Mignolet

Status
Not open for further replies.
His positioning was always really good. It's why he is so good 1 on 1 (which is why Liverpool signed him presumably). Can't argue about the kicking point and to be fair to him although he was like a statue from set plays we didn't concede that many.

We replaced him with worse anarl.

Think we only conceded twice from a corner under O'Neill.

He booted the ball out from a set piece under no pressure whatsoever giving possession to Palace, who went and scored from the following attack. The ball didn't even reach the half way line before it went out either. He wasn't wholly responsible but he has to take his share of the blame, goalkeeper or not you shouldn't just be booting it out giving the opposition possession that easily man.
He shouldnt share any of the blame just because he gave a throw in away like. Its ridiculous when it wasnt even in an attacking position.

Cackbabble
Made up facts mate.

Must admit I'd always far rather have a keeper who can kick a ball as well as Beckham, dropping the ball onto a sixpence, rather than some dumb shit of a keeper who just stops the ball from going into the net

He did. His commanding was poor as well. Didn't do well at coming to collect the crosses and dominate the defence.

He's got a move to a big club and is failing. People are too romantic.

You're talking utter nonsense man he was a damn good keeper for us and fully justified his move to a bigger club, his confidence is shot at the moment but it doesn't rewrite history

It wasn't like at free kicks he was always too far over to one side. Also conceded a lot from corners in and around his 6 yard box.

One on ones he did well yeah ill give him that one.

Can't really remember conceding too many direct free kicks. Remember Taylor and RVP ones (both under Bruce)

We only conceded 1 goal from corners in the season Oneill was in charge from the start and that was against Norwich towards the end. Think it was a shitty second ball goal. They were a mess under Di Canio like but players didn't know/do their jobs.

Think your being harsh on him. If we'd had any of the current batch we'd have went down no question. I'm not saying he's top 4/6 standard and always thought Gordon was better mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're talking utter nonsense man he was a damn good keeper for us and fully justified his move to a bigger club, his confidence is shot at the moment but it doesn't rewrite history

He wasn't "Damn good" at all. If he was that good, he would have moved earlier than he did.

He's done nothing for Liverpool and made loads of mistakes. Average.

Can't really remember conceding too many direct free kicks. Remember Taylor and RVP ones (both under Bruce)

We only conceded 1 goal from corners in the season Oneill was in charge from the start and that was against Norwich towards the end. Think it was a shitty second ball goal. They were a mess under Di Canio like but players didn't know/do their jobs.

Think your being harsh on him. If we'd had any of the current batch we'd have went down no question.

That can't be correct. WBA at home, Man United away, Spurs at home when Cuellar scored an own goal, 2 at Villa.

The idea that he- on his own kept us up, is bollocks. Very romantic and it's lovely to say it like at it but he didn't.

Last edited:
He wasn't "Damn good" at all. If he was that good, he would have moved earlier than he did.

He's done nothing for Liverpool and made loads of mistakes. Average.

That can't be correct. WBA at home, Man United away, Spurs at home when Cuellar scored an own goal, 2 at Villa.

The idea that he- on his own kept us up, is bollocks. Very romantic and it's lovely to say it like at it but he didn't.

The 2 at Villa were under PDC, we lost 3-1 at United and non were set pieces, we lost 4-2 to WBA and non were set plays & it's harsh to count the Cuellar OG when it was such a bad OG and there was no Spurs players attacking the ball (that's the only one other than Hoolihans goal).

Probably didn't make myself clear but the stat is from the 12-13 season until MoN was sacked.

The 2 at Villa were under PDC, we lost 3-1 at United and non were set pieces, we lost 4-2 to WBA and non were set plays & it's harsh to count the Cuellar OG when it was such a bad OG and there was no Spurs players attacking the ball (that's the only one other than Hoolihans goal).

Who was the goalkeeper? One at United came directly through O'Shea's legs after a scramble from a corner i'm sure and one was a short corner to Cleverley who scored a good goal. Reading beat us 2-1, i'm sure Jimmy Kebe scored a header from a corner. Might have been a free kick but it was airborne and the point about him failing to command was present.

There was probably more from 2010-2012 as well.

I'm not saying we conceded heaps and heaps of goals from corners, what i'm saying is that he rarely commanded the area and he never looked confident.

Who was the goalkeeper? One at United came directly through O'Shea's legs after a scramble from a corner i'm sure and one was a short corner to Cleverley who scored a good goal. Reading beat us 2-1, i'm sure Jimmy Kebe scored a header from a corner. Might have been a free kick but it was airborne and the point about him failing to command was present.

I'm not saying we conceded heaps and heaps of goals from corners, what i'm saying is that he rarely commanded the area and he never looked confident.
Westwood was in goal for the Man Utd one wasn't he?

I'm not disagreeing with you about Mignolet on the whole I was just repeating a stat that was used to defend zonal marking after we started to concede a ton going man for man. You're right about the United one however it says young twisted and turned before crossing so must have been short corner. Think we conceded from a free kick at Reading.

The stat in general showed what a help it is if the defenders do their jobs right and k now their role. Something that's not happening at Liverpool when you see the types of goal they're conceding. That's leaving Mignolet look shite however his defence are so woeful what is anyone expecting?

I agree he didn't single handedly keep us aswell however he certainly played a huge part and If we had a less conpetent keeper like the current pair then we'd have went down. Aye he was shit off his line from crosses however it didn't matter so much because the defence were all well drilled.

Re the bit in bold, definitely when he first came to Sunderland but was a lot better by the time he left. His distribution was still poor and he needed to continue improving to be a top class keeper, he's not improved the way he did with us and he has lost confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back