wayne rooney greatest england goalscorer in history?

• Thread starter stephen cartwright
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
tbf Rooney hasn't always played as a striker and the International teams in the 50's and 60's could be a mixed bag. I remember England hammering Turkey by a cricket score in the 80's, never happen now.
Some people seem to forget that back in the day some teams were shocking and would often get beat 5-0 plus. Don't that let interfere with bashing Rooney though ;)

Aye, suppose so. It would take some time to anaylse all the goals and opposition etc. If Rooney is the greatest English goalscorer ever though that is disapointing.
I wonder how he would rank against the others with assists as he's a very good team player too

I can only look at strikers from the time I've been watching England but over the last 30 years there's only one I'd depend on scoring when it counts, no matter the opposition and that's Lineker
Yep, will never forget that hatrick against the poles

Do you think the same of Rooney?

When you look at
Nat Lofthouse 30/33
Jimmy Greaves 44/57
Gary Lineker 48/80
Michael Owen 40/89
Then Wayne Rooney with 48/105, it's fair to say he isn't the greatest English striker of all time. That's even before you consider some of the teams he plays against. (Which isn't his fault)

Yep, a lot more better teams now.
San Marino
Estonia
Liechtenstein
Latvia
Lithuania
Gibraltar
Belarus
Andorra
Moldova

England must have played a load of friendlies during Charlton's time as we had no world cup qualifiers for 66 or 70.

after he scores two more, he is above bobby charlton.

should he be ranked the greatest ever for england?
Fuck no, Charlton has a world cup winners medal under his belt, that's the only stats you need. Shrek shouldn't have played for england again after heckling the fans who were rightly voicing their displeasure after wasting thousands watching that shower of shite. Horrible little turd....

No! wasnt Charlton a midfielder?..I wonder if they could segregate the goals out so only ones scored in qualification and tournaments not meaningless friendlies against pub teams........Stats are stats and he deserves the accolode the numbers imbue but he aint the greatest in my book! Charlton as a midfielder fekkin brillient but in my mind Jimmy Greaves was the best goalscorer for england and in this case the numbers do lie!
chk earlier in the thread for a chart showing the comparison

This is from last year so Rooney has scored at least 2 more in competitive games.

Logon or register to see this image
her great stuff

When you look at
Nat Lofthouse 30/33
Jimmy Greaves 44/57
Gary Lineker 48/80
Michael Owen 40/89
Then Wayne Rooney with 48/105, it's fair to say he isn't the greatest English striker of all time. That's even before you consider some of the teams he plays against. (Which isn't his fault)

Football has changed alot since Lofthouse, unless your name is Messi or Ronaldo you're not getting 30 goals in 33 games. Also Rooney isn't even an out-and-out number 9.

It would have to be Jimmy Greaves for me. It'd be interesting to see a table of goals scored against minutes the pitch. Peter Crouch would move up the table a bit, given the times he's scored coming off the bench.

I honestly he hope he gets injured and can't play.... Rooney has always been overrated for me....!

rooney will probably end on 60 plus goals.

is there a chance his record will be broken? i doubt it

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/teamgoals/Goals_10-49.html

minutes per goal is a far better benchmark than actual caps..............
It would have to be Jimmy Greaves for me. It'd be interesting to see a table of goals scored against minutes the pitch. Peter Crouch would move up the table a bit, given the times he's scored coming off the bench.

Football has changed alot since Lofthouse, unless your name is Messi or Ronaldo you're not getting 30 goals in 33 games. Also Rooney isn't even an out-and-out number 9.
Yes you're right. International football was a bit more difficult in the days of Greaves and Lineker. If you are going to consider rooney as the best England striker of all time than Lofthouse has to be too.

You can see a similar thing with United fans on Twitter - most of them don't seem to like Rooney, despite it all.

Maybe it's because of the type of player he is - neither a ruthless finisher or especially technically gifted. That means he compares unfavourably to the likes of Lineker / Greaves as a striker, and also to Charlton / Gazza as great players to watch.

The Ronnie Keane comparison is a good one - he's another player that isn't as well loved as his record should make him. Both have achieved brilliant stats in really awful teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back