One Plus 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

So what negatives does it actually have then? That its only 1080P and no Micro SD, is that basically it?

1080p is not a negative, no need for higher resolution on such a small device.

I don't see no Micro SD as a negative, some would disagree.

The battery life gets some harsh reviews (smaller batter than OnePlus 2 for example) so I need to check that out.

OS - to be Oxygen is unknown, so curious as to how good/bad it is.

Camera - not as good as the one's in more expensive devices.

I'll give it a good whirl over the weekend and see how it handles.

For the lowest contract you only get 500mb data and 500 minutes, it's shit compared to a lot of the sim only deals you can get around
The contract I'm looking at moving to is 250/2000/1Gb and its £5 a month. The O2 "deal" is crazy.
Surely nobody is going to pay £30 a month for a "dodgy chinese phone"? How much are contracts on Huwei

The Oneplus 3 charger/cable have to be different because the technology needs 7 pins between charger and phone. They didn't just do it to intentionally create incompatibility and vendor lock in.

Indeed, they've gone out of their way to maintain compatibility. They haven't invented a new, incompatible socket. You can still charge the phone with a normal USB charger and cable. You can still use their enhanced charger/cable to charge other USB charging devices.

If your precious Apple ever did this type of thing it would indeed be headline news. ;)

I did have a go at the owner of the company on Twitter about this - yes, Dash Charge is class - but it doesn't work with other phones. Qualcomm already have a fast-charge function build into the chipset, so there was no need for Dash Charge.
He did answer me - said "we wanted to make it better". And in fairness, they absolutely did.
By moving the charging "intelligence" to the charger instead of the phone, the phone doesn't heat up at all when charging - so the battery does't take a battering. And its quicker than qualcomms version.

And you can use any charger you like with the OP3, as long as you have a USB-C cable (or a converter, which I do carry on my keyring).

I'm 50/50 on it. It is good, but it does have that "apple" feel about it which is never a good thing

So what negatives does it actually have then? That its only 1080P and no Micro SD, is that basically it?
For the price there's none really. Sd card slots were only needed when phones only had 8-16gb surely and 1080 resolution is enough as you still can't see the pixels

For the price there's none really. Sd card slots were only needed when phones only had 8-16gb surely and 1080 resolution is enough as you still can't see the pixels
Why would anyone need more than 64Gb of storage on a phone??? I use about 10 of mine.

The contract I'm looking at moving to is 250/2000/1Gb and its £5 a month. The O2 "deal" is crazy.
Surely nobody is going to pay £30 a month for a "dodgy chinese phone"? How much are contracts on Huwei

That three deal no good to you mate? Works out 6 quid, for 4GB of data, unlimited mins and texts.

I did have a go at the owner of the company on Twitter about this - yes, Dash Charge is class - but it doesn't work with other phones. Qualcomm already have a fast-charge function build into the chipset, so there was no need for Dash Charge.
He did answer me - said "we wanted to make it better". And in fairness, they absolutely did.
By moving the charging "intelligence" to the charger instead of the phone, the phone doesn't heat up at all when charging - so the battery does't take a battering. And its quicker than qualcomms version.

And you can use any charger you like with the OP3, as long as you have a USB-C cable (or a converter, which I do carry on my keyring).

I'm 50/50 on it. It is good, but it does have that "apple" feel about it which is never a good thing
Apple feel? They're half the price man

Must have missed that?

Here mate - top of the thread, three essential plan. Also a vodafone one with 25GB data for 13 quid! Redemption for this one..but if you can be arsed it's a class deal.

I'm talking solely about the proprietary charging technology mate. Its a very "apple thing" to do.

That was my point above. Apple would have (and do) been slated for anything even similar.

dont see the problem

There isn't a problem.

He's just saying that Apple do stuff like this, go away from industry standard and use their own connection, so it was a very Apple thing to do.

There is absolutely zero problem, it won't cause anyone issues, but people will still whinge.

There isn't a problem.
He's just saying that Apple do stuff like this, go away from industry standard and use their own connection, so it was a very Apple thing to do.
There is absolutely zero problem, it won't cause anyone issues, but people will still whinge.
I'd rather everyone found one way to charge phones in the best possible way - especially as batteries are fairly volatile things, as Samsung have recently found out.
Plus, the fewer chargers, plugs etc that I need to have the better.
That's all I meant by it, its not a major issue.

In truth, the biggest issue has been that its USB-C, and I didn't have a handful of spares like I have for the previous version, so I had to buy a spare cable and a converter (although I got a voucher from OnePlus as an apology for late delivery on my order - even though I got the apology before my delivery date had even passed!)

I'd rather everyone found one way to charge phones in the best possible way - especially as batteries are fairly volatile things, as Samsung have recently found out.
Plus, the fewer chargers, plugs etc that I need to have the better.
That's all I meant by it, its not a major issue.

In truth, the biggest issue has been that its USB-C, and I didn't have a handful of spares like I have for the previous version, so I had to buy a spare cable and a converter (although I got a voucher from OnePlus as an apology for late delivery on my order - even though I got the apology before my delivery date had even passed!)

None of the changes in anything have ever bothered me. It baffles me the mass hysteria when something is done away from the norm.

If that proprietary cable charges as fast as it claims, then I'm happy as larry!

I'm talking solely about the proprietary charging technology mate. Its a very "apple thing" to do.
You're plain wrong there like. Apple do all sorts of proprietary stuff. This isn't proprietary. It still works with other chargers and other phones. Think of it as a car that can run on another fuel, with unique advantages, as well as petrol. You get to choose which best suits you today. You never get that choice with Apple's proprietary shit.

BTW it was said in the Oppo forums that one of the extra wires between charger and battery was a separate charge current, and that the batteries are internally divided in two and charged in parallel as one of the ways to boost speed.

Last edited:
You're plain wrong there like. Apple do all sorts of proprietary stuff. This isn't proprietary. It still works with other chargers and other phones. Think of it as a car that can run on another fuel, with unique advantages, as well as petrol. You get to choose. You never get that choice with Apple's proprietary shit.

BTW it was said in the Oppo forums that one of the extra wires between charger and battery was a separate charge current, and that the batteries are internally divided in two and charged in parallel as one of the ways to boost speed.
You seem to be implying that I'm pro-Apple a bit there mind :lol:

Aye, its not the same, I just said it felt a bit like it.

None of the changes in anything have ever bothered me. It baffles me the mass hysteria when something is done away from the norm.
If that proprietary cable charges as fast as it claims, then I'm happy as larry!
Realistically, as I said, its the change to USB C thats the main issue, as it means the 3 devices in the house need 2 different cables, which is a pain

You seem to be implying that I'm pro-Apple a bit there mind :lol:

Aye, its not the same, I just said it felt a bit like it.

He disagrees with anything Apple, don't worry about it,

Realistically, as I said, its the change to USB C thats the main issue, as it means the 3 devices in the house need 2 different cables, which is a pain

Even that though, is it really a pain? Maybe I just don't get chewed over stuff anymore, but I just get a couple of cables and be done with it.

Anyone tried CM14 yet? Based on Android 7, but expect it to be buggy as hell this early on!

Whats OnePlus like for pushing updates? Quick? Slow?

There isn't a problem.

They haven't "done it their own way". They've augmented the USB power interface in a backward compatible way so that you can still use standard USB cables, adapters and phones. That is absolutely not what Apple do, eg. their own Bluetooth, their own power/data connector, their own way of transferring music and files (iFT), their own programming language, etc, etc. None of which are compatible with the standard way that everyone else does the same things. Hence the "walled garden" accusation.

He disagrees with anything Apple, don't worry about it
I don't at all. I just point out where you aren't telling the truth so that others won't swallow it and waste their hard earned. Unfortunately there's a lot of it.

Even that though, is it really a pain? Maybe I just don't get chewed over stuff anymore, but I just get a couple of cables and be done with it.

Whats OnePlus like for pushing updates? Quick? Slow?

Means having a cable lying around in the sitting room, another one in the sleeve with my anker charger, another one lying around in the caravan etc.
Not a massive problem, just a pain. Once the other 2 devices get updated, they'll be USB C too, and this will go away.
Its just an adoption issue, no biggie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back