Ghostbusters

Status
Not open for further replies.
They've made absolutely no effort to avoid or contain the tsunami of negativity. Nor have they tried to gain any goodwill despite having umpteen chances to do so. They've just waved every criticism off as misogyny and will likely pay the price for doing so.

Well apart from the gender reversal that makes it an absolutely bog standard typical remake

I personally think the uproar is more focussed around the fact that its been remade at all as opposed to misogyny. Its by far the biggest 80's remake and perhaps one of the biggest classic movies to suffer the remake nightmare. The original had a slightly hard edge to it as well as some genuinely scared moments (to me as a kid anyway) that this new one appears to completely bypass.

Im just not sure what this movie is trying to achieve as it was never going to set the box office fire given the controversy around it unless it was radically different.

I personally think the uproar is more focussed around the fact that its been remade at all as opposed to misogyny. Its by far the biggest 80's remake and perhaps one of the biggest classic movies to suffer the remake nightmare. The original had a slightly hard edge to it as well as some genuinely scared moments (to me as a kid anyway) that this new one appears to completely bypass.

Im just not sure what this movie is trying to achieve as it was never going to set the box office fire given the controversy around it unless it was radically different.

Agree, the majority of disapproval is it's yet another shit remake. Some of those can be quite good - 21 Jump Street was canny for example - but it still comes down to, why not do something new?

One of my all time favourite movies but wont watch the new one. That melissa mccarthy might just be the most unfunny thing within the movie industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back