2019 Cycling thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Been using Zwift over the winter, 4 weeks ago did an ftp test which I've improved on, using their training plans. Went out yesterday and it's made a canny difference. 33 mile 2000ft of climbing, headwinds under 2 hours, if I can get under 200 pounds, I'll be flying come the summer. Anyone else using Zwift?

Only ever ridden HT MTB. Got a 29er at the moment and ride fairly regularly, 50-70 mile, 3-3500 ft week let's say Looking at Strava, a relatively unfit mate who's just started riding, but on a road bike, has beaten me on a sh@t load of my times on segments. Granted mainly flat or downhill ... nothing with elevation.

This got me wondering, over he same route (on tarmac), what difference in relative times would you expect to see on a road bike versus a MTB. Just wondering if anyone has experience of both. Realise it's a fairly silly comparison with lots of variables.

Last edited:
Could anyone recommend a budget cyclo cross bike. I want to do a bit of road riding but sometimes I'll go on woodland trails with the kids. Halford have a couple round the 500 mark but there doesn't seem much else out there. sorry if this is the wrong thread for this.

Only ever ridden HT MTB. Got a 29er at the moment and ride fairly regularly, 50-70 mile, 3-3500 ft week let's say Looking at Strava, a relatively unfit mate who's just started riding, but on a road bike, has beaten me on a sh@t load of my times on segments. Granted mainly flat or downhill ... nothing with elevation.

This got me wondering, over he same route (on tarmac), what difference in relative times would you expect to see on a road bike versus a MTB. Just wondering if anyone has experience of both. Realise it's a fairly silly comparison with lots of variables.
Huge difference.

I run 28s on my hybrid and the difference between that and my road bike is still a fair bit. On average 5/6km per hour.
Will be a canny bit more in comparison to a hardtail.

I'd say if you're getting average speeds of about 11/12 mph on the 29er you'd be getting 14-15 on a road bike

Been using Zwift over the winter, 4 weeks ago did an ftp test which I've improved on, using their training plans. Went out yesterday and it's made a canny difference. 33 mile 2000ft of climbing, headwinds under 2 hours, if I can get under 200 pounds, I'll be flying come the summer. Anyone else using Zwift?

Been wondering about getting it, but my turbo is not that smart. I could probably get interested in it if i didn't have to keep changing the road bike tyre to a training tyre. I can see the attraction.

Could anyone recommend a budget cyclo cross bike. I want to do a bit of road riding but sometimes I'll go on woodland trails with the kids. Halford have a couple round the 500 mark but there doesn't seem much else out there. sorry if this is the wrong thread for this.

What height are you, or what size bike you looking for ?

Last edited:

I've just compared some sections of the Beast in 2014 (which i did on my roadbike) and 2015 (which i did on my MTB)

i was 30 minutes faster on my roadie on the 33 mile Sniperley to Tow Law segment, 6 minutes faster on the 3.2 mile Charlaw fell full segment but only 15 mins faster on Tow Law back to the finish on the roadbike (which i put down to being much more confident on the disc brakes of my MTB)

overall about 2-3 mph faster on my roadie

Been wondering about getting it, but my turbo is not that smart. I could probably get interested in it if i didn't have to keep changing the road bike tyre to a training tyre. I can see the attraction.

What height are you, or what size bike you looking for ?
Yeah, I’ve got the summer bike set up on the smart trainer. It’s been handy over the winter had some really tough workouts on it. I’ll probably stop the subscription this month.

Servicing question: do it yourself or pay someone to do it?
I’ve used Darke’s in the past, but I was thinking of using Carlo’s at Herrington Burn. Anyone used him?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I’ve got the summer bike set up on the smart trainer. It’s been handy over the winter had some really tough workouts on it. I’ll probably stop the subscription this month.

I’ve used Darke’s in the past, but I was thinking of using Carlo’s at Herrington Burn. Anyone used him?

Cycleworld if not doing it yourself....

Thanks for the feedback ... I average about 11mph and try to do around at least 700ft per 10 miles. Average ride aroun 40miles.

All the ubers seem to leave me in the dust. Guess I need to loose a few pounds. 6' and 15st 10Ib at the moment.

Cheers

Last edited:

You've just talked me out of it.
I'm crap at anything but the simplest of things, so i get it done by Skinny mick, (tin hat on) westgate rd. Been good the 3-4 times i've used him.

Carl is class imo.

Anyone watching Flanders today?

Got a stinking hangover after Rochdale then a gig last night, so going to sit on my fat arse and watch most of it today.

Had a few quid on a couple of riders to make it interesting too. Van Avarmaet, Matthews, Kristoff and Valverde.

Van Der Poel at 11/1 and Sagan at 8/1 are my picks but I don’t really think either will do it. Set my alarm for 7am to watch it, will see how they fare.

Van Der Poel at 11/1 and Sagan at 8/1 are my picks but I don’t really think either will do it. Set my alarm for 7am to watch it, will see how they fare.

Been saying all week that Sagan is in shite form, and has no chance. So he's nailed on to win it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back