Not offside then....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logon or register to see this image

As previously stated, Jack Rodwell kept Calleri onside when the ball was played. He is far too slow to react to the clearance, unlike O'Shea who is on the edge of the box! The three players at fault here are Jones, Rodwell and Manquilio who are all far too deep.

For me this has been the story of our season and the reason for our league position, we spend too long chasing the ball and when we have the opportunity to counter (like we should) the lads are knackered. If those three lads push up like they are supposed to that for me makes 5 (yeah you haeard right) FIVE West Ham players offside. Pickford can then take the ball and play our 10 onto their 5 because Payet is in no mans land out on their right flank.

Logon or register to see this image

As previously stated, Jack Rodwell kept Calleri onside when the ball was played. He is far too slow to react to the clearance, unlike O'Shea who is on the edge of the box! The three players at fault here are Jones, Rodwell and Manquilio who are all far too deep.

For me this has been the story of our season and the reason for our league position, we spend too long chasing the ball and when we have the opportunity to counter (like we should) the lads are knackered. If those three lads push up like they are supposed to that for me makes 5 (yeah you haeard right) FIVE West Ham players offside. Pickford can then take the ball and play our 10 onto their 5 because Payet is in no mans land out on their right flank.

@DrewC

I assume some people are just on the wind up now saying it was offside.

John Stones was denied a "goal" yesterday as Aguero leaping (but missing) for the cross was deemed as him being "active"......and he was nowhere near reaching it.
It doesn't matter! His attempt at that header is enough to put the keeper off (as he has to react to the possibility he'll reach it), therefore he's interfering and offside. Simple.

It was onside but I reckon the linesman got away with one. Can't see how he could have made the call with any great certainty that the lad that was offside wasn't blocking Pickford's view and therefore interfering with play.
You do realise that if not sure, the linesman doesn't flag, right? So how has he "got away with one"? Either he thought it was onside and didn't flag, or he wasn't sure and errr, didn't flag.

@DrewC

I assume some people are just on the wind up now saying it was offside.
That photo is not totally clear though - its any part of the body (apart from the arms) to be offside and even though his feet on are in an onside position, hes leaning backwards....

From FIFA:
Consideration should be given to any part of the head, body or feet of the attacker in relation to the second last defender, the ball or the halfway line . For the purposes of this decision, the arms are not considered to be part of the body.

Don't blame me, that's the rules!

Last edited:
That photo is not totally clear though - its any part of the body (apart from the arms) to be offside and even though his feet on are in an onside position, hes leaning backwards....

From FIFA:

I do agree with that, in fairness. If it's just an argument about whether the player in question was slightly ahead, level or slightly behind our player then it's probably too close to be certain, and people will see it both ways.

However, some of the arguments don't really stack up, such as Kouyate being offside (irrelevant), the linesman should have put his flag up anyway because he wasn't sure (?) and so on.

Where's @MackemX to give us a detailed frame by frame account?

Reminds me somewhat of the two goals tiote has had given offside - Against City and West Brom. I guess some times it goes for you and others it doesnt.

This one was clearer cut as the lad was in line.

I do agree with that, in fairness. If it's just an argument about whether the player in question was slightly ahead, level or slightly behind our player then it's probably too close to be certain, and people will see it both ways.

However, some of the arguments don't really stack up, such as Kouyate being offside (irrelevant), the linesman should have put his flag up anyway because he wasn't sure (?) and so on.

Where's @MackemX to give us a detailed frame by frame account?
No need as what @ANonnyMoose said is exactly how I saw it ;)

The MOTD freeze frame line showed Rodwell's ankle behind Calleri's but Calleri is leaning backwards so it seems the top half of his body will be fractionally offside. Nobody can be sure but it was close but if this was Defoe instead of Calleri and we scored then we know the opinions of some may change.

Now is the time to move to the next thread if you don't care for my explanation of why we let the ball end up in the net rather than the onside/offside debate. Now I normally can't be arsed any more to do in depth ANALysis as it's not worth the time and effort so @ANonnyMoose is to blame :lol:

Now this "switched off" excuse seems to be more common now I'll have one go without any gifs. Players switching off is bullshit in my opinion as players shouldn't be switching off as much as we do at this level. This onside/offside debate obviously give Moyes and the players a smoke screen at to why the ball ended up in the back of the net regardless of it being the correct decision to be a goal.

These are so called professionals who are paid £10,000's but they don't justify it and if you can watch it again in more detail and focus on certain players each time (just like the fuckers who should be doing this at the club to stop basic shit like this). I see Danny Murphy also picked up this on MOTD as did the commentator on the live match and no doubt others will have also.

I've just watched it back as shown live as MOTD etc cut portions out and it's at least 10 seconds from when the ball goes out until the corner is taken so you'd think more than enough time to organise defending the corner.

So if you can watch it again, look at the way Gooch and Jones are plodding back facing the goal ignoring the potential short corner as Noble is still in that area so Pickford starts screaming at them.

Keep an eye on PVA also as he's in his own little world for a short while not facing the corner and eventually turns just as the ball is kicked and then points to #7 Feghouli for someone else to pick him up and then leaves him. He leaves him to go to Payet but not as urgently as you'd hope to see.

Rodwell was one of the 4 with his back to the ball shown on MOTD but to be fair to him he is aware of #8 Kouyate and tracks him back to the 6 yard line so job done.

Going back to the lone West Ham player beside the penna spot, Feghouli, there were 4 players arauond him within a couple of yards and they were PVA, Ndong, Kone and O'Shea. As PVA went to Payet, that leaves the other 3 with nothing more than being in that area. It's not until after the ball is kicked for Ndong to actually track Feghouli but even then he's not goal side at all!

So that leave Kone and O'Shea. Now watch Kone before the corner kick anarl as he looks like he just can't give a fuck and barely moves a yard during the whole move and his little shrug as the ball hits the net sums his effort up!

O'Shea isn't much use either and you'd think he should really be on top of this and getting it sorted. Why the fuck didn't one of them look or shout for someone to get closer to Reid before the corner was taken?

Some may think I'm being critical but they f***ing deserve it as they do it far too often. It's not always picked up as it doesn't result in us conceding a goal so it's not highlighted on here, TV or mentioned in interviews etc. The problem being, the more you do it the more likely you will concede and we've seen quite a few examples now this season. I can understand it at lower level but at the top level you wouldn't expect it to be so common place.

You can blame Moyes for so much but for me it's down to the players themselves in situations like this and just how much they give a fuck and the effort they want to put in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its either onside or offside and with the benefit of a freeze frame Ray Charles sitting backwards on a horse can see its onside. You the one being ridiculous mate :lol:

It's either onside or offside but according to you it was "easily" onside - that is a ridiculous adverb to use. You used it deliberately to then be able to mock those who are still unsure as "biased and desperate".

Forgetting the fact that actually there are many supporters who apparently don't understand the offside rule (couple in this thread), freeze-framing doesn't always show clearly when the ball was struck, cameras are not in the perfect place to see the correct line, and this can lead to doubt in people's minds.

I find it childish of you to mock people for this doubt.

It's either onside or offside but according to you it was "easily" onside - that is a ridiculous adverb to use. You used it deliberately to then be able to mock those who are still unsure as "biased and desperate".

Forgetting the fact that actually there are many supporters who apparently don't understand the offside rule (couple in this thread), freeze-framing doesn't always show clearly when the ball was struck, cameras are not in the perfect place to see the correct line, and this can lead to doubt in people's minds.

I find it childish of you to mock people for this doubt.

Anyone who cant see or admit that it is onside after seeing a freeze frame conforming it beyond any doubt as onside is 'biased and desperate'. With the benefit of technology anyone looking objectively can see that it is 'easily' offside, if you prefer 'clearly' you can have that instead. However you have wasted a lot of time and energy trying to justify nowt:lol:

It doesn't matter! His attempt at that header is enough to put the keeper off (as he has to react to the possibility he'll reach it), therefore he's interfering and offside. Simple.

You do realise that if not sure, the linesman doesn't flag, right? So how has he "got away with one"? Either he thought it was onside and didn't flag, or he wasn't sure and errr, didn't flag.

From FIFA:

The only thing the linesman could have known for sure is that the lad that was standing offside, was indeed in an offside position. How he could have made the call from his viewpoint that he wasn't interfering with play, I don't know. To me, he should have flagged and let the referee overrule him.

The only thing the linesman could have known for sure is that the lad that was standing offside, was indeed in an offside position. How he could have made the call from his viewpoint that he wasn't interfering with play, I don't know. To me, he should have flagged and let the referee overrule him.

This is a non-argument. The linesman correctly ruled that the person you're referring to wasn't interfering, and therefore wasn't offside.

You're actually criticising him for getting it correct.

This is a non-argument. The linesman correctly ruled that the person you're referring to wasn't interfering, and therefore wasn't offside.

You're actually criticising him for getting it correct.
I'm not criticising him for getting it correct. I'm saying he was very lucky he got it correct. If the offside player was stood a foot to the left then he would have been interfering with play. How the linesman could have made that call with any certainty is what I'm questioning. The linesman had two choices, go with what he knew was fact (that there was a player in an offside position) or (guess that he wasn't interfering with play), he went with the guess rather than the certainty. Luckily for him his guess was correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back