Not offside then....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get how any player in the box can be considered not interfering with play. He's a distraction to defenders at the very least.
I like the insight provided by the late Bill Shankly on this subject (wrt to the old interpretation of the law btw) "If he's not interfering with play what's he doing on the f***ing pitch?"

It wasn't offside like, clutching at straws.

It wasn't just.

But it should of been, defending that schoolboys would be ashamed of they should of get out.
BTW god knows what O'Shea was thinking when he went back on the line for their free kick, just allowed all their players to come another 10 yards into box. It beggars belief sometimes.

Just saw the goal. If that had been conceded against me, I would be very pissed off. How can a player standing in front of the keeper, obstructing his view not be interfering. I will say though that these are rarely given so there is consistency.

Because replays show he was onside when the ball was kicked?

He's been playing for us for over 4 years and hasn't conceded a penalty yet and he still gets slagged off for 'nearly' giving penalties away. He will one day and there will be a lot of 'told you so's' but how many goals has he stopped over the years by defending that way and not allowing players clean headers?

Palace under Di Canio ;)

It wasn't offside though. The West Ham players that were anywhere near Pickford'sline of site were easily onside. Anyone who says otherwise is biased and desperate.

I agree that it wasn't offside... but by a fraction - easily onside you say? Anyone who says that is blind as a f***ing bat!

Fair enough, I only saw the replays after the incident which suggested the West Ham player was offiside and blocking Pickford's view. If he wasn't offside, fair enough.

I stick by my point though, they should do away with interfering with play etc. if a player is offside, they should be offside, whether they touch the ball or not.
I agree with Gip here because even whether a player is interfering with play is open to interpretation. Some will say he is, sone would say he isn't. Just blow for offside and restart with a free kick.

I agree that it wasn't offside... but by a fraction - easily onside you say? Anyone who says that is blind as a f***ing bat!

For anyone who has seen the picture frame when Reid strikes the ball its clearly and indisputably onside. Great call by the lino at the time. It seems they get criticised for getting it wrong and also for getting it right if its only just right!

Palace under Di Canio ;)

For the benefit of clarity I did mean from pushing, shoving and pulling shirts on set pieces ;)

Last edited:
I wish they'd never messed about with the offside rule, even officials don't know when it's on or not with any real certainty at times.

If a player is offside, regardless of whether they are interfering or not, it should be offside, it makes everyone's life much easier.
Couldn't agree more. Been saying this for years. Far to complexed.

It was onside but I reckon the linesman got away with one. Can't see how he could have made the call with any great certainty that the lad that was offside wasn't blocking Pickford's view and therefore interfering with play.

For anyone who has seen the picture frame when Reid strikes the ball its clearly and indisputably onside. Great call by the lino at the time. It seems they get criticised for getting it wrong and also for getting it right if its only just right!

yes a great call because it was so f***ing close. btw I'm not criticising the ref for getting it right, I'm criticising you for the ridiculous statement that it was"easily"onside.

Apparently the player who was directly in front of Pickford actually moved there from an onside position when the ball was played....Rodders stepped out...:lol:
Off sides & first player hit the shot at the top of the box the second player directed the ball to the corner replay shows his foot hit the shot with the top of his toe who is off sides in front of Pickford slightly deflecting the shot to the corner giving Pickford not change and screened him. Fact is poorly defended but replay would have disallowed that goal....I slow mo the TV frame by frame off sides was the conclusion by my party in my house...everyone else watch it before you speak Moyes it right on this one...tough to spot without replay!!! I do not blame the ref though tough to spot...

Last edited:
Fair enough, I only saw the replays after the incident which suggested the West Ham player was offiside and blocking Pickford's view. If he wasn't offside, fair enough.

I stick by my point though, they should do away with interfering with play etc. if a player is offside, they should be offside, whether they touch the ball or not.
If ya in the 18 yard box then ya interfering simples...then take it from there

It was one of those that could have gone either way and it went against us.

I was more annoyed at the fact we conceded from a short corner. Total basics of defending.

yes a great call because it was so f***ing close. btw I'm not criticising the ref for getting it right, I'm criticising you for the ridiculous statement that it was"easily"onside.

Its either onside or offside and with the benefit of a freeze frame Ray Charles sitting backwards on a horse can see its onside. You the one being ridiculous mate :lol:

Off sides & first player hit the shot at the top of the box the second player directed the ball to the corner replay shows his foot hit the shot with the top of his toe who is off sides in front of Pickford slightly deflecting the shot to the corner giving Pickford not change and screened him. Fact is poorly defended but replay would have disallowed that goal....I slow mo the TV frame by frame off sides was the conclusion by my party in my house...everyone else watch it before you speak Moyes it right on this one...tough to spot without replay!!! I do not blame the ref though tough to spot...
collective fail by your party...... never mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back