Rodwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gomez is horrendous, no matter what Rodwell ' s issues may or may not be, if he's fit he should be getting picked and it will come together from there.

Huddlestone is banned
Either I wasn't watching closely enough or he wasn't playing but I never noticed Livermore against Swansea.
Gaston Ramirez seemed to be their main midfield focus. Nice touches but no bottle

Gomez is horrendous, no matter what Rodwell ' s issues may or may not be, if he's fit he should be getting picked and it will come together from there.
Why, because he was
free,
from the c'ship,
doesn't do crunching tackles,
doesn't run around at a million miles per hour
There seems to be a small but noisy hard core that hold the lad in utter disdain.
I feel it's because they made their mind up before he arrived and they don't want to lose face admitting he's not that bad after all

I agree but they've hardly been consistent performers. If Roswell shows even a small amount of nouse he will be an improvement.
Sorry but I disagree. Bridcutt gets better with every game. Gomez too is getting stronger and stronger. Both very underrated.

Looks like an expensive Tommy Miller. Typical Sunderland really, we have 10m to spend on a good player and we get one who cant even break into our midfield. Laughable how many bad signings we make. That 10m should have gone on a decent striker or left winger, could have been the difference in the high amount of draws we have had.
Easy to say in hindsight, but we signed Alvarez and have Giaccerini. We have Fletcher, Wickham and Altidore. It's very easy to understand why the club thought that between those players and others, we had those positions covered and needed a quality centre mid to replace the gaps Ki and Colback left in the squad.

Why, because he was
free,
from the c'ship,
doesn't do crunching tackles,
doesn't run around at a million miles per hour
There seems to be a small but noisy hard core that hold the lad in utter disdain.
I feel it's because they made their mind up before he arrived and they don't want to lose face admitting he's not that bad after
Frankly, I love the idea of us picking up high performing players from the lower leagues and having them fill gaps in the squad. I think we should be doing more of it. When he signed, I thought it would be a decent addition and add a bit of cover.

However, having now seen him play for us,I just think Gomez offers nothing at all and is often detrimental going forward. Ok, his first touch isnt bad, but as you say,he doesn't offer much defensively, he seems slow on the turn (or not quick enough mentally)and generally lacking quality in the final third.

If his name was Smith, I don't think he'd be anywhere near the first team.

Last edited:
Thought he was totally overrated at Everton and shite when he actually played at Man City, disappointed we had £10 million to spend on a player in the summer and opted for him.

Hasn't even met my fairly low expectations in a Sunderland shirt yet. Can't imagine what all the people who were excited when he signed must be feeling.

Then again he was part of the 14 that just beat the mags in the last minute so FUCKINGERRINRODDERSLAD

I don't think too much about Gomez either way, just an average player who keeps things ticking over. Like Vaughan when he was in the first team and Colback for like 95% of his time here. Nothing necessarily wrong with that. He fits our style of play pretty well, but besides that his only defining characteristic is "dives a lot."

For that kind of money, Rodwell has to displace that kind of player on merit and he hasn't yet.

Looks like he was spotted due to his athleticism first, footballing ability second. To use a huge proportion of our transfer budget on a punt is criminal, especially when there were requirements elsewhere.

Jesus. A handful of games for us an he's being written off? SMB at its best as always......

I suppose you have to take into account the lack of footballing knowledge on here as this was of course the same board that labelled both Carrick and Milner as "shite" when they were linked with us a few season back.

Rodwell will come good, he needs time to adapt - he's gone from playing (or watching) with world class players in a team that plays an expansive, possession based brand of football where each player, when in possession of the ball has at least 2 willing runners and another 2 out balls to a team full of average prem players lacking in quality in a team that sets itself up not to lose as a priority....

I just don't think he is a particularly good player, scandalous that we went for him instead of Ki.

Who would buy him now though? Our best hope would be sending him on loan somewhere in the hope he hits a bit of form and we can sell for 3-4 million.

From experience i fully understand what match fitness is at this level and it's very hard to replicate in training. No matter how hard you think you're training and how fit you believe yourself to be it still comes as a shock to the system.
That said, once your core fitness is there it should only take half a dozen games and a bit of determination.
I'm starting to think the same as you. Is his "fitness" already up to scratch but his body isn't quite? He just seems off the pace.

What experience?

He is being kept out of the team (and rightly so) by Larsson's form. The way I envisioned it our midfield was supposed to be Catts/Bridcutt, Rodwell/Larsson, Alvarez/Gomez, with Larsson's form and Alvarez' injury Gomez got his chance. Bit harsh to drop either right now - its up to Rodwell and Alvarez to earn their starting place.

I just don't think Rodwell has ever justified the early hype at Everton as a youth. He played for England off the back of that and some reasonable form for a while. He has many of the attributes you would expect from a modern central midfielder except the actual ability to translate it into performances. Yeah he's probably lacking confidence too, but we aren't even playing him (when we do) in the positions he's used to playing in and tbh he doesn't deserve to be anyway. I'd love him to prove me wrong and he might contribute here, but we've vastly overpaid for him.

Won't displace Seb or Lee but could easily displace Bridcutt or Gomez. Where Giacc fits in I'm not so sure.
i would have him in the team rather than Gomez who stroll,s about the pitch doing nothing.The rest of the team may aswell cover for Rodwell and help get him fit than a lazy Gomez

He is being kept out of the team (and rightly so) by Larsson's form. The way I envisioned it our midfield was supposed to be Catts/Bridcutt, Rodwell/Larsson, Alvarez/Gomez, with Larsson's form and Alvarez' injury Gomez got his chance. Bit harsh to drop either right now - its up to Rodwell and Alvarez to earn their starting place.

Alvarez won't play anywhere but on the wing/wide roles. I think we've seen enough so far from Gus' line ups and sub appearances from Alvarez this season and Giacherini last (barring a couple of cup games and a couple of subs) that Gus won't give the kind of licence they would demand to players of that ilk and his central midfield pair ahead of Cattermole have to give the team a bit more in terms of working back. Not saying I agree, just that it's obvious.

i would have him in the team rather than Gomez who stroll,s about the pitch doing nothing.The rest of the team may aswell cover for Rodwell and help get him fit than a lazy Gomez

Gomez isn't lazy IMO. He has his faults, but he can actually carry the ball and play the odd pass, even if people are being more vocal with their criticisms because of his finishing at the weekend. My mains gripe about him is he's weak as piss and looks to go down far too easily.

Alvarez won't play anywhere but on the wing/wide roles. I think we've seen enough so far from Gus' line ups and sub appearances from Alvarez this season and Giacherini last (barring a couple of cup games and a couple of subs) that Gus won't give the kind of licence they would demand to players of that ilk and his central midfield pair ahead of Cattermole have to give the team a bit more in terms of working back. Not saying I agree, just that it's obvious.

Gomez isn't lazy IMO. He has his faults, but he can actually carry the ball and play the odd pass, even if people are being more vocal with their criticisms because of his finishing at the weekend. My mains gripe about him is he's weak as piss and looks to go down far too easily.

single speed player not quick enough and as you say yourself hits the deck far to easily,he should be carrying the ball greater distances as AJ did the weekend.

Its called confidence. Playing in a side that wins brings confidence - he's not been doing that.

He's also been asked to pplay a role that doesn't suit his strengths so that hasn't allowed him familiarity to develop confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back