wayne rooney greatest england goalscorer in history?

• Thread starter stephen cartwright
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby Charlton had more influence on the game than Rooney has had. On the really big stage he performed. Both goals in a World Cup semi final victory. When Wayne has come even close to that then maybe compare.

rooney will probably end on 60 plus goals.

is there a chance his record will be broken? i doubt it

Course it will. Another 'brand' superstar will come along who can't be dropped regardless of form sooner rather than later, and there'll be more and more games against more and more Mexican roadsweepers.

It would be a yes for me. I imagine that there was some shit teams in the 60's as well in mainly uncompetitive games. He's played the games in front of him and scored the goals in what is quite a poor team now.

If you're talking the art of finishing then it's no contest Greaves is way ahead of the rest he was simply a genius.
You could pull him up on his tournament record I suppose 1 goal in '62 and obviously got injured in '66.

England used to play about 6-7 games a season. Now they play 14-16 and more if its a tournament year (3 more usually;)). No wonder most the top goalscorers and appearance holders are from the modern era.

This. I'm sure of Charlton had had the chance to fill his boots against San Marino, Shitkazia and the Democratic Village of Fucknows he'd have been a damn sight further on.

If you're talking the art of finishing then it's no contest Greaves is way ahead of the rest he was simply a genius.
You could pull him up on his tournament record I suppose 1 goal in '62 and obviously got injured in '66.

He was fit by the semi final but Ramset stuck with hurst. Not a bad decision in retrospect.

But yes Greaves was a better striker.

I may be wrong here but back in those days weplayed far fewer really weak international teams..a lot of the ones making up the numbers these days didnt seem to play in top tournamnets..England played proper teams, not the likes of Gibralter and such. At least that's the impression for me. And those weaklings..much easier to fill the net against

He was fit by the semi final but Ramset stuck with hurst. Not a bad decision in retrospect.

I may be wrong here but back in those days weplayed far fewer really weak international teams..a lot of the ones making up the numbers these days didnt seem to play in top tournamnets..England played proper teams, not the likes of Gibralter and such. At least that's the impression for me. And those weaklings..much easier to fill the net against
Think you will find they played as much crap mate.............a lot of Charltons goals were friendlies and against the might of the home nations on a regular basis.We obviously played no WC qualifiers in 66 and 70..

You can argue both its just football is different these days in terms of number of teams and tournaments..

There wasn't the weaker opposition that there's around now,but there was less qualifying games.
To me he's streets ahead of any other striker i've seen for England.

This. I'm sure of Charlton had had the chance to fill his boots against San Marino, Shitkazia and the Democratic Village of Fucknows he'd have been a damn sight further on.

I don't think it's quite as simple as that. We had a very good team in an era before international football went up a level thanks to the likes of Germany, Holland and Brazil in the 70s. Then we had an era of chopping changing and failing to maximise our talent at international level while other countries were making the aforementioned step up. Now we've got a lesser team overall for various reasons but I would argue that it's harder to score against decent teams than it used to be.

after he scores two more, he is above bobby charlton.

should he be ranked the greatest ever for england?
As the saying goes, is he a great goal scorer or a scorer of great goals?. Rooney is a mixture of both really but, Im old school and, I think Greavsie was better/ the best up to now.

That depends on wether you class home international matches as a tournament. They played them every year and, if you are old enough you will know that there was no love lost in those matches. greaves scored quite a few ( not sure how many) in those games.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back