One Plus 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
They haven't "done it their own way". They've augmented the USB power interface in a backward compatible way so that you can still use standard USB cables, adapters and phones. That is absolutely not what Apple do, eg. their own Bluetooth, their own power/data connector, their own way of transferring music and files (iFT), their own programming language, etc, etc. None of which are compatible with the standard way that everyone else does the same things. Hence the "walled garden" accusation.

Yes they have. But as said already, it is not an issue.

If you want to use their propriety feature, you have to use their propriety cable, no?

Means having a cable lying around in the sitting room, another one in the sleeve with my anker charger, another one lying around in the caravan etc.
Not a massive problem, just a pain. Once the other 2 devices get updated, they'll be USB C too, and this will go away.
Its just an adoption issue, no biggie

Aye that's it really - just a case of building up the collection, or having a little adaptor handy to use when needed.

They haven't "done it their own way". They've augmented the USB power interface in a backward compatible way so that you can still use standard USB cables, adapters and phones. That is absolutely not what Apple do, eg. their own Bluetooth, their own power/data connector, their own way of transferring music and files (iFT), their own programming language, etc, etc. None of which are compatible with the standard way that everyone else does the same things. Hence the "walled garden" accusation..
Sorry, you're missing the (not very important) point.
There is a common version of fast-charge already out there, from the people who make the chis and its open for everyone to use.
Then OPPO/OP created a totally separate one that doesn't work with the Qualcomm one.

That's all, no more no less.

If you want to use their propriety feature, you have to use their propriety cable, no?
EXACTLY THIS

If everyone implemented qualcomm fast charge, you could use it at any place you find a cable. But you can't with the OP3, you will be demoted to slow-charging unless you have OP's exact plug AND cable, which costs about £40 for the pair - meaning most people will only have one.

And that's going to be by your bed probably - which is the one place you don't really need fast-charging.

Note: Its NOT compatible with Qualcomm fast charge, so its NOT a techology IN ADDITION to everything else.

That's the point of following standards - everyone wins.

Means having a cable lying around in the sitting room, another one in the sleeve with my anker charger, another one lying around in the caravan etc.
Not a massive problem, just a pain. Once the other 2 devices get updated, they'll be USB C too, and this will go away.
Its just an adoption issue, no biggie
the oneplus2/3 comes with a USB-C cable all you need for other cables that you already have is the USB micro B to C adapter

EXACTLY THIS

If everyone implemented qualcomm fast charge, you could use it at any place you find a cable. But you can't with the OP3, you will be demoted to slow-charging unless you have OP's exact plug AND cable, which costs about £40 for the pair - meaning most people will only have one.

And that's going to be by your bed probably - which is the one place you don't really need fast-charging.

Note: Its NOT compatible with Qualcomm fast charge, so its NOT a techology IN ADDITION to everything else.

Agreed - Apple are shocking for this. They won't ever change and others are starting to do similar (some Android devices without 3.5mm headphone socket...actually some were done before Apple, OnePlus with this rapid charge thing etc.), but that is also my point which I keep banging on about...as long as there are differences like this, we just get on with it and have a couple of cables, or adaptors etc.

the oneplus2/3 comes with a USB-C cable all you need for other cables that you already have is the USB micro B to C adapter
Depends on the situation.

If I take my dash charger plug away with me, then I need a USB B cable or adapter as well
If I take the standard charger (for the wife's phone and tablet), then I need to take a USB C cable or adapter

Its a pain. But not the end of the world

Sorry, you're missing the (not very important) point.
There is a common version of fast-charge already out there, from the people who make the chis and its open for everyone to use.
Then OPPO/OP created a totally separate one that doesn't work with the Qualcomm one.

That's all, no more no less.
I'm not missing the point at all. Their solution is intended to be substantially better (thermals) than Qualcomm's, not just to be incompatible for the hell of it, while retaining full compatibility with the main important standard (USB).

That is not "Apple like" behaviour all. You said it was.

EXACTLY THIS

You have the option of buying a phone that does that. I have favoured performance/safety over convenience, though the loss of convenience is microscopic given that it only needs charging once every 1.5-2 days.

If Oppo/OP had implemented a new connector type as part of it, I might have agreed with you.

Mind I should also point out that there are half a dozen chipset vendors out there and Qualcomm is just one of them. What they do isn't automatically a standard.

Last edited:
You have the option of buying a phone that does that. I have favoured performance/safety over convenience, though the loss of convenience is microscopic given that it only needs charging once every 1.5-2 days.

If Oppo/OP had implemented a new connector type as part of it, I might have agreed with you.

Mind I should also point out that there are half a dozen chipset vendors out there and Qualcomm is just one of them. What they do isn't automatically a standard.
The op3 isn't designed for more than one days use without a charge, quite a small battery actually

Can't think of any top line phone without a qualcomm chip?

Is this OnePlus 3 dual sim? Nice!

Anyone tried two sims? Used to have nothing but bother in the past with dual sims, anyone tried it?
Yeh, works well.

I'm not missing the point at all. Their solution is intended to be substantially better (thermals) than Qualcomm's, not just to be incompatible for the hell of it, while retaining full compatibility with the main important standard (USB).

That is not "Apple like" behaviour all. You said it was.
I disagree with multiple points you've just raised, but I'm bored with going back and forth now.

Anyone tried two sims? Used to have nothing but bother in the past with dual sims, anyone tried it?
Can't see the 3 being any different than the 2 in that respect and yes it does work well providing theyre both your own Sims(if ones a work sim for example you could end up using works data for personal and vice versa). You can name the cards and specify a preferred card to use for data and calls and calls are labeled whenever they come in.

Can't see the 3 being any different than the 2 in that respect and yes it does work well providing theyre both your own Sims(if ones a work sim for example you could end up using works data for personal and vice versa). You can name the cards and specify a preferred card to use for data and calls and calls are labeled whenever they come in.

People seem excited that they've changed something big compared to OP2. I haven't used dual sim for years, it was never stable and had to manually select sims to make active etc.. assuming that's changed now! :lol:

Edit: think this was the reason, so networks like 3 don't suffer due to having no 2G.

"
To summarise:

• You can connect to any network from any SIM (e.g., can make either SIM a primary one)

• The non-primary SIM can only connect to a 2G GSM network

• If your non-primary operator lacks a 2G GSM network (which are being shutdown worldwide, and some GSMA operators never had any to start with), the non-primary SIM cannot connect to UMTS or LTE, and will thus be getting no signal at all
    "

I had the one. That's now my mams phone as i bought a three when they first came out.

With the one, i was surprised how good it was for the money. With the three, i was just surprised at how good it was, regardless of the cost. Can't fault it.
Dash charge is awesome.

Initial impressions, better than any of the Samsung devices I've owned or used (or any Android phone actually!)

The screen on the S7 edge is brighter, camera on s7 edge is better, but the OP3 is noticeable faster.

The size and feel of the device is nice. Not convinced by the pre installed screen protector, does it hinder the screen quality much? I never put screen protectors on devices.

Going to give the dual sim a go now, could be very handy.

Last edited:
Very slippy! It's slipped out of my pocket twice now when sitting down. Don't really want a case, anyone saw any film type coatings for the back, for extra grip?

Very slippy! It's slipped out of my pocket twice now when sitting down. Don't really want a case, anyone saw any film type coatings for the back, for extra grip?
Can't say I've had a problem. Maybe get a different case back? Bamboo is always nice

Can't say I've had a problem. Maybe get a different case back? Bamboo is always nice

Maybe just these trousers - but slipped out twice today, luckily nee damage!

Are the case backs to replace whats already on, or sit on top? Doesn't seem the c current back is removable.

EDIT: Just checked, looks like the replacement backs are OP2 only, not OP3.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTR
Maybe just these trousers - but slipped out twice today, luckily nee damage!

Are the case backs to replace whats already on, or sit on top? Doesn't seem the c current back is removable.

EDIT: Just checked, looks like the replacement backs are OP2 only, not OP3.

If the screen is as awkward to replace as the OP1 screens good job you haven't damaged it. Just fixed mine for a 2nd time after smashing it twice but still find that the OP1 is still very good compared to most phones on the market. So getting a OP3 will sort of future proof your mobile for at least 3 years looking at the specs

If the screen is as awkward to replace as the OP1 screens good job you haven't damaged it. Just fixed mine for a 2nd time after smashing it twice but still find that the OP1 is still very good compared to most phones on the market. So getting a OP3 will sort of future proof your mobile for at least 3 years looking at the specs

It'll be lucky to last me 3 months mate :lol::oops:

It's a cracking device mind, best Android device I have owned. The camera is gonna let it down, I can tell that already. Other than that,mfinding it hard to fault it really.

Im using a dual sim phone and its spot on. Can recieve calls on both sims and it gives you the option to choose which sim you want to choose each time you make a call. Great idea tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back