2019 Cycling thread

Just got round to finishing rebuild of my winter bike, just in time to put it away for a few months :)
New(old) frame, NOS crankset, new long drop brake calipers and 28mm tyres for me old bones. It's nearly reached Trigger's broom status - I think the saddle, seatpost, mudguards & bottle cages are the only bits surviving from the original build of 6 or 7 years ago. It gives me summat to do.
Logon or register to see this image

Just got round to finishing rebuild of my winter bike, just in time to put it away for a few months :)
New(old) frame, NOS crankset, new long drop brake calipers and 28mm tyres for me old bones. It's nearly reached Trigger's broom status - I think the saddle, seatpost, mudguards & bottle cages are the only bits surviving from the original build of 6 or 7 years ago. It gives me summat to do.

Just put winter bikes away but when they re emerge I’m looking to put proper mudguards on.
Been using crud mk 2 and 3 but while they give good coverage around BB etc they don’t quite do the job re coverage on the back or give durability.

What do you suggest for proper mudguards( bikes obviously have eyelets ) ?

Never used owt but “clip on” guards

Just put winter bikes away but when they re emerge I’m looking to put proper mudguards on.
Been using crud mk 2 and 3 but while they give good coverage around BB etc they don’t quite do the job re coverage on the back or give durability.

What do you suggest for proper mudguards( bikes obviously have eyelets ) ?

Never used owt but “clip on” guards

I have always used SKS Chromoplastic. They last for ever. I have only had to replace a set because of a crash. You will probably want to put a longer mudflap on if you ride in a group.

Actually what I meant was you will want to put a good mudflap on the back mudguard, as they don't come with one fitted for some reason.

Last edited:
Anyone watching TDY today? The final intermediate sprint is at the end of my street pretty much, so going to head down and watch.

Police appeal for witnesses after cyclist dies during Velo 2019 event - Cycling Weekly

Tragic...sounds like the descent isn't unlike the bottom bit of Crawleyside that Velo Durham will be going down.

Joked about it previously but in all seriousness it's a recipe for carnage :eek:

I think Crawleyside will be fine as it turns into quite a shallow descent after the last hairpin

Peth Bank however does'nt really flatten out till the last 100 yards before the junction, and is narrow, and is a horrible road surface

Think the bottom bit of Crawleyside, which is the steepest on the two turns will be nuts.

Lad who lives up that way brought in a map ( for road closures) and from that it doesn't look like they're going down Peth.

Agree nuts if they do mind

Good to see there are a few cyclists on this forum! That looks like a nice project.

Thats my summer project to build a winter bike, I’ve never bothered in the past as I’ve always been in the habit of giving my bike a good wash down over each ride in winter but let it slip this year and stuck my main bike in the garage after a trip to Belgium in December. Checked it in January and the spoke nipples had split as salt had gotten in there and I guess expanded. Luckily, replaced under warranty by The distributor as they were under a year old, but only after a bit of haggling with the manufacturers. Won’t risk it again.

Good to see there are a few cyclists on this forum! That looks like a nice project.

Thats my summer project to build a winter bike, I’ve never bothered in the past as I’ve always been in the habit of giving my bike a good wash down over each ride in winter but let it slip this year and stuck my main bike in the garage after a trip to Belgium in December. Checked it in January and the spoke nipples had split as salt had gotten in there and I guess expanded. Luckily, replaced under warranty by The distributor as they were under a year old, but only after a bit of haggling with the manufacturers. Won’t risk it again.
I used to use my "summer" road bike all year round. To be honest I regard a bike to be a machine that should be capable of doing the job, but my summer road bike is something of a vintage machine now so initially I built up a winter bike to not flog it to death, and also I needed to have proper mudguards for winter cub rides. After this latest rebuild I now have two bikes that ride quite differently - the summer bike is old fashioned racing geometry and the winter one is more modern comfortable endurance geometry. Both really good but different. Actually the new build rides so well I'm just about to take the mudguards off and I think I'll use it a lot in the summer too (frame is designed for 4-seasons use like this). Then my touring bike provides the other end of the riding spectrum - like riding along in a comfy old armchair :) I use that mainly in the summer, but it's built to cope with any conditions really. And of course there's the fixed gear road bike - it has racing angles with mudguards clearance so I use that winter & summer too.
I've never had any problems with corrosion on wheels, and I'm certainly not fastidious in keeping bikes clean - so long as drivetrain is clean & lubricated that'll do me. What kind of wheels were they?

I used to use my "summer" road bike all year round. To be honest I regard a bike to be a machine that should be capable of doing the job, but my summer road bike is something of a vintage machine now so initially I built up a winter bike to not flog it to death, and also I needed to have proper mudguards for winter cub rides. After this latest rebuild I now have two bikes that ride quite differently - the summer bike is old fashioned racing geometry and the winter one is more modern comfortable endurance geometry. Both really good but different. Actually the new build rides so well I'm just about to take the mudguards off and I think I'll use it a lot in the summer too (frame is designed for 4-seasons use like this). Then my touring bike provides the other end of the riding spectrum - like riding along in a comfy old armchair :) I use that mainly in the summer, but it's built to cope with any conditions really. And of course there's the fixed gear road bike - it has racing angles with mudguards clearance so I use that winter & summer too.
I've never had any problems with corrosion on wheels, and I'm certainly not fastidious in keeping bikes clean - so long as drivetrain is clean & lubricated that'll do me. What kind of wheels were they?

Campag Bora Ultras, I took my daughter to ride the track at Roubaix just before Xmas and had it on the tow mounted carrier at the back so I think it was absolutely encased in salt from the roads when I got back and I used the other bike through January. I’ve ridden on all sorts over the years, mainly Mavic, and never had any probs. Four in total on both wheels were split with what looked like salt in them. Campag were sketchy on information but the bike shop I bought them from were of the view that they knew there was an issue with the spoke nipple material and the new wheels used a different material.

Fancy an aluminium cannondale CAAD 4 as a winter bike and I’m on the lookout for a frame on eBay as we speak! My first proper bike and I loved it.

Finally worked that out.... again!

Last edited:
Campag Bora Ultras, I took my daughter to ride the track at Roubaix just before Xmas and had it on the tow mounted carrier at the back so I think it was absolutely encased in salt from the roads when I got back and I used the other bike through January. I’ve ridden on all sorts over the years, mainly Mavic, and never had any probs. Four in total on both wheels were split with what looked like salt in them. Campag were sketchy on information but the bike shop I bought them from were of the view that they knew there was an issue with the spoke nipple material and the new wheels used a different material.

Fancy an aluminium cannondale CAAD 4 as a winter bike and I’m on the lookout for a frame on eBay as we speak! My first proper bike and I loved it.

Finally worked that out.... again!
Ah, well, that's yer exotic carbon hoops for you. I've always relied on Mavic ksyrium elite, or open pro rims & the like mainly so it's all traditional materials and fairly bombproof.
We had a French chap in our club for a while - he lived in Cheshire for a few years then moved back to Bordaux. Shortly after he went back he took his bike into le marchand de velo local for summat and they were horrified at the state of his wheels. When the local Mavic rep saw them he said that it was not acceptable to have a pair of their wheels looking like that so they gave him a new pair for free. They wanted to know how in hell his wheels had ended up in that state, so he told them just riding round the Peak District in winter.

Ah, well, that's yer exotic carbon hoops for you. I've always relied on Mavic ksyrium elite, or open pro rims & the like mainly so it's all traditional materials and fairly bombproof.
We had a French chap in our club for a while - he lived in Cheshire for a few years then moved back to Bordaux. Shortly after he went back he took his bike into le marchand de velo local for summat and they were horrified at the state of his wheels. When the local Mavic rep saw them he said that it was not acceptable to have a pair of their wheels looking like that so they gave him a new pair for free. They wanted to know how in hell his wheels had ended up in that state, so he told them just riding round the Peak District in winter.

On another topic...have you heard of Ian Moore ( Port Sunlight wheelers) in the late 70’s ?

Work with his daughter. She was saying he was a canny cyclist. Turns out better than just canny ( podium at National Hill TT etc)

Your neck of the woods and possible era ( soz if that’s a bit cheeky :lol:)

What would we do without Ebay. My latest bit of bling.

Italian shite

Back