Burkini patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's an anti terrorism issue. More a drive to secularise France.
As said it's not an anti terror precaution, although the Nice Mayor is not defining it this way, he perhaps has another agenda. The ban, is seen as an extension to the burqa ban, the secular laws that France has, which also effect Jews, Sikh's and Christians, although only in government/public type places, buildings.

I also think it's probably a step too far, as if the burkini is not one of those full ninja suits, and just the common body suit with tight head cover, it's not a issues if they are down the beach just for a bit of pleasure like the rest of us. If they are following the husband around (you know what i mean), praying or preaching, doing the religious mumbo jumbo, then yeah, get them off the beach/fine them, although that would go for any religious nut really.

You don't get 100 lashes for not wearing X in France?
So it's okay to force women at gunpoint to remove their clothes to fit our arbitrary standards of dress, as long as the punishment isn't too harsh?

Did their religion play any part in the decision making process when they decided what to wear when they went to the beach, do you think?
Why does that matter? Do the police ask women why they got dressed that way this morning before they force you to remove your clothes?

If they do, that makes it worse - I can turn up dressed in leggings, a long sleeved tunic and a scarf wrapped round my head, or @janiep in her Bondi sun covering, and as long as religion didn't play any part in our decision making that morning, then we're allowed to wear it?

But the idea of the above don't offend you, as such.

If forced to partake of a sing song you aren't going to want to cut my head off are you?

If I dressed up as Santa on a beach in summer people would think I was a paedo

It's wholly inappropriate

Dress up as a Muslim, what do you think people's first thought will be?
Not sure. Probably that I was a Muslim. What else do you think they'd think?

I'd just think you're a bit weird if you dressed as Santa on the beach. If you covered your arms and legs, and wore a head covering then I probably wouldn't look twice at you.

Last edited:
So it's okay to force women at gunpoint to remove their clothes to fit our arbitrary standards of dress, as long as the punishment isn't too harsh?

Why does that matter? Do the police ask women why they got dressed that way this morning before they force you to remove your clothes?

If they do, that makes it worse - I can turn up dressed in leggings, a long sleeved tunic and a scarf wrapped round my head, or @janiep in her Bondi sun covering, and as long as religion didn't play any part in our decision making that morning, then it's ok?

I wish someone would arbitrarily cone up with exactly what we're supposed to wear and have done with it. Too much flesh...no. Too little flesh...nope, not allowed either. For fucks sake, what is the exact standard?

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
The more that Muslims can find ways to blend their religion and traditions with western culture the better for me.

We will get to know that they are 99% normal folk that just want to go about their business and they will get to feel a bit more part of society.

Now don't get me wrong their religion is f***ing crackers but so are all religions.

If Muslims didn't go round running people over in lorries, shooting up Rock concerts and cartoonists, and generally being dicks then they'd have nowt to worry about.

If they do, that makes it worse - I can turn up dressed in leggings, a long sleeved tunic and a scarf wrapped round my head, or @janiep in her Bondi sun covering, and as long as religion didn't play any part in our decision making that morning, then we're allowed to wear it?

Not sure. Probably that I was a Muslim. What else do you think they'd think?

I'd just think you're a bit weird if you dressed as Santa on the beach. If you covered your arms and legs, and wore a head covering then I probably wouldn't look twice at you.

You said it's their choice. I'm saying it's probably not. I don't agree with the ban or the way it's been enforced.

ok. jeans and a long sleeved tshirt and carry a bomb in a bag

if anything wearking a burkini draws attention to them. I I wanted to commit an act of terrorism then the best thing is to wear something where you wouldnt stand out
From what I've read it's not because wearing one is of any particular threat. More that following several recent killings of innocent French people by crazed Muslims the sight of clothing hat strongly represents that religion may lead to disorder and unsavoury incidents.

I can't see why people shouldn't be allowed to wear whatever they like so long as it's their own choice. What I cannot stand is religious authorities instructing women that they must dress in a certain way. That's pathetic. Many women will say they are happy to dress like that. But they would say that, wouldn't they? The repercussions can be horrendous.

The more that Muslims can find ways to blend their religion and traditions with western culture the better for me.

That's why the burkini was invented. Women and girls were struggling to do sports in traditional headscarves and heavy clothing. This was invented as a way of preserving their modesty but allowing them the freedom to join in sports and leisure activities in a comfortable way.

Not sure where I stand on this at all.

Why should somebody be allowed to feel intimidated by somebody else's religous dress.

Why would somebody dress religiously knowing they may upset somebody due to recent events.

Would they tell a Nun to take off her habit if she was upsetting somebody else?

It's a tough one.

The burkini ban is a step too far but I would happily ban the burqa in the UK.

There is a lot of nuanced debate to be had on the politics of muslims in UK and Europe. But I doubt it will ever be taken up.

Our liberal attitudes towards life are at odds with a much stricter code that is followed by many muslims. The muslims that have settled in Europe have kept themselves apart (not all but many have and on the continent they have been kept apart by the attitudes of their host population) and many of their actions and dress codes are as a result of being kept isolated.

The problem Europe has and to a lesser extent UK is what we do about it? What sort of society do we want? Do we make decisions that aren't in accordance with liberal principles?

I think there needs to be some shifts in attitudes from most sides.

It could turn very nasty in the coming decades.

Not sure where I stand on this at all.

Why should somebody be allowed to feel intimidated by somebody else's religous dress.

Why would somebody dress religiously knowing they may upset somebody due to recent events.

Would they tell a Nun to take off her habit if she was upsetting somebody else?

It's a tough one.

tbh the outfits are not so different to what victorians would wear to swim in.

Iùve seen hasiddic jews swimming in southend fully clothed. I have found it amusing not threatening

tbh the outfits are not so different to what victorians would wear to swim in.

Iùve seen hasiddic jews swimming in southend fully clothed. I have found it amusing not threatening

This is another nuanced debate. Does a small sect of people in the country doing their own thing make the host population uncomfortable or mildly amused?

Is it the fault of the people who feel uncomfortable and they should suck it up? What if the vast majority of people felt uncomfortable?

I must admit the burkini is not something I see as a problem. It is a small step in the right direction.

This is another nuanced debate. Does a small sect of people in the country doing their own thing make the host population uncomfortable or mildly amused?

Is it the fault of the people who feel uncomfortable and they should suck it up? What if the vast majority of people felt uncomfortable?

I must admit the burkini is not something I see as a problem. It is a small step in the right direction.

of course it is. allowes these woman to bathe and enjoy the beach. The olympics accommodated dress code for beach vollyball and other events

it may look a bit odd but its opening up new opportunities to these woman. it isnt going to change overnight but repressing it isnt helping these ladies on the beach on any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back