2019 Cycling thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone watching Flanders today?

Got a stinking hangover after Rochdale then a gig last night, so going to sit on my fat arse and watch most of it today.

Had a few quid on a couple of riders to make it interesting too. Van Avarmaet, Matthews, Kristoff and Valverde.

Backed Jungels 16/1 and Stybar each way 8/1 ha’way Quickstep

Mathieu van der Poel is the new exciting kid on the block this season and he is being tipped to win a fair few races... will be interesting to see how his team do in major tours? - Corendon are team from Belgium with mix of European cyclists.
van der Poel has been winning a lot over recent years and this season has turned his talents to the road... in NL they are saying he's most exciting talent since Dumoulin.
He is actually son of former Dutch cyclist Adrie van der Poel, but he is also grandson of former French champion Raymond Poulidor … that's some pedigree that :eek:

Mathieu van der Poel is the new exciting kid on the block this season and he is being tipped to win a fair few races... will be interesting to see how his team do in major tours? - Corendon are team from Belgium with mix of European cyclists.
van der Poel has been winning a lot over recent years and this season has turned his talents to the road... in NL they are saying he's most exciting talent since Dumoulin.
He is actually son of former Dutch cyclist Adrie van der Poel, but he is also grandson of former French champion Raymond Poulidor … that's some pedigree that :eek:

Although at a very early stage in his career, they could very well become the most successful father son combination in the sports history. Rarely do sons of top riders do well. His old fella won Flanders and LBL.

Would be great to see him at the tour this year and old Poupou in the caravan.

Although at a very early stage in his career, they could very well become the most successful father son combination in the sports history. Rarely do sons of top riders do well. His old fella won Flanders and LBL.

Would be great to see him at the tour this year and old Poupou in the caravan.

here's hoping!

On the father/son combo thing... lets not forget Jos and Max Verstappen in F1 - in fact, both Max Verstappen and Matje van der Poel (the 2 sons) are being compared to each other as to their reckless but exciting nature whilst competing in their sports! - Hope to see another maverick tackle the major tours this summer :cool:

I also listened to an interview with van der Poel after the race yesterday and he claims he didn't know that the Italian cyclist Bettiol was alone ahead!? He says his team had not made him aware and when he went on attack with around 5km to go he thought he was the leader!? … which if true raises questions about his team with major tours coming up? (Corendon will be new, possibly inexperienced team in peloton?)

here's hoping!

On the father/son combo thing... lets not forget Jos and Max Verstappen in F1 - in fact, both Max Verstappen and Matje van der Poel (the 2 sons) are being compared to each other as to their reckless but exciting nature whilst competing in their sports! - Hope to see another maverick tackle the major tours this summer :cool:

I also listened to an interview with van der Poel after the race yesterday and he claims he didn't know that the Italian cyclist Bettiol was alone ahead!? He says his team had not made him aware and when he went on attack with around 5km to go he thought he was the leader!? … which if true raises questions about his team with major tours coming up? (Corendon will be new, possibly inexperienced team in peloton?)

dont worry, after the classics season is finished we'll hear no more from Corendon

here's hoping!

I think he was happy enough with 4th after his crash with 60km to go. Outside of Bettiol, his was the most impressive ride of the race. Brilliant.

Looking for a bit of advice lads and lasses. Anyone ever flown with their bicycle?

This summer, I plan to cycle from Venice to Slovenia and subsequently tour Slovenia for a couple of weeks. I will not return home from the same airport I land at. It is relatively reasonable to take a bicycle with Ryanair at €60 each way, in comparison to rental rates and of course, I would have my own bike which is much better than what I would get from a rental place.

However, it needs to be packaged in a bike bag /box. Clearly that is no problem to fly from home to Venice, but then what do I do about getting my bike home from Ljubljana? Is there a fold away bicycle bag on the market?

Looking for a bit of advice lads and lasses. Anyone ever flown with their bicycle?

This summer, I plan to cycle from Venice to Slovenia and subsequently tour Slovenia for a couple of weeks. I will not return home from the same airport I land at. It is relatively reasonable to take a bicycle with Ryanair at €60 each way, in comparison to rental rates and of course, I would have my own bike which is much better than what I would get from a rental place.

However, it needs to be packaged in a bike bag /box. Clearly that is no problem to fly from home to Venice, but then what do I do about getting my bike home from Ljubljana? Is there a fold away bicycle bag on the market?

Not sure how foldable....but plenty of bike bags ( rather than boxes about)

Bike transport cover EKOI

dont worry, after the classics season is finished we'll hear no more from Corendon

but we will be hearing a lot more about new cycling sensation Mathieu van der Poel ;)

His Amstel Gold Race win yesterday was described by many ex pro cyclists as the greatest victory ever seen! … I think Eurosport will have images of the final sprint, etc :eek:

His team Corendon may well not feature in the maior road tours, but come the World Cup in the summer (Yorkshire this year?) the Dutch will have van der Poel in their team :cool:

Amstel Gold Race - Wikipedia

Last edited:
but we will be hearing a lot more about new cycling sensation Mathieu van der Poel ;)

His Amstel Gold Race win yesterday was described by many ex pro cyclists as the greatest victory ever seen! … I think Eurosport will have images of the final sprint, etc :eek:

His team Corendon may well not feature in the maior road tours, but come the World Cup in the summer (Yorkshire this year?) the Dutch will have van der Poel in their team :cool:

Amstel Gold Race - Wikipedia

His last 5km yesterday was absolutely ridiculous basically closed down a minute on Alaphilippe and Fulgslang whilst towing about 9 other riders and then absolutely destroyed everyone in the sprint. This after he wasted energy with a pointless attack about 40k out

His last 5km yesterday was absolutely ridiculous basically closed down a minute on Alaphilippe and Fulgslang whilst towing about 9 other riders and then absolutely destroyed everyone in the sprint. This after he wasted energy with a pointless attack about 40k out

he is basically being seen mentality wise as the cycling equivalent of a Max Verstappen... reckless and exciting.
In addition, he already has his World titles in the other cycling disciplines and turned to road racing this season... he just keeps attacking, has a crash, gets on his bike and attacks again... he is going to be an absolute sensation if he keeps this going :cool:

he is basically being seen mentality wise as the cycling equivalent of a Max Verstappen... reckless and exciting.
In addition, he already has his World titles in the other cycling disciplines and turned to road racing this season... he just keeps attacking, has a crash, gets on his bike and attacks again... he is going to be an absolute sensation if he keeps this going :cool:

He clearly has an incredible engine based on yesterday and Flanders, making world class classics riders looking like amateurs. Shame he’s focusing on MTB till next years olympics as would be interesting to see what he could achieve if he focused 100% on the road with a decent team

He clearly has an incredible engine based on yesterday and Flanders, making world class classics riders looking like amateurs. Shame he’s focusing on MTB till next years olympics as would be interesting to see what he could achieve if he focused 100% on the road with a decent team

I think he is just taking his time... he only just turned 24.
Will probably go for things like individual World or Euro titles and classics... then sign some mega deal to join top team next summer or year after?
I also noticed his dad won the Amstel Gold Race back in 1990 - one proud family right now :cool:

I think he is just taking his time... he only just turned 24.
Will probably go for things like individual World or Euro titles and classics... then sign some mega deal to join top team next summer or year after?
I also noticed his dad won the Amstel Gold Race back in 1990 - one proud family right now :cool:

His granddad did alright too ;)

Imagine if you backed Alaphilipe- what a nugget.

He should have backed himself to outsprint Fulgslang even if it meant he kept riding up to 500m or so to go

Last edited:
His granddad did alright too ;)

He should have backed himself to outsprint Fulgslang even if it meant he kept riding up to 500m or so to go
He should never have lost that race- hegave one minute away in the last 1500m- I bet he’s disgusted with himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back