orbea gain D50 but that only comes with the 8x2 claris groupset which seems very low for a 2k bike, even one with the electrics. I much prefer drop bars over flats, far more comfortable.
Lose weight, buy a road bike.

I've done a grand total of 899 miles this year. I just haven't got back into it after my heart op. The club I used to be in folded, and I've just been doing other stuff - I've started climbing again after a break of more than 20 years, so that's taking up a bit of time, I'm doing a little bit more running and a lot more walking. When I do get out on the bike I feel like I've got nee power - the other week I went out on the fixie and started thinking, fuck this gear's a bit big :) Maybe I'll start getting some miles in again next year.

love cycling in the heat :cool:
Didn’t have a target...normally hit around 10,000 miles a year and Strava shows 9,833 with say another 50 tomorrow.
No targets for next year, though I have just booked Mallorca for Easter which is a yearly cycling jaunt/goal each year and possibly another in September with lads.
I love the heat too. No targets for me either but seriously disappointed with my mileage and general fitness this year. As my teachers used to say 'could do better'

trying to lose weight. A normal road bike would make it too long to commute.
Is that sunland - newcastle ? What route using ? Too much traffic put me off doing similar . As @D.A Recommended , get a light road bike , may struggle first few week but doing that daily your fitness would improve dramatically and your commute time

Is that sunland - newcastle ? What route using ? Too much traffic put me off doing similar . As @D.A Recommended , get a light road bike , may struggle first few week but doing that daily your fitness would improve dramatically and your commute time

yup. Used to do it when I was younger, 5 days a week at one point. I used to go North Hylton road - Follingsby Lane - Felling bypass - Tyne Bridge, I then changed to go through Boldon then along Downhill Lane to Follingsby Lane. I think the later route is slightly longer but all the traffic lights on North Hylton Road became infuriating. I think at last count for the 12.5mile route there were 36 sets of lights going that route and Follingsby Lane is like off-roading. Traffic never bothered me, most of it goes slower than you do on a bike on that route anyway.

I used to average 45mins, but as time went on even as I got fitter and go better bikes that felt like a long way away when I struggled to do it in 55mins. It doesn't sound like much difference, but the repetitive route was annoying, taking longer and as my bike was paid off the now faster metro became more appealing. I also had more and more dog training to get to after work, usually 2 nights then going away straight after work on a Friday to an agility show, that slower time was no good.

I figure if I can get close to that 45min time via an ebike starting out on full assist then as I get back into it I can drop the assist down. After a year I can sell it and get a standard road bike again. I always have the motorbike for when I need to go faster.

I've found that Ribble do a cx for £1999 with tiagra, which might just fit the bill.

yup. Used to do it when I was younger, 5 days a week at one point. I used to go North Hylton road - Follingsby Lane - Felling bypass - Tyne Bridge, I then changed to go through Boldon then along Downhill Lane to Follingsby Lane. I think the later route is slightly longer but all the traffic lights on North Hylton Road became infuriating. I think at last count for the 12.5mile route there were 36 sets of lights going that route and Follingsby Lane is like off-roading. Traffic never bothered me, most of it goes slower than you do on a bike on that route anyway.

I used to average 45mins, but as time went on even as I got fitter and go better bikes that felt like a long way away when I struggled to do it in 55mins. It doesn't sound like much difference, but the repetitive route was annoying, taking longer and as my bike was paid off the now faster metro became more appealing. I also had more and more dog training to get to after work, usually 2 nights then going away straight after work on a Friday to an agility show, that slower time was no good.

I figure if I can get close to that 45min time via an ebike starting out on full assist then as I get back into it I can drop the assist down. After a year I can sell it and get a standard road bike again. I always have the motorbike for when I need to go faster.

I've found that Ribble do a cx for £1999 with tiagra, which might just fit the bill.
Unless you're made of money, you'll lose loads of money on it

Back