wayne rooney greatest england goalscorer in history?

• Thread starter stephen cartwright
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jimmy greaves by a mile but folk really need to look at minutes per goal posted way Earlier in the thread...
Owen scored alk bar 5 of his 40 by the age of 25.

Haway man I wasn't even born when Greaves was playing :lol:

I don't remember him just know his stats
.every domestic goal in the top flight and more at that level than anyone else

Great goalscorer and best goals per game ratio for England out of the contenders but when you see who they were against and the number of friendlies it makes the argument about Rooney getting a few against poor teams rather comical

Well based on goals to games I'd say Lineker - he didn't seem to let the occasion get to him at tournaments for instance.

Owen could have been the greatest of all time but injuries destroyed him really.

I know they are hugely important (and Rooney does have the most) but its more than just the number of goals - longevity, number of caps, assists & what else they give the team are important. Lineker did score goals but didnt do a huge amount else. not sure how many assists he got & he didnt tackle back much - there's a reason why he never got a yellow card in his entire career

Last edited:
So in 12 years Rooney has never been droppable? Okay mate, not really much point continuing.

As for comparing him to a player often criticised for not turning up for his country, well done for that. And for using the term 'shit' like anyone is even remotely suggesting that, well played.

Oh, and you've continued to do it at the end of your post. Top work.

No he hasn't, because there's been nobody to come close to him. Even when he's had runs of shit form, he's still miles better than anyone else. You said yourself, for basically the first 10 years of his England career the only person you could suggest could take his spot is Defoe. And in all fairness, Defoe has never been near Rooneys level, and never done that great for England - he was canny, but nothing more.

Who's criticised for not turning up? Ronaldo? Wtf, he's bagged shitloads too, but he'll never win anything or achieve anything with them because his team mates are shit.

Switch the argument to another player then. Was Bergkamp not that good? Never won anything at international level.

You've ignored half my post to try and belittle me. Answer my points. Are the players I listed all not that great because they've never won anything?

By your definition, btw, Per Mertesacker is a better defender than Paolo Maldini or Franco Baresi.

No he hasn't, because there's been nobody to come close to him. Even when he's had runs of shit form, he's still miles better than anyone else. You said yourself, for basically the first 10 years of his England career the only person you could suggest could take his spot is Defoe. And in all fairness, Defoe has never been near Rooneys level, and never done that great for England - he was canny, but nothing more.

Who's criticised for not turning up? Ronaldo? Wtf, he's bagged shitloads too, but he'll never win anything or achieve anything with them because his team mates are shit.

Switch the argument to another player then. Was Bergkamp not that good? Never won anything at international level.

You've ignored half my post to try and belittle me. Answer my points. Are the players I listed all not that great because they've never won anything?

By your definition, btw, Per Mertesacker is a better defender than Paolo Maldini or Franco Baresi.

I didn't say Defoe was the only person in the first ten years, he's just an example I provided off the top of my head. I don't know how many times I need to point this out to you, but I'm not talking about other random players that you seemingly can't help but bring up, I'm talking about Rooney.

Your previous post was hyperbolic nonsense and this isn't much better. When I get time (maybe this evening) I'll have a look through your list of players but I'm pretty sure they'll either have had influential tournaments or have been criticised for not turning up when it matters. When people start brining up Messi for example you know it's pretty much pointless continuing the debate.

Lad I work with "Shame he was handed the goal on a plate to break the record with the penalty" :oops:

Had to say "On a plate I wonder if Gary Lineker would agree" :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back