Racism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I consider offence to be something I take if someone is abusing/ criticising me, I don't get offended on behalf of others so no, offended would be the wrong word. I'd think the people singing were arseholes but I wouldn't be offended, and I wouldn't bother to have a word with them and all that, I'd just think "arseholes" and get on with whatever I was doing
So pretty much like me then. @chunkylover53 will be along soon to tell you to have a look at yourself now mind so be on guard.

So pretty much like me then. @chunkylover53 will be along soon to tell you to have a look at yourself now mind so be on guard.

He'll probably just say hair!

Mind, I would find it more unacceptable if the people were abusing a black lad (or a disabled person), as opposed to just singing daft songs when the "target" isn't there to hear it. I'd have a word then. I still wouldn't take offence personally, but I'd know it's f***ing out of order.

He'll probably just say hair!

Mind, I would find it more unacceptable if the people were abusing a black lad (or a disabled person), as opposed to just singing daft songs when the "target" isn't there to hear it. I'd have a word then. I still wouldn't take offence personally, but I'd know it's f***ing out of order.
Again though I think its context. If someone is saying words in an aggressive manner to someone regardless of what's being said I think you'd feel compelled to have a word. For me more so if it was someone disabled/mentally handicapped than if black I have to say.

It isn't but if one comments discriminatory then surely the other is? I don't find either offensive by the way and wouldn't batter an eyelid if I heard either.
Yes both are and should never be used. And really you should bat an eyelid. By not doing anything you are complicit and I'm sure you'd never see yourself as racist. If you saw someone robbing a shop or stealing a car would you just shrug your shoulders or would you do your civic duty and call the police?. Yes I know that's extreme but it's about drawing the line somewhere.

Bugger off

Most of the board think you're a tit
Self appointed SMB spokesperson now are we. Have a like.

Yes both are and should never be used. And really you should bat an eyelid. By not doing anything you are complicit and I'm sure you'd never see yourself as racist. If you saw someone robbing a shop or stealing a car would you just shrug your shoulders or would you do your civic duty and call the police?. Yes I know that's extreme but it's about drawing the line somewhere.
I think that's an utterly ridiculous comparison personally. Name calling is just words, dear me if I took offence at everything that gets said to me on here I'd need 24/7 counselling! I think we live in a very soft society in that people are now just looking for reasons to be offended and outraged. I also notice how racism seems to be something that only seems to cause outrage when the perpetrator is white.

Last edited:

I think that's an utterly ridiculous comparison personally. Name calling is just words, dear me if I took offence at everything that gets said to me on here I'd need 24/7 counselling! I think we live in a very soft society in that people are now just looking for reasons to be offended and outraged. I also notice how racism seems to be something that only seems to cause outrage when the perpetrator is white.

It's not just words tho is it? It's a form of intimidation/bullying

It's not just words tho is it? It's a form of intimidation/bullying
It all depends on how it's said though. Anything can be deemed intimidation/bullying if said in a certain way. I just can't bring myself to be all outraged in the way others are I'm afraid.

Less ethnics in north east than other areas of England is that fair to say? Perhaps this is why it's a little more rife up here. Might be controversial but can't say it's something that massively offends me when I hear it like it seems to do others.
I think it pisses people off because we end up getting tarnished with the same brush ..

It's hard to judge though because unless you are in among other sets of supporters regularly then you won't know.

I have heard quite a few ignorant comments from different fans. Usually white men aged between 40 and about 60. Black this, The N word, i'm sure you can imagine

I've had one or two arguments with fans about it and it's pointless because they just threaten violence. I'd say alcohol is the major problem. Most of these men probably wouldn't dare say anything normally but a few pints and they make the odd comment.

We may have more than the average but to say that we are "Rife" with racism is over the top and bang out of order.

It's hard to judge though because unless you are in among other sets of supporters regularly then you won't know.

I have heard quite a few ignorant comments from different fans. Usually white men aged between 40 and about 60. Black this, The N word, i'm sure you can imagine

I've had one or two arguments with fans about it and it's pointless because they just threaten violence. I'd say alcohol is the major problem. Most of these men probably wouldn't dare say anything normally but a few pints and they make the odd comment.

We may have more than the average but to say that we are "Rife" with racism is over the top and bang out of order.

What's bang out of order to use your term, is racist people who think it perfectly acceptable to spout such garbage in front of Stewards and bar staff who frankly are there making a living and having to listen to people talking in such a way. its offensive to be around and embarrsing

Fair enough, as I mentioned if something specific was heard then I hope those responsible are dealt with, this post just sounded like it was damning our support for something which I imagine is no more prevalent among our fans than it is any other set. Is it "our fans" who are racist or is it an element of all away crowds? I'd imagine it's the latter. That doesn't make it okay of course, but I'd imagine the vast majority who went to West Ham yesterday were perfectly well behaved, the OP makes it sound like the fans were a disgrace with nothing to back it up

Or, is it a desperate attempt at getting replies with a fail-safe?

Is Racism rife throughout our support? No

Are there elements of out support that have racist tendencies? Yes

Is our club worse than others? Probably not.

Some of my ethnic mates have stopped going to away games for all the shit they used to get if we lost. Make of that of what you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back