Not offside then....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not criticising him for getting it correct. I'm saying he was very lucky he got it correct. If the offside player was stood a foot to the left then he would have been interfering with play. How the linesman could have made that call with any certainty is what I'm questioning. The linesman had two choices, go with what he knew was fact (that there was a player in an offside position) or (guess that he wasn't interfering with play), he went with the guess rather than the certainty. Luckily for him his guess was correct.

All irrelevant anyway, it was offside despite what Moyes says.

Anyone who cant see or admit that it is onside after seeing a freeze frame conforming it beyond any doubt as onside is 'biased and desperate'. With the benefit of technology anyone looking objectively can see that it is 'easily' offside, if you prefer 'clearly' you can have that instead. However you have wasted a lot of time and energy trying to justify nowt:lol:

If that was 'easily' offside, then what adverb would you use if there was a meter between the players?

Anyone being unbiased would say something like 'barely' No need for the exaggeration and mocking tone :lol:

I wish they'd never messed about with the offside rule, even officials don't know when it's on or not with any real certainty at times.

If a player is offside, regardless of whether they are interfering or not, it should be offside, it makes everyone's life much easier.
Can you not remember games under the old rules where all some teams did was play offside? George Grahams Arsenal come to mind. Dreadful to watch as there were endless free kicks and play was compressed into a narrow band of the pitch. OK, interfering with play can sometimes be difficult to get right for referees, but the current rule has made it a better game.

Can you not remember games under the old rules where all some teams did was play offside? George Grahams Arsenal come to mind. Dreadful to watch as there were endless free kicks and play was compressed into a narrow band of the pitch. OK, interfering with play can sometimes be difficult to get right for referees, but the current rule has made it a better game.

Yeah I loved it. The halcyon days.

I'm not criticising him for getting it correct. I'm saying he was very lucky he got it correct. If the offside player was stood a foot to the left then he would have been interfering with play. How the linesman could have made that call with any certainty is what I'm questioning. The linesman had two choices, go with what he knew was fact (that there was a player in an offside position) or (guess that he wasn't interfering with play), he went with the guess rather than the certainty. Luckily for him his guess was correct.

He can't win. Flag and it's the wrong decision, don't flag and he's lucky to get it right.

Logon or register to see this image

As previously stated, Jack Rodwell kept Calleri onside when the ball was played. He is far too slow to react to the clearance, unlike O'Shea who is on the edge of the box! The three players at fault here are Jones, Rodwell and Manquilio who are all far too deep.

For me this has been the story of our season and the reason for our league position, we spend too long chasing the ball and when we have the opportunity to counter (like we should) the lads are knackered. If those three lads push up like they are supposed to that for me makes 5 (yeah you haeard right) FIVE West Ham players offside. Pickford can then take the ball and play our 10 onto their 5 because Payet is in no mans land out on their right flank.
He's offside there. By the letter of the law he is very slightly behind Rodwell.

He's offside there. By the letter of the law he is very slightly behind Rodwell.
IMO it's offside. The other fella should be deemed as 'active' too.

Regardless, if we hadn't sat back and tried to settle for a point, or if we'd been a bit more alert when the corner was conceded it wouldn't be an issue.

He can't win. Flag and it's the wrong decision, don't flag and he's lucky to get it right.
Flagging wouldn't have been the wrong decision as there was a player in an obvious offside position. Then it would have been left to the referee who was in a better position to make the call as to whether that player was interfering with play or not. Working together they should have come to the correct decision, as it were, they got there on a guess by the linesman.

Best post on the thread,the game is miles better now then watching that functional Arsenal side.

Surely we want to see goals and entertainment

He can win, give the decision our way and people will praise him,that's the way it works on here,you know that by now!

Last edited:
Has anyone heard that wanker Keith Hackett on the radio of late? He makes it sound as if he never once made a mistake when he refereed.

We've conceded a lot of goals this season due to not getting out to the ball or picking up players on set pieces.
Not doing the basics? Plenty of areas that is true.

You're spot on. We got lucky not conceding a penalty. O'Shea needs to stop wrestling players in the box for a start. He does it almost every time he's on the pitch. I don't like singling players out but as long as we have players like him we will struggle.
He getting as good as Turner, (rather than Huth), ie obvious and prolonged grabbing, pushing and pulling instead of brief timely interventions.

Last edited:
People saying he's onside don't understand the rules tbh...

He's clearly in an offside position (as can be seen by the fact he's leaning back with his feet inline with rodwell)

He must be interfering with play, since the ball goes towards him, he reacts to it and he's even moving towards the ball...

Flagging wouldn't have been the wrong decision as there was a player in an obvious offside position. Then it would have been left to the referee who was in a better position to make the call as to whether that player was interfering with play or not. Working together they should have come to the correct decision, as it were, they got there on a guess by the linesman.

He wasn't interfering though, hence he wasn't offside. I don't know why you're so sure that the linesman couldn't tell Kouyate wasn't interfering, but the evidence would suggest you're wrong.

The player who was deemed onside was very close to the ball. Kouyate was further up the field. The linesman was able to see this from his position and therefore didn't flag Kouyate.

You're making out as though the linesman wasn't in a position to see what was happening, and to be honest I'm not really sure why.

Best post on the thread,the game is miles better now then watching that functional Arsenal side.

Surely we want to see goals and entertainment

He can win, give the decision our way and people will praise him,that's the way it works on here,you know that by now!

:lol: How silly of me.

;)

Might as well have worn a shirt with " I'm offside" on it and waved an "I'm offside" flag. He was that far offside.

He was so far offside he had come back around again and made himself onside.

And even then he'd drifted back off.

Last edited:

He's clearly in an offside position (as can be seen by the fact he's leaning back with his feet inline with rodwell)

He must be interfering with play, since the ball goes towards him, he reacts to it and he's even moving towards the ball...
In defence of the linesman, I think the west ham player stood on the edge of the box directly in front of him would have obscured his view regarding that particular offside decision. That said, it looks like he had a clear view of the lad that was in an offside position. Just one of those tight calls that could have gone either way at the end of the day.

His feet are ahead of Rodwell's. I don't think there's any doubt he's interfering.

He wasn't interfering though, hence he wasn't offside. I don't know why you're so sure that the linesman couldn't tell Kouyate wasn't interfering, but the evidence would suggest you're wrong.

The player who was deemed onside was very close to the ball. Kouyate was further up the field. The linesman was able to see this from his position and therefore didn't flag Kouyate.

You're making out as though the linesman wasn't in a position to see what was happening, and to be honest I'm not really sure why.

:lol: How silly of me.

;)

He was so far offside he had come back around again and made himself onside.

And even then he'd drifted back off.
To be honest, I'm not really that het up about the decision. Just more as a debating point really. The truth is the linesman's view was being interrupted by the west ham player on the edge of the box to a large extent.

To be honest, I'm not really that het up about the decision. Just more as a debating point really. The truth is the linesman's view was being interrupted by the west ham player on the edge of the box to a large extent.

That it's half a week later, we have a freeze frame and have looked at it several times and still can't be sure is pretty telling. The linesman had one view and made a decision. Either way, he was going to come under scrutiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back