2019 Cycling thread

On another topic...have you heard of Ian Moore ( Port Sunlight wheelers) in the late 70’s ?

Work with his daughter. She was saying he was a canny cyclist. Turns out better than just canny ( podium at National Hill TT etc)

Your neck of the woods and possible era ( soz if that’s a bit cheeky :lol:)

Italian shite

Once you go Campag you can never go back :cool:

Ah, well, that's yer exotic carbon hoops for you. I've always relied on Mavic ksyrium elite, or open pro rims & the like mainly so it's all traditional materials and fairly bombproof.
We had a French chap in our club for a while - he lived in Cheshire for a few years then moved back to Bordaux. Shortly after he went back he took his bike into le marchand de velo local for summat and they were horrified at the state of his wheels. When the local Mavic rep saw them he said that it was not acceptable to have a pair of their wheels looking like that so they gave him a new pair for free. They wanted to know how in hell his wheels had ended up in that state, so he told them just riding round the Peak District in winter.

Thank heavens for Zwift and winter turbo training, our roads are so heavily salted throughout winter.

eBay hunting for an early Aluminium cannondale, 9 speed Dura ace group set, FSA cranks and a pair of mavic ksyrium SL wheels. Oh and USE finishing kit... Gilberto Simoni style!

Not necessarily an expectation with carbon wheels though, I’ve always had good luck with them up until the boras. I had a pair of Zipp 303s and had zero issue with them whatsoever. They were 3 years old and many thousands of miles in when I sold them.

Mavics were Ksyrium SLs, a pair of elites and then some ES’s, the ES’s were magnificent wheels. Best value wheels I’ve ever had.

The other bike has carbon wheels too, this time without spoke nipples, the spokes are moulded into the rims directly and they are just other worldly. Ive never seen a set of wheels spin up so fast. Perpetual motion machines.

Last edited:
What would we do without Ebay. My latest bit of bling.
Logon or register to see this image

i keep almost pushing the button on ebay on 11 speed triple campy shifters which are so much cheaper than shimano

but then i realise that unless i get a shiftmate i'll be having to fork out stupid amounts for a campy rd, campy cassette and campy wheels

On another topic...have you heard of Ian Moore ( Port Sunlight wheelers) in the late 70’s ?

Work with his daughter. She was saying he was a canny cyclist. Turns out better than just canny ( podium at National Hill TT etc)

Your neck of the woods and possible era ( soz if that’s a bit cheeky :lol:)

Italian shite

I've no doubt I know guys who will know him.

Seeing as I know you will appreciate it here's another piece of Italian bling. The wife caught me coming home with this last week. She fixed me with one of them looks. "How f***ing much did that cost?" She said. I said "but look - it's really shiny".
[/URL]

i keep almost pushing the button on ebay on 11 speed triple campy shifters which are so much cheaper than shimano

but then i realise that unless i get a shiftmate i'll be having to fork out stupid amounts for a campy rd, campy cassette and campy wheels

Do it! Campag is ergonomically perfect, everything else is just functional.

I do like SRAM mind, battery setup is better.
Shimano seem to have been left behind this last few years.

Once you go Campag you can never go back :cool:

Thank heavens for Zwift and winter turbo training, our roads are so heavily salted throughout winter.

eBay hunting for an early Aluminium cannondale, 9 speed Dura ace group set, FSA cranks and a pair of mavic ksyrium SL wheels. Oh and USE finishing kit... Gilberto Simoni style!

Not necessarily an expectation with carbon wheels though, I’ve always had good luck with them up until the boras. I had a pair of Zipp 303s and had zero issue with them whatsoever. They were 3 years old and many thousands of miles in when I sold them.

Mavics were Ksyrium SLs, a pair of elites and then some ES’s, the ES’s were magnificent wheels. Best value wheels I’ve ever had.

The other bike has carbon wheels too, this time without spoke nipples, the spokes are moulded into the rims directly and they are just other worldly. Ive never seen a set of wheels spin up so fast. Perpetual motion machines.

Never happen
Very much a Shimano man.
Even when speaking to people who run Campag, they suggest it's the mid/lower mid groupsets where Shimano outdo that Italian mob
:lol:

I've no doubt I know guys who will know him.

Seeing as I know you will appreciate it here's another piece of Italian bling. The wife caught me coming home with this last week. She fixed me with one of them looks. "How f***ing much did that cost?" She said. I said "but look - it's really shiny".
[/URL]

But all new cassettes are shiny and fancy looking :lol:

get a £20 Tiagra cassette and it looks lovely ;)

Last edited:
But all new cassettes are shiny and fancy looking :lol:

get a £20 Tiagra cassette and it looks lovely ;)

Oh but the picture can't convey the sensual sheen on the surface of the alloy, or the erotic frisson you get when you hold it in your hand and realise how light it is, run your fingers over the asymmetric gear tooth profiles... And then you get to slide it home on to a lightly greased hub, twiddle the lockring into place, nice and tight.
But then you probably get someone else to do that for you :)

Oh but the picture can't convey the sensual sheen on the surface of the alloy, or the erotic frisson you get when you hold it in your hand and realise how light it is, run your fingers over the asymmetric gear tooth profiles... And then you get to slide it home on to a lightly greased hub, twiddle the lockring into place, nice and tight.
But then you probably get someone else to do that for you :)

haway man even I can change cassettes and chains etc....not THAT useless.

Got a cheap ultrasonic ( meant for jewellry etc) cleaner which, when filled with degreaser brings cassettes back to that fresh out of a box look.

Here is a pic of Ian Moore. Really captures what hill TT's must be like( I happily dodged them )

cycling archives on Twitter

I wouldn't do a tt up Winnats. I love riding up there but I'm happy if I can just get up the fucker without getting into distress. Actually riding up there is one of the next targets I have on my recovery path. Not going to tell my cardiologist though but.

And the sandies' own Joe Waugh at the same event.
cycling archives on Twitter

Last edited:
Binned it yesterday. Clipped by à car and bailed onto pavement. Some nice gravel rash down my left hand side.

oh man that's f***ing horrible. Was it just a close pass or some other circumstances?

You forgot to provide a report on the condition of the bike.

oh man that's f***ing horrible. Was it just a close pass or some other circumstances?

You forgot to provide a report on the condition of the bike.
Came across me moving over to avoid a traffic island. Felt like I was at risk so just bailed rather than waiting more.

Bar tape bit messed up. Was the steel fixie so hard to do any damage to that tank.

Binned it yesterday. Clipped by à car and bailed onto pavement. Some nice gravel rash down my left hand side.
Going out with the gopro on today- had two near misses with left-hookers this week. Idiots man-why can't they wait 5 seconds?

Going out with the gopro on today- had two near misses with left-hookers this week. Idiots man-why can't they wait 5 seconds?
Still thinking about the go pro thing. That guy would have been maybe 2 seconds slower had he dabbed the brake and waited for me to clear the narrower bit of road.

Still thinking about the go pro thing. That guy would have been maybe 2 seconds slower had he dabbed the brake and waited for me to clear the narrower bit of road.
I was doing 25mph down the bank past Morrisons, Doxford Park, bloke pulls past me -I thought 'Surely he's not turning in' then he dives left, on two wheels virtually, into the entrance to Morrisons; I had to swerve to miss his rear quarter. They couldn't give a F***!

Its worrying like. I do about 60% of my riding offroad. Just dog walkers to avoid, but i'm unlikely to be killed by them.
And the onroad riding i do is as much as possible on quiet roads. I've seen some peoples rides on strava, and busy roads form a sizeable chunk of their ride.

I was doing 25mph down the bank past Morrisons, Doxford Park, bloke pulls past me -I thought 'Surely he's not turning in' then he dives left, on two wheels virtually, into the entrance to Morrisons; I had to swerve to miss his rear quarter. They couldn't give a F***!
Spidey senses let me do wn on that occasion. I'm usually conscious of stuff like that. Amazing how many times the left turn brigade pass you then swing back left.

Its worrying like. I do about 60% of my riding offroad. Just dog walkers to avoid, but i'm unlikely to be killed by them.
And the onroad riding i do is as much as possible on quiet roads. I've seen some peoples rides on strava, and busy roads form a sizeable chunk of their ride.

I go on busy ish roads, but not at busy times.
Wouldn’t dream of riding the 690 etc at rush hours etc

Mind just as many arsehole drivers on quiet roads.

Shit drivers are shit regardless I tend to find

I would, and have in the past, followed him in. Doesn't half unnerve them when I do.

Back